Kilo818
12-07-2010, 01:48 PM
real or dead fish? it looks dead to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3uBR4rvK9c

cutbait
12-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Real.

Mine came in same way, tb's too..

There ain't no landing a 30 plus if they have life left in em... fact!

Btw my battle only lasted 3 mins give or take

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Real.

Mine came in same way, tb's too..

There ain't no landing a 30 plus if they have life left in em... fact!

Btw my battle only lasted 3 mins give or take

I battled a 20 lbder for 17 minutes.....but that was 8 lb test and not in the duct...at castaic..
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/up_striper5-1-072b-2.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/up_striper5-1-071-4.jpg

A picture does tell a thousand words !....it certainly does not categorize as a fish story...

each fish is different..it's enviroment...it's metabolism...time of season...water temp...and many other variables (for those scientific anglers ! - NOT CUTBAIT !-ha ha ha ha !)

I cannot view U tube so I don't know what ur lookin' at but 40 lbder in the duct isn't that overall unusual...not saying they get caught everyday but theyre there and bigger ones too...

wish I could see what ur lookin at : (

Kilo818
12-07-2010, 03:21 PM
I battled a 20 lbder for 17 minutes.....but that was 8 lb test and not in the duct...at castaic..
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/up_striper5-1-072b-2.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/up_striper5-1-071-4.jpg

A picture does tell a thousand words !....it certainly does not categorize as a fish story...

each fish is different..it's enviroment...it's metabolism...time of season...water temp...and many other variables (for those scientific anglers ! - NOT CUTBAIT !-ha ha ha ha !)

I cannot view U tube so I don't know what ur lookin' at but 40 lbder in the duct isn't that overall unusual...not saying they get caught everyday but theyre there and bigger ones too...

wish I could see what ur lookin at : (

I know the duct has big mothers in there but watching this video it looks like the fish was already dead to begin with if you go to utube.com search california aqueduct fishing I think it the 3rd or 4th video down.

Thisfool
12-07-2010, 04:35 PM
just watched it right now and i watched very carefully for movement out of the fish and at one point when one of the guys pics it up the fish curls its tail and then at a different time one of the guys picks it up and sets it down and you can see the fish open and close its gills. Im not a doctor or anything but dead fish don't do that. and what cutbait said make a ton of sense if your only using 8-12lb test the only way you bring in a 40lb fish is once it is 100% exhausted. in the vid the guy says he has been fighting for about 10 min before he even turned on the camera. Using logic and not seeing any convincing sings that the fish was dead i would think this vid is real

eddiefishtaco
12-07-2010, 04:46 PM
The back fin/spines of the fish are UP!
that usually means the fish is alive..

on gletthemfeelstee's pictures the back fin/spines are down, the fish is dead.

on this movie you see a live fish with the spines up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLc0JdseOZE

keep on fishing

Thisfool
12-07-2010, 04:54 PM
yea just watched it again and at the 2:54 mark you can see the fish open and close its gills. one guy picks up the fish walks a few steps with it then hands it to a nother guy who holds it by the mouth for a few seconds then sets it down and you can clearly see the fish open and close its gills.

fishsniffin
12-07-2010, 04:55 PM
real or dead fish? it looks dead to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3uBR4rvK9c

This is not a fake fish. The fish was not dead in the video. I originally posted this fish on here when it was caught (I believe Jan 2010). Search for it on this website and you will find it. It was my buddy of mine, who hooked up on this beast. He called me for a few pointers and areas in which I showed him and he was fortunite enough to catch this fish on his second outing to the duct. He was only using 10lb co-polymer P-line, spro bbz shad KILLER GILL. He knew he was on a monster. Very slow to no flow at all out in the open with no obstacles to worry about so his goal was to weaken and tire out the fish. There was and still is a lot of critism of the catch, but it is 100% legit. One viewer says that the fish was store bought and thrown out there. My question is? where can you buy a 40lb striper. If some of you guys don't believe this, you can call Fishermens Warehouse out of FRESNO, CA. It was weighed there.

The guys were screamin like a bunch of girls, but hey it was their second outing there and they didn't expect a fish of that caliber to be caught.

I don't post too much on here because we are actually in the central california area, so I doubt that many of you guys will venture 3 and a half hours north to our areas of the aquaduct, but 7-8 lbs are the average as of right now.

I believe cutbait and trailblazer (being that they are from the bakersfield area) are the only two that may have ventured out to as far as the Kings Co. and Fresno Co. area, but don't quote me on this.

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-07-2010, 05:09 PM
The back fin/spines of the fish are UP!
that usually means the fish is alive..

on gletthemfeelstee's pictures the back fin/spines are down, the fish is dead.

on this movie you see a live fish with the spines up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLc0JdseOZE

keep on fishing
Not 100% a telltale sign...but I can see a bit of logic there : )

those pics were taken minutes after the catch..my fish was alive.....but extremely tired out from the battle

not to sidetrack the question of whether or not the vid is real...

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-07-2010, 05:15 PM
This is not a fake fish. The fish was not dead in the video. I originally posted this fish on here when it was caught (I believe Jan 2010). Search for it on this website and you will find it. It was my buddy of mine, who hooked up on this beast. He called me for a few pointers and areas in which I showed him and he was fortunite enough to catch this fish on his second outing to the duct. He was only using 10lb co-polymer P-line, spro bbz shad KILLER GILL. He knew he was on a monster. Very slow to no flow at all out in the open with no obstacles to worry about so his goal was to weaken and tire out the fish. There was and still is a lot of critism of the catch, but it is 100% legit. One viewer says that the fish was store bought and thrown out there. My question is? where can you buy a 40lb striper. If some of you guys don't believe this, you can call Fishermens Warehouse out of FRESNO, CA. It was weighed there.

The guys were screamin like a bunch of girls, but hey it was their second outing there and they didn't expect a fish of that caliber to be caught.

I don't post too much on here because we are actually in the central california area, so I doubt that many of you guys will venture 3 and a half hours north to our areas of the aquaduct, but 7-8 lbs are the average as of right now and usually limit everytime we get out (2 fish: 22").

I believe cutbait and trailblazer (being that they are from the bakersfield area) are the only two that may have ventured out to as far as the Kings Co. and Fresno Co. area, but don't quote me on this.

I beleive you...BUT: I buy live large stripers all the time for my posts !

Ha ha ha ha just kidding of course....very good point....didn't know anyone would acuse one of store buying a 40 lbder...thats really funny....

another congrats to your buddy on that once in a lifetime catch.....saweet !

as for going out north.......don't put it past me....I've already been planning me a 3 dayer out that way ranging all the way from San luis down...

I know what goes on up there and IT IS a long haul....but it's the price we pay for the slay....

I'd love ta hear more about your successes up there (not spot oriented-just overall sucess) feel free to PM me sometime if you are so inclined...

again nice job to your buddy...I'm sure he'll never forget it : )

Gary

fishsniffin
12-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Gary, whenever you feel like you want to come up to our area of the duct and need some info, I'd be glad to give you any info you may want or need, but you may not need any, as your tactics and knowledge of the duct is already enough to get you into stripers.

I read your post's all the time and see the success you have down there. Very very hardcore, spending numerous days out there and I can't imagine looking at the duct 3 days consectively (one of your recent post fishing the duct), hell, you probably dream the duct too. The one person on this website FISH-CRAZY enough to make that 3-day trip from San Luis to Bakersfield would be you. Only a select few are willingful enough to make that trip. But it's the price we pay if we wanna play as you say. As with you, you'd probably walk numerous miles a duct trip, I might only walk a mile during the peak hours and call it a day (early morning or late evening). But time on the duct is what makes you a more knowledgable duct fishermen.

I don't not spend too much time at the duct anymore as LMB is my primary fish to catch, lake (reservoir) fishing for that matter. We all know that the duct holds LMB also, but have yet to catch a lunker LMB (3-4lbers being some of the bigger ones), I don't believe there is any Florida Strain in there, but I could be wrong so don't quote me on that either.

I'll try to post some catches, if I head out towards the duct again, but here's one from this past weekend.

Saturday:
Fished from 4:15pm to 5:30pm. About an hour of fishing.

Hooked one on Lucky Craft 128.
Had two blowups on the Lunker Punker 6" wood, but didn't stick.

Sorry, couldn't elaborate more but you get the idea.

cutbait
12-07-2010, 06:26 PM

I don't post too much on here because we are actually in the central california area, so I doubt that many of you guys will venture 3 and a half hours north to our areas of the aquaduct, but 7-8 lbs are the average as of right now.

We fish Avenal south! I know that I know that fish was 100% legit. Hell, just two weeks ago TB and I got a 12 and a 10 and once on the deck those suckas may have opened their gills once.

TB very accurately describes the smaller ones as "spring loaded".. Once they get big it seems like they just "give up".. Always exceptions to what I have experienced though.

Here is another 30lb just giving up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rll5p6-ZtQ8

And this beast, though still kicking, once landed he was calm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY1aNXLR-IM&feature=related

cutbait
12-07-2010, 06:31 PM
FTS and fishsniffin need to get a room.... Quit the mutual arse kissin!!!!!

I would venture to guess they are the Florida strain, Spots, Smallies,Northerns..

Nothing surprised me about the duct anymore. Hell sturgeon has been caught off the golf course..

Whatever is in the Delta is in the duct.

Have my doubts about salmon though. But wouldn't be surprised...

fishsniffin,, heck yeah put them reports up. More the merrier!!!!!!!

Lookin forward to it. Just watch out for Yalo. Dude's into tickling.

trail blazer
12-07-2010, 06:33 PM
The fish and catch was legit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,DO DOUBT IN MY MIND!

DUCT TOADS are unlandable when not completely worn out,,,,,,,20 yrs ago i landed a 37 1/2 out there <MY PB, and he came in the same way,,,,,,COMPLETELY WORN OUT!,,,,,,,,Quite a few 20 somethings since then too and most were the same way as the one on the vid.

AND just for everyones info,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The area from kettleman city and up is putting out PIG DDgts every yr,,,,,Many in the upper 20s,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lets not forget that the CALI, state record came from the ONEIL forbay<more part of the duct then SAN LUIS> just an hr or so up from there,,,,,

TRAIL BLAZER

GREENSTINKYFEET
12-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Gary you confuse me #*@?!*<????!!!!! What are doing posting a castaic fish on the aquaduct page.i have fished with you and there no doubt you are great fishermen, but are we trying confuse the duct with a nice castaic fish ????? That post from fresno is very old !!! If you want to see some quality stripers look at what the east coast puts out every year both fresh and salt. Practice catch and release!!! Peace
?

yolo
12-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Just watch out for Yalo. Dude's into tickling.

cornbait, I am definitely into tickling the stripers. I wonder what you are tickling with your zipper down? HAHA. Never mind, I don't want to know. As long as we all have something to tickle it's all cool. What you like to tickle is your business.

yolo
12-07-2010, 06:53 PM
cornbait, was that sturgeon for real? Bunea Vista golf course? If true, that's way cool. I have heard of rumors of sturgeon but never witnessed one myself.

trail blazer
12-07-2010, 06:56 PM

I HAVE,,,,,,,,,,,,,All the way up to the BYRON HWY,,,,,,,,,and hwy 4,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YA KNOW ,,UP BY THE WINDMILLS ,

And everywhere in between,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Even snuck in to DOS AMIGOS a cpl times from the VEWING area off the 5,,,,,,,,hook,d a pig there but he BEAT me

Kilo818
12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Mr. KPN confirmed its a real catch and real size the only thing I found funny is they why on of the guys yells out its a 40 pounder right when they pull it out i mean thats amazing. Mr. kpn said its his buddies friend so its a legit catch. I know there are alot of monsters in the duct but this video

fishsniffin
12-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Mr. KPN confirmed its a real catch and real size the only thing I found funny is they why on of the guys yells out its a 40 pounder right when they pull it out i mean thats amazing. Mr. kpn said its his buddies friend so its a legit catch. I know there are alot of monsters in the duct but this video

Yes, KPN's buddy that you mentioned is a friend of mine's. I am the source, connect the dots.

Kilo818
12-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Yes, KPN's buddy that you mentioned is a friend of mine's. I am the source, connect the dots.

what dots are we connecting?

trail blazer
12-07-2010, 09:12 PM
cornbait, was that sturgeon for real? Bunea Vista golf course? If true, that's way cool. I have heard of rumors of sturgeon but never witnessed one myself.

REAL,,,YES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ive only witnesed 1 personally,quite a few yrs ago,,,,,,, but ive heard from trustworthy sources of more.

Are you aware of the 200+LBR COUGHT OUT OF THE ONEIL FOREBAY LAST YR??

VangFisherman
12-07-2010, 10:47 PM
that whole thing was stage.....i heard about it a while back....they caught the fish from san luis reservior...brought it to the aquaduct...and threw it in there at the pump with 50 lbs braided line...and starts reeling it in....what a bunch of loser...take it off youtube....u know why i know....cause those peeps were friends of my cousin....

fishsniffin
12-07-2010, 10:53 PM
that whole thing was stage.....i heard about it a while back....they caught the fish from san luis reservior...brought it to the aquaduct...and threw it in there at the pump with 50 lbs braided line...and starts reeling it in....what a bunch of loser...take it off youtube....u know why i know....cause those peeps were friends of my cousin....

Whoever your friend or cousin is gave you false facts. Which Vang are you? Who is your source? If you can't prove it then, you must not have a reliable source.

VangFisherman
12-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Whoever your friend or cousin is gave you false facts. Which Vang are you? Who is your source? If you can't prove it then, you must not have a reliable source.

i can tell u that they are from fresno....not gonna say no names....dont wanna make them look bad.....oh and heres one more thing about fresno fisherman...the hmong dude that previously broke lake millerton record with that striper is a fake...he caught the fish from san luis reservior too(o'neill forebay)...damn, all these faker....do anything just to make the book...u probably know him too huh...i know my stuff.....

fishsniffin
12-08-2010, 01:05 AM
i can tell u that they are from fresno....not gonna say no names....dont wanna make them look bad.....oh and heres one more thing about fresno fisherman...the hmong dude that previously broke lake millerton record with that striper is a fake...he caught the fish from san luis reservior too(o'neill forebay)...damn, all these faker....do anything just to make the book...u probably know him too huh...i know my stuff.....

In the YouTube bid, 2 are from Fresno and 2 are from Orange co.. The guy who caught the fish is a personal friend of mine for well over 14 years. You do not know your facts, you only hear stories and lies.
As for the guy who caught the 60lber, I don't know him, only met him once.

yolo
12-08-2010, 06:05 AM
REAL,,,YES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ive only witnesed 1 personally,quite a few yrs ago,,,,,,, but ive heard from trustworthy sources of more.

Are you aware of the 200+LBR COUGHT OUT OF THE ONEIL FOREBAY LAST YR??

No I am not familiar with it. Now I'm thinking maybe that could have been what my buddy hooked into with his 45 minute battle a few weeks ago. The water is down to 4' deep along the west where he hooked it so a fish like that of any species would be very visible but it's probably smart and headed to one of the siphons and it's just sitting in there.

fish4keep
12-08-2010, 07:07 AM

LOL.....you need a better, reliable source.

My bro (the guy in the shorts) called me when Don was fighting it. Then called me again after landing it. He gave me the measurements and I gave him a calculated weight before they took it Fishermans for an official weight. I haven't travel the whole duct but there's only one area that I know of that the concrete wall is that close to the waters edge. Most of the duct is 10-15' down. That area is about 80 miles from San Luis.......

Edit* Kilo818, I'm KPN's buddy. We've known each other for a while. Fishsniffer is also my buddy that lives up in the Central Valley. We fish almost everytime I get up there, mainly lmbs.

cutbait
12-08-2010, 08:28 AM

TRUE

I also forgot about the crabs in the duct.

Mitten crabs. 1998 and 1999 was overrun with them. Plugging everything up at work

yolo
12-08-2010, 09:01 AM
TRUE

I also forgot about the crabs in the duct.

Mitten crabs. 1998 and 1999 was overrun with them. Plugging everything up at work

Is that an invasive species? How was it controlled? That's one I have never heard of. Was it primarily a Bako area problem or duct wide?

cutbait
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Very invasvie. Over 1 million collected at the pumping plant screens. Fishermen never knew they were in the duct cause u don't get them as bycatch. The issues were in the screens,pumps and grates where they would get stuck.

They have been taken care of naturally. They can't reproduce in freshwater. Came over from asia on cargo ships and went wild in 98

Google mitten crab/delta/and aqueduct. Info is there

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Gary, whenever you feel like you want to come up to our area of the duct and need some info, I'd be glad to give you any info you may want or need, but you may not need any, as your tactics and knowledge of the duct is already enough to get you into stripers.

I read your post's all the time and see the success you have down there. Very very hardcore, spending numerous days out there and I can't imagine looking at the duct 3 days consectively (one of your recent post fishing the duct), hell, you probably dream the duct too. The one person on this website FISH-CRAZY enough to make that 3-day trip from San Luis to Bakersfield would be you. Only a select few are willingful enough to make that trip. But it's the price we pay if we wanna play as you say. As with you, you'd probably walk numerous miles a duct trip, I might only walk a mile during the peak hours and call it a day (early morning or late evening). But time on the duct is what makes you a more knowledgable duct fishermen.

I don't not spend too much time at the duct anymore as LMB is my primary fish to catch, lake (reservoir) fishing for that matter. We all know that the duct holds LMB also, but have yet to catch a lunker LMB (3-4lbers being some of the bigger ones), I don't believe there is any Florida Strain in there, but I could be wrong so don't quote me on that either.

I'll try to post some catches, if I head out towards the duct again, but here's one from this past weekend.

Saturday:
Fished from 4:15pm to 5:30pm. About an hour of fishing.

Hooked one on Lucky Craft 128.
Had two blowups on the Lunker Punker 6" wood, but didn't stick.

Sorry, couldn't elaborate more but you get the idea.
1st off, thanks for the response....

I appreciate that and thank you for the vote of confidence....

Just to be clear, (I think you do already know this though) I was not really soliciting any specifics, I was just inquiring as to your overall success.....in short....whether your catching fish consistenty out that way or not...
I asked for the PM as I wasn't sure if you wanted the masses privy of that info....

No harm no foul..... : )

I've caught Largemout up to about 5-6 lbs at the duct and yes I beleive they were northerns not florida's....

Funny, I grew up catching LMB and then went to the stripers.....your in reverse mode...

as long as your fishing thats all that matters !

Stay on 'em no matter the species and thanks for kind words : )

P.S.
If you want hawg LMB you really need to fish the lagoon at the right time of year (may,june,july- usually the later is better) I don't really fish for the LMB often anymore but I took a little revisit/walk down that road in July and destroyed their world....I landed 6 DD's in JULY alone and at least 16 in the 8 lb class....

Harder to get 'em going right now but the right time of year it get's sick.....

Anyways...good luck..

FTS and fishsniffin need to get a room.... Quit the mutual arse kissin!!!!!

MUST excuse poor Carp-bait…he’s not used to people being nice to him so he’s a little jealeous when other’s communicate in a humane way : )

Cuttbait…..no need to get jealeous…your advances will not work on either of us anyway (you already tried that grab arse cheet already the last time out…..that was when you ended up all muddy with Scott on top of your back while U were on ur stomach…dragging you up through the mud….you said it was landing a fish but we all know the reall story !

Ahhhhhh ha ha ha ha !

Gary you confuse me #*@?!*<????!!!!! What are doing posting a castaic fish on the aquaduct page.i have fished with you and there no doubt you are great fishermen, but are we trying confuse the duct with a nice castaic fish ????? That post from fresno is very old !!! If you want to see some quality stripers look at what the east coast puts out every year both fresh and salt. Practice catch and release!!! Peace
?
Awww come on Mark….let’s keep it real there…

Crack anutha’ cold one and think about what ur saying b4 u say it…ur ramblin’

Catch n’ release ? this aint largemouth we’re talking bout….stripey MUSDT DIE !

……….AND WILL !

Is that an invasive species? How was it controlled? That's one I have never heard of. Was it primarily a Bako area problem or duct wide?

Regarding those Crabs……

I think they treated it with some sort of cream !

bouncer
12-08-2010, 12:50 PM
it is definatly alive and real look at its fins!

Jim Day
12-08-2010, 03:35 PM
I've caught a bunch of stripes in the high twenties and a few in the thirties on mostly 15 to 20 pound test and it's quite common for bigger fish like that to fight until they are almost dead.

I got this one on 15lb spinning gear...
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/3193/txstrp.jpg

After chasing him down the bank a quarter mile and a good 45 minutes of fight time that fish came in in just about the same condition as the one in the vid. It fought like hell but it was beat whne I got it to shore.

That fish in the vid is obviously alive, and it looks every bit of forty pounds to me. I just wish I lived closer so I could fish there... LOL

Jim

cutbait
12-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Nice fish JIM!!!

GREENSTINKYFEET
12-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!! Awesome duct trophy. That is why i keep trying. Its great that the duct does not have a lot of snags and limited structure. I am glad that you did not post a report with a lot of zzzzzz etc. I am sure most fishermen who have caught quality stripers and could compare them with yellowtail, my favorite, albacore, yft, and other palegics could understand why fairly large stipers can be caught on lighter line. I wonder what are the ifga line class records for stripers?

Jim Day
12-10-2010, 05:10 AM
Nice fish JIM!!!

Thanks. Quality fish no doubt.

I hope I did not give the wrong impression. That's not a duct fish or even recent or local. I got that fish here.....

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1172/1302866866_2e167217b0_b.jpg

In the Red River below lake Texoma.

At the time I was supposedly going to school right near there and fishing commercial hook and line catfish in the river during the summers, but really I spent most of my time fishing for stripers.

I was averaging about a hundred double D fish a year. I now that sounds pretty insane but it's true. That was one of two 30 pound plus fish I got there back to back. The first was almost 34 and that one was actually the state record when I caught it at 36 pounds 8 ounces. The drag is I never got the credit.

I hooked it around 10:30 pm on a Saturday night and the only certified scales big enough to weigh it were grain scales at feed stores. Texas had Blue laws so all the feed locations were closed on Sundays and by Monday it had lost enough weight to be just under the 34 pound record. So essentially I missed the record by less then a pound twice in about a year. Word got out and the papers got hold of it so I ended up in the local paper.

Best striper fishing I have ever seen, and I really had it wired for a few years back then.

Local I've been mostly fishing saltwater. My largest duct fish is only 16 pounds,and I got that one at quail lake. That fish cleaned my clock as well but only because I was playing around fishing schoolies on four pound when I hooked it. :Big Grin:

Like Gary I got the need for a quality duct fish. I really want a forty pound fish for a new personal best. It's been too long.

Like Stinky said its great that the duct does not have a lot of snags and limited structure, and for me personally it's more like the river fishing with gates and current, that I'm used to. I just wish I lived closer so I could put in more time there.

Jim

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-10-2010, 10:15 AM
OH....U bass-tard...

U are taunting me yet again with that Lake texoma Dishcharge !!!!…

U posted that pic in my Texas report and got me all riled up !

I will definitely be going there on my next visit to Texas…I believe it’s about 100 miles from where mysister lives

Man that is one sweet dishcharge…..

Helluva Hawg there…..real girthy mama’ !

Saweet !
Gary

fishinone
12-10-2010, 10:30 AM
I wasn't there but that doesn't look fishy to me.:Rolls Eyes:

I've had lots of striper roll over and pass out after a fight, especially if they can make long fast runs. Even small ones do it sometimes, if you catch them on light line.