PDA

View Full Version : So Cal. Pier questions

troutdog
12-06-2010, 06:12 PM
I recall reading that you do not need a Ca. fishing license to pier fish, just wanted to be sure as my gf is in from out of town and wants to give it a try. Surf fishing requires a license, but surf fishing does correct?

Anyone been fishing any piers in or around Orange County? Some macks or maybe some ray/shark fishing would be cool.

Thanks in advance for the feedback and advice.

TD

candyman
12-06-2010, 06:40 PM
yessir the pier is free to fish on! if you want to fish for sharks and rays i believe the best spot would be up close where the waves break. If you want to just get some macks just use a sabiki tipped with some squid. Good luck!

trollmiester
12-06-2010, 06:43 PM
on the rocks,sand or boat needs license,but pier does not. hermosa wide open on macs. good luck

reptile dude007
12-06-2010, 07:06 PM
A man made Jettie does not requier a fishing licence

fish4keep
12-06-2010, 08:01 PM
A man made Jettie does not requier a fishing licence

That's only a portion of the regulation. Some "man made" jetties do require a fishing license.

smokehound
12-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Only certain jetties are considered piers. Jetties used to protect harbors are generally considered piers.

Example: The Wedge (past the beach)

DockRat
12-07-2010, 06:07 AM
The Jetty must have water on both sides. DR

Q. Where and when can I fish in the ocean without a fishing license?

A. Anyone 16 years and older must have a fishing license to take any kind of fish, mollusk, invertebrate or crustacean in California, except for persons angling from a public pier for non-commercial purposes in ocean or bay waters. A public pier is defined in the sport fishing regulations as a publicly owned man-made structure that has the following characteristics: is connected, above the mean high tide, to the main coastline or to the land mass of a named and charted natural island; has unrestricted free access for the general public; and has been built or currently functions for the primary purpose of allowing angling access to ocean waters.

Additionally, publicly owned jetties or breakwaters that are connected to land, as described above, that have free unrestricted access for the general public and whose purpose it is to form the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor are public piers. Jetties, breakwaters, promenades, sea walls, moles, docks, linings, barriers and other structures that are not the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor, are not public piers.

Even though a license is not required on a public pier, all other regulations (including minimum size, bag limits and seasons) apply while fishing from a public pier.

If you are in doubt about whether or not a license is needed to fish a particular location, the best way to avoid a potential citation is to purchase a license or find another spot to fish where you are sure that a license is not required.

Q. Do I need an ocean enhancement stamp while fishing from a public pier?

A. No. An ocean enhancement stamp is required when fishing anywhere in the ocean south of Point Arguello (Santa Barbara county) where a fishing license is required. This stamp is not required to fish from a public pier.

Q. While fishing from a public pier without a fishing license, am I allowed to go down onto the beach to land a big fish that I hooked on the pier?

A. No. A fishing license is required when fishing everywhere except for a public pier. Even if you hooked the fish on the pier and only came down onto the beach to land the fish, you would need a valid license to avoid a potential citation. Purchasing an annual fishing license will make this a non-issue; or you may want to buy a pier net to help you land bigger fish from the pier.

Q. How many rods can I actively use while fishing from a public pier?

A. You may use no more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs. Species-specific gear restrictions (such as for rockfish, lingcod and salmon) do apply when fishing from a pier.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/faq.asp

bassyakker
12-07-2010, 11:34 AM
keep in mind if you decide to fish off the surf, you will also need an ocean enhancement stamp.