PDA

View Full Version : Duct DD, Strangers In The Night

yolo
12-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Hit the duct up locally last night and who do I run into? The one and only Khanh (KPN). I did not get anything at my previous spots and he was at a couple already and nothing for him either. We chat a little bit and I give him a "tickler" to try and I also receive a great KPN lure too.

Enough chit chat and Khanh is saying let's go kill some fish. I tell Khanh I want to try one spot on the way back. Well we hit a few more spots and still nothing. I tell Khanh I'm not feeling the spot I wanted to go to earlier so instead I suggest a different one. I could not be out all night and into the morning hours so we decide to hit that one last spot. We are both working it and nothing for like 15 minutes. Khanh is up flow. I am down flow a little. Khanh moves down flow and then I move up flow. We are working it and finally the first hit of the night comes on the tickler. It didn't eat it but I keep working it and it comes back and slams it. I set the hook but gingerly. I do this with my tickler thrower because it is a stiffer rod and don't want to rip the lure out. Fish on! It immediately surfaces and looks like it comes out of the water (hit in the upper water column). A very aggressive fish and it's moving good. I can't slow or turn it. Khanh comes running back to me with net in hand. I let it do its thing and we are tugging at each other back and forth. Striper elbow that never healed is setting in again. I brace the rod with my other hand as the fish is ripping down. Lift up, pull back, reel down but not much as it keeps ripping line. I finally turn it and the back and forth goes on as it comes nearer but to the middle. Finally get it to the edge and Khanh nets it. No need for me to go grip it. It was another AV chunky DD. I go to remove the tickler and it is barely and I mean barely on a small thin roof of the mouth hooked. I show Khanh and just barely have to touch the lure and it comes right off. Thank goodness for the light hookset or it might have pulled it right out on initial hook up.

We keep working the spot to see if anything else there but nothing. It is now just a tick past midnight and I need to go home. Going to any other spots would have taken me too far from home and I already did that route the other day. I give Khanh the fish because I still have some in the freezer and we part ways. I don't know if he hit any other spots after that but I was done.

Cool to run into you out there Khanh. It was a tough night in the AV. It took awhile to find that one fish. Wish there would have been another one there so we both beat the skunk.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2012-11-10/Duct12-11-10_2.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2012-11-10/Duct12-11-10_1.jpg

tpfishnfool
12-12-2010, 08:29 AM
You Da Man !! Very nice clean fish..

Lucky Lager
12-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Nice. I'm trout fishing up in Big Bear right now. I think I've lost my touch with the bait & wait. It's been a while since I've done this. Been getting bit up all morning, but haven't landed a single one.
I need to get back to the duct & throw some lure!

trail blazer
12-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Great job YOLO!!

Nice FEESH.

We went out last night also,,,,,,,,,,,,S K U N K,,,BIGTIME,,,,,,,,Not 1 hit,,,,,anywhare
\
TRAIL BLAZER

yolo
12-12-2010, 10:35 AM
lucky, just heard a big one was lost in your stomping grounds this morning. What the heck are you doing trout fishing when you have stripers in your back yard? :Big Grin:

TB, it was looking like that for us last night too up to the very end. I had a feeling and I'm glad it paid off but the skunk was sure strong up until then.

adicfor
12-12-2010, 10:41 AM
I better try to beat Lucky home and try to find that lost fish. I am sure he is going to beat me there tho.

sumojo
12-12-2010, 12:09 PM
oh yeah thats a fat one Yolo great job. i went out this morning and got a fat catfish 5 lb. will post later .

Double A
12-12-2010, 12:33 PM
good job on scratching out a fish, and a quality one at that.

you da man yolo

Lucky Lager
12-12-2010, 01:48 PM
lucky, just heard a big one was lost in your stomping grounds this morning. What the heck are you doing trout fishing when you have stripers in your back yard? :Big Grin:

TB, it was looking like that for us last night too up to the very end. I had a feeling and I'm glad it paid off but the skunk was sure strong up until then.
We were visiting my wife's family up there, so I snuck off for a few hours & tried to get some trout meat. Unsucsessfully.

Lucky Lager
12-12-2010, 01:50 PM
I better try to beat Lucky home and try to find that lost fish. I am sure he is going to beat me there tho.

I'm already home sucka! Rob & I are gonna go out in a bit

yolo
12-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Lucky, did you go? Anything? I got one mid day but nothing after that. Ran into several groups out there and no action.

tpfishnfool
12-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Hit 60th to 110 and up to muntz. Nada. Got a bump on a trap in the middle on the drop. That was it. Could not ask for better weather but need to get yanked on.. Next time.

yolo
12-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Yeah that seemed to be the way of the day with everyone we ran into. Mid water and on the fall has been the ticket for me too on the hook ups. Pretty much 90% of them too.

Lucky Lager
12-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Lucky, did you go? Anything? I got one mid day but nothing after that. Ran into several groups out there and no action.

Yea, we went out just before dark. We started out west, and kept going west. Didn't even have a chaser. Our last spot we tried had potential, there were a couple jumpers bouncing back and fouth. I worked the bottom, and the two other guys worked crank baits. One lipless, the other liped......still nothing.
We called it early because one of our guys had to be to work early. Another skunk for me, lol. First in Big Bear, now here. That's my M.O. for the day :)

yolo
12-12-2010, 08:27 PM
A lipped crank in that mad water. Guy must have some guns to keep that up for any length of time? :Big Grin: