PDA

View Full Version : Tradition Structure Bass and Sculpin 12/11/10

Jackpot Jimmy
12-12-2010, 01:15 PM
First of all, I apologize for the lack of visual representation in this report. With that being said, I’m going to make this report somewhat shorter than it usually is.

The morning started out with a trip to the bait receiver, where we loaded up on plenty of live squid. We would be fishing structure bass the entire day as the Special did very well earlier in the week on the bass with the live squid. The ride north was a bumpy and foggy one, but the sun eventually peeked through, and with no sight of land, it was a surprise when we stopped.

Throughout the morning, we bounced around on some stones, catching some nice bass and a bunch of quality sculpin, that is, when we were over the spot. The breeze plagued us all morning, coming up when we were set up and catching fish. Then, it would push us off the spot. But the fish really wanted to bite when we were on the spot. The bass were anywhere from 13 inches to two or two and a half pounds, and the legal sculpin that were caught were of the jumbo grade. Most of us were using a 1-1/2 to 2 ounce leadhead with a mogambo and a live squid, but the straight leadhead and live squid was getting bit also. At one particular spot, the bass bites we were getting were very strange, as the bass would attack the bait hard, but when we would go to set the hook, there was nothing there – so, we didn’t have very much to show for all the bites we got, but we still ended up with quite a few nice sandies.

Around noon, Capt. Steven decided to make a run down the beach to try the bass fishing closer to home. On the way, we stopped at a sculpin spot, but they wouldn’t bite due to a thick layer of squid eggs (some of which was snagged). So, we moved on and found a good spot to spend the afternoon trying to catch more bass. We sat here for a couple hours and picked up some more quality grumpies, as well as some perch, a whitefish, and a rock crab. Then, while Morgon started to fillet fish, Steven set us up on a drift, and we immediately threw on another five bass. One guy who had been skunked all day ended up getting two bass on the drift. Then, with time all out, we headed for the barn.

We ended up with 41 bass and 12 sculpin for 12 anglers. We did pretty well considering the conditions in the morning, but it flattened out nicely and got beautiful out there. I ended up with eight bass and three sculpin for my efforts, with my biggest bass weighing around three pounds. I hope the bass fishing will get even better into January. Great times, great fishing!

This was the only picture I took as we were doing a drift and I needed to get back to my rod which was on clicker. Most of the bass were like the ones in this picture – pretty good quality, and the sculpin were of pretty nice size.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/001-61.jpg

k3vin_kim
12-12-2010, 03:56 PM
good job out there jim -

DANG look at the size of that scorpion.

murrieta angler
12-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Nice report Jimmy,
I love me some sculpin meat! It looks bigger then the bass?!
January, here we come!
Thanks,
Robert
<><

socalfab
12-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Nice report jimmy. Glad to see you guys got a decent bite on the bass. Makes me wanna get out there for sure!

JapanRon
12-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

Nice report ....... as always. Nice big Rattler for sure !! Winter Bassin' is on its way. Lite crowds, targets limited, and often great weather.

JapanRon

cjmedina
12-14-2010, 08:49 PM
The sculpin look fat. tasty meat

LA Smoker
12-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Hey Jimmy, you guys running any twilight bass trips Dec or Jan? Thanks for the report btw

Jackpot Jimmy
12-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Hey Jimmy, you guys running any twilight bass trips Dec or Jan? Thanks for the report btw

I'm not sure Bob...I will look into it.

SpinnerBaitKing
12-15-2010, 04:15 PM
What's the GPS coordinates or where did you fish? I am off for vacation and haven't been out on my boat for a while. thinking of Pyramid, DVL or off Alamitos bay. Not sure

Native Gal
12-16-2010, 09:34 AM
NICE size feeshies JJ.

NG

ghetto dad
12-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Nice job kid....by some miracle, I am going to try to get out there with you when they start totally targetting the structure bass....im gonna suck...im SO rusty on the salt now..lmao....

great report!

k3vin_kim
12-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Nice job kid....by some miracle, I am going to try to get out there with you when they start totally targetting the structure bass....im gonna suck...im SO rusty on the salt now..lmao....

great report!

now? lol - i'm j/p steve i love you dogg.

ghetto dad
12-20-2010, 05:08 PM
now? lol - i'm j/p steve i love you dogg.

im so rusty kevin..you can finally outcast me now bother....lmao...luv you too bro...lol

Jackpot Jimmy
12-20-2010, 07:29 PM

great report!

No worries Steve, I'll let you poach me. LOL