PDA

View Full Version : Angler's Lake (Little Lake) in Hemet might reopen again.

sweetfish
12-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Just thought some of you might want to know about Angler's has a chance to reopen to the public. The following is an article about it.

10:00 PM PST on Thursday, December 9, 2010

By BOB PRATTE
The Press-Enterprise

Readers, some who live far away, discovered what I've written about the closure of Angler's Lake on the Web. They steadily call or e-mail to find out why Lake Hemet Municipal Water District's pretty five-acre reservoir in the Valle Vista citrus groves hasn't reopened.

Often, they are angry and ask why I closed Angler's Lake, which also is called Little Lake. They use my contact phone number or e-mail address thinking they will reach the water district.

It's not my fault. I only wrote about how the water district closed the pay-to-fish operation ably run by Scot and Robyn Hochstetler, drained the lake to scoop out mud and cleaned up its shoreline.

Story continues below

Bob Pratte / The Press-Enterprise
The Lake Hemet Muncipal Water District's board Thursday will consider options for reopening Angler's Lake in Valle Vista to fishing.
Upset anglers want it reopened. Walkers think it would be a nice place to stroll.

I stopped by the reservoir last week and saw a full lake that looked quite nice, but still was closed to the public Drought-tolerant landscaping planted along the barrier chainlink fence by Thornton Avenue has matured. With an improved pumping system, Angler's Lake now works well as an agriculture reservoir. It is filled with San Jacinto Mountains water carried by the district's ancient flume system.

There is a glimmer of good news to report. Tom Wagoner, general manager of the water district, said a committee's recommendations about ways to reopen the lake with a private operator will be forwarded to the agency's board of directors. Options will be discussed at a 3 p.m. board meeting on Thursday, Dec. 16, at the district's headquarters on Fairview Avenue in Valle Vista.

Wagoner said board members are well aware that there is high interest in reopening the lake among anglers and people who would like to walk its shoreline.

I suggested last February that twins Dave and Dennis Washburn, the fun-loving citrus growers, could attract the multitudes to the lake by opening a tiki bar and beach on its shore. He said my good idea is not among the alternatives.

Why not? Every community could use a tiki bar on a beach.

Marley
12-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Reopening the lake would be a good thing. The more places to fish, the better. I was never fond of the lake personally, but it was a very long drive for me and I just didn't go back.

Troutman65
12-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Yes, it was a far drive for me to the Little Anglers lake but it was so cool . I loveed fishing at that lake . I would go to Hemet lake first and if the conditions were bad I would drive down the hill and go to Little anglers lake and catch some fish. It was a great little lake to take your kids to get their fist fish on . I sure hope it reopends !!! Thanks for the update

formosa
12-12-2010, 09:36 AM
thanks for the Anglers lake update. would be nice, if they reopen that trout lake again.

LEAD DEVIL
12-17-2010, 08:40 AM
thanks for the info-please update if and when you can.

goodguy
12-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Re-opening would be cool. It was a fun little lake... I caught my first trout there when I was a kid with my grandpa on a yellow and pearl mini jig...

BigBass777
12-18-2010, 06:26 PM
That was a fun lake to fish. They had no limit on trout and an optional side pot for the biggest fish of the day. Going home and stuck in traffic on the 91frwy back to OC wasn't the best part. We'd get up at 4:00am and try to leave by 4:30am just to get there in time before they opened at 6:00am. We would get home at different times of the night and man was it a long day. Hope they open the lake again.

sweetfish
12-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Sounds like they are going forward to reopen this lake next year. The following is the article on it.

LAKE HEMET: Directors may bring in recreation manager

10:00 PM PST on Thursday, December 16, 2010

By GAIL WESSON
The Press-Enterprise

Lake Hemet Water Municipal Water District directors are interested in having a private company take over management of two district lakes for recreation uses.

They want the district's managers and attorney to attempt to negotiate an agreement with The California Parks Cos., which manages recreation facilities mostly in California.

Marshall Pike, the company's vice president of business development, gave a presentation Thursday about sites the company either manages or operates as a concessionaire, including the Diamond Valley Lake marina in Hemet.

A directors subcommittee comprising Patrick Searl and Herb Forst met with company representatives to discuss a possible a two-year management agreement that could be extended.

"I think it's a real good trial period," Forst said.

Searl noted that the district's Lake Hemet campground makes money some years and loses money other years.

"It just seems to me it's because we don't always keep our eye on the ball," he said, and the district's expertise is not in recreation.

The transition may come in two phases -- first, the reopening of Angler's Little Lake east of Hemet for fishing sometime this winter; and in spring, the Lake Hemet campground, which has about 600 marked sites, in the San Jacinto Mountains.

"We'd like to get Little Lake up and going as soon as possible," said district General Manager Tom Wagoner.

The small lake was closed in 2008, cleaned out and improvements made to a dam before it was refilled this year.

Reach Gail Wesson at 951-763-3455 or gwesson@PE.com

Troutman65
12-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the update . I think I would drive out for the opening .

TopwaterBassin
12-20-2010, 10:50 AM
I hope they reopen the lake as well. It was always stocked with good size trout, and there were some huge BASS in there as well. Reflection needs the competition back also. We started fishing Reflection Lake after Anglers closed down, and the quality of fish there is nothing like it was at Anglers. Scott stocked some nice fish there, and the atmosphere was awesome. I live within a mile of the lake, and drive by periodically to see if there is anything new going on, and to date, I haven't seen much. Hopefully that will change soon. I will definately be there for opening day. Thanks for the update Sweetfish, and keep us posted.

TopwaterBassin
01-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Anyone hear anything new about the opening of the lake??

tonfran
09-16-2011, 04:01 PM
anglers little lake has reopened. Its been open Wed. thru Sun. closed Mon and Tues., since Mar. 2011

Just thought some of you might want to know about Angler's has a chance to reopen to the public. The following is an article about it.

10:00 PM PST on Thursday, December 9, 2010

By BOB PRATTE
The Press-Enterprise

Readers, some who live far away, discovered what I've written about the closure of Angler's Lake on the Web. They steadily call or e-mail to find out why Lake Hemet Municipal Water District's pretty five-acre reservoir in the Valle Vista citrus groves hasn't reopened.

Often, they are angry and ask why I closed Angler's Lake, which also is called Little Lake. They use my contact phone number or e-mail address thinking they will reach the water district.

It's not my fault. I only wrote about how the water district closed the pay-to-fish operation ably run by Scot and Robyn Hochstetler, drained the lake to scoop out mud and cleaned up its shoreline.

Story continues below

Bob Pratte / The Press-Enterprise
The Lake Hemet Muncipal Water District's board Thursday will consider options for reopening Angler's Lake in Valle Vista to fishing.
Upset anglers want it reopened. Walkers think it would be a nice place to stroll.

I stopped by the reservoir last week and saw a full lake that looked quite nice, but still was closed to the public Drought-tolerant landscaping planted along the barrier chainlink fence by Thornton Avenue has matured. With an improved pumping system, Angler's Lake now works well as an agriculture reservoir. It is filled with San Jacinto Mountains water carried by the district's ancient flume system.

There is a glimmer of good news to report. Tom Wagoner, general manager of the water district, said a committee's recommendations about ways to reopen the lake with a private operator will be forwarded to the agency's board of directors. Options will be discussed at a 3 p.m. board meeting on Thursday, Dec. 16, at the district's headquarters on Fairview Avenue in Valle Vista.

Wagoner said board members are well aware that there is high interest in reopening the lake among anglers and people who would like to walk its shoreline.

I suggested last February that twins Dave and Dennis Washburn, the fun-loving citrus growers, could attract the multitudes to the lake by opening a tiki bar and beach on its shore. He said my good idea is not among the alternatives.

Why not? Every community could use a tiki bar on a beach.

tonfran
09-16-2011, 04:03 PM
anglers little lake has reopened. Its been open Wed. thru Sun. closed Mon and Tues., since Mar. 2011

I hope they reopen the lake as well. It was always stocked with good size trout, and there were some huge BASS in there as well. Reflection needs the competition back also. We started fishing Reflection Lake after Anglers closed down, and the quality of fish there is nothing like it was at Anglers. Scott stocked some nice fish there, and the atmosphere was awesome. I live within a mile of the lake, and drive by periodically to see if there is anything new going on, and to date, I haven't seen much. Hopefully that will change soon. I will definately be there for opening day. Thanks for the update Sweetfish, and keep us posted.

phishin phool
09-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Wow! Talk about a late post! LOL! Welcome to the board!