PDA

View Full Version : On the market for a new rod

ryanr0cks
12-07-2010, 07:13 PM
So today, i fished GH and caught 2 decent trout, after landing my second trout while casting my rod snaps!! It was a terrible feeling, but now i'm on the market for a new rod, anyone have suggestions? I'm looking for a 7'6 UL, thats what i was using today, but yea any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Frequent Flyer
12-07-2010, 07:46 PM
depends on the price range. you can always get a phenix, g loomis, or shimano for a higher price. Or you can do what i did and get a 30 dollar berkely cherrywood. but my next rod is definitely one of the more expensive ones

ryanr0cks
12-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Berkely cherrywood... thats the pole that broke on me haha, it was a damn good rod while i had it tho.. I think this time im gonna opt for a higher end rod this time, thanks for the reply!!!

bman90278
12-08-2010, 05:04 AM
How bout looking into a Shimano Compre rod? I don't think they have a UL in a 7-6 but they do have one in a 7-0 rod and they are really nice and they have a great warranty. Figure on spending about $110. If you want to check them out in person, I was just looking at one when I was at BSP last week.

brian

BRING IT
12-08-2010, 05:33 AM
BLACK ROCK RODS Blackrocktackle.com

Trout Daddy
12-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Bass Pro Shops has a good 7'6" UL for 34.99 on sale now...

old pudd fisher
12-08-2010, 03:59 PM
How bout looking into a Shimano Compre rod? I don't think they have a UL in a 7-6 but they do have one in a 7-0 rod and they are really nice and they have a great warranty. Figure on spending about $110. If you want to check them out in person, I was just looking at one when I was at BSP last week.

brian

I have one and like it a lot, its a 7-0 and casts a long way out.

ryanr0cks
12-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies!!! I didnt put a price range, but i think i'm willing to spend up to 100-150 :)

@Bman90278 I checked out the compre... it looks like a really nice rod and i'm really leaning towards it, i think it may be the warranty

@Bring it wow i just checked out your link, looks like the sell some pretty solid rods, i'm gonna do a little more research, but i'll definitely keep those rods in consideration

@Trout daddy I just saw the BPS microlite you're recommending the same day i broke my rod haha actually a few hours before i broke my rod, i thought it might be a nice rod to have, for the price its hard to beat soooo that rod too is in consideration :)

@old pudd fisher thanks for the input, knowing that the compre can cast way out is definitely important especially fishing those 1/32 and 1/64 jigs

bman90278
12-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies!!! I didnt put a price range, but i think i'm willing to spend up to 100-150 :)

@Bman90278 I checked out the compre... it looks like a really nice rod and i'm really leaning towards it, i think it may be the warranty

@Bring it wow i just checked out your link, looks like the sell some pretty solid rods, i'm gonna do a little more research, but i'll definitely keep those rods in consideration

@Trout daddy I just saw the BPS microlite you're recommending the same day i broke my rod haha actually a few hours before i broke my rod, i thought it might be a nice rod to have, for the price its hard to beat soooo that rod too is in consideration :)

@old pudd fisher thanks for the input, knowing that the compre can cast way out is definitely important especially fishing those 1/32 and 1/64 jigs

I wanted to add the rods u mentioned are all great choices in their different price ranges. I wanted to add that my wife and I also have a couple of BPS trout rods and we really like them...I believe they are the IM7 GS series, which is under the one you looked at. I would decide how much u want to spend and u should be fine.

Let us know what u get.

brian

Swank909
12-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Even with your price range, I think you should consider a Daiwa Spinmatic. Strong and durable rods, great for tossing out mini jigs with great distance.

ryanr0cks
12-12-2010, 08:47 PM
So today i finally made my choice and went out and bought my new rod, i ended up getting the compre. I went to bass pro and wanted to do a little comparison with a few of my choices, but i only ended up comparing the st.croix premiere, the BPS microlite, and the compre. I passed on the BPS rod because the handle was a lot thicker than the st.croix and the compre. What won me over was th lifetime warranty :). Well now the only thing left to do is test it out, and i'm happily going to do that tmrw at Glen Helen :) Thank you everyone for the replies, your input really helped out alot.

@Swank909 i checked out the diawa spinmatic online, looks like a really nice rod, but they didnt have it at BPS... but i think i may still give it a shot, i found it online for 39.99!! pretty sweet deal, i think i'll buy it for my dad or bro and see how it performs :)

Swank909
12-13-2010, 02:55 AM
Shimano has recently changed their warranty. There is no more lifetime warranty, it is now a limited lifetime warranty. They no longer do over the counter no question replacements, you must send your rod into Shimano and have the rod inspected at the factory to determine manufacturer error. There is a list of rods to which the Warranty applies to on shimanos site. All other rods have to be sent in with a reciept showing the rod is under 1 year old.

Shimanos super high price point (at least compared to their competitors) just isn't worth it with out the old warranty to back it up. Just my 2 cents...

MACKERAL KING
12-13-2010, 03:51 PM
So today, i fished GH and caught 2 decent trout, after landing my second trout while casting my rod snaps!! It was a terrible feeling, but now i'm on the market for a new rod, anyone have suggestions? I'm looking for a 7'6 UL, thats what i was using today, but yea any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/spo/2099148440.html