PDA

View Full Version : Duct skunk

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
12-06-2010, 09:16 AM
First time out, ever. Tried a few spots on Hesperia, from some of you guys. Baited livers and stink bait for the cats. Lures, for strypers, were swimbaits, crankbaits, and jerkbaits per some of you guys. Moved every 30 minutes, was there from 4pm-8pm on Saturday.

Big skunk. Will try again, real soon.

Water wasn't low or from what I could see and no flow of current except for wind pushing it north, weird (?).

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-06-2010, 04:26 PM
keep at it and keep pounding it....sooner or later you'll contact some fish....travel light so you can move to and fro from spot to spot quickly w/o a lot of effort...

keep the faith....time on the water ='s fish

just a matter of time if you stay on it : )

good luck,
Gary

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
12-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks Gary, I will keep pounding on it.
One of the few places left to fish for free (with fishing license).

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-07-2010, 11:19 AM
study up on this....it should help some : )

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?29432-Aqueduct-lure-teqnique-how-to

Keep that lure deep...I almost promise you mkost of your target fish are in the lower 1/3 water collumn....but by all means try every depth but when targeting the lower register make sure the lure is retaining the depth not simply arcing up during the retrieve

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
12-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Wow, Gary, you are a wealth of information. Should do it for a living.

Thanks again
Mike

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Wow, Gary, you are a wealth of information. Should do it for a living.

Thanks again
Mike
Ur welcome and Thanks....all I ask iz:

"THAT U GET YO' SLAY ON !"

fish it hard....low and slow......slow current or no current iz where those methods are deadly...I cut my duct teeth using those methods !....

U can add a little popping of the pole tip here and there but one must B extremely concious of lure depth at all times..

I guarentee thats where 90% of the anglers trying their luck fail.....lure depth and the retention of the strike zone !

I would almost put money on it that the fish out in your region will follow an AV patterning but again that is speculation on my part so as I say...try all depths....as well : )

yolo
12-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Angler, My AV duct perspective is moderately fast and erratic but that depends on the lure. My experience has been most of my fish are mid to upper water column. I never neglect the bottom or near the bottom but I get bit mid to upper 80% of the time. If you're working lures with trebles down low be prepared for snagging and money lost? Jigs can be worked on or near the bottom with less chance of snagging if you want to work down low. You never mentioned what you were throwing and with what ratio reel so I am giving some generalizations. Everyone has their thing so absorb it all and take it all in and apply it all. I use high speed reels with 7:1 ratio and still crank pretty fast and move the rod pretty fast too working it. I also do quite a bit of upflow casts and work it back with the flow so you have to burn it sometimes.

cutbait
12-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Angler, My Bako duct perspective is slow and smooth but that depends on the lure. My experience has been most of my fish are mid to lower water column. I never neglect the top or near the top but I get bit mid to lower 80% of the time. If you're working lures with single barbs down low be prepared not to snag and no money lost. Jigs can't be worked on or near the top with more chance of snagging if you want to work up top. You never mentioned what you were throwing and with what ratio reel so I am giving some specifics. Everyone has common things so ignore it all and take it all out and don't apply it all. I use low speed reels with 6:9 ratio and still crank pretty slow and move the rod pretty slow too working it. I also do quite a bit of downflow casts and work it back against the flow so you have to slow roll it sometimes

yolo
12-08-2010, 07:29 PM
I thought for sure you would post your working slow and low with your zipper down tutorial. You got us all beat with that experience. We don't get that in the AV duct. Must be a Bako duct thing?