PDA

View Full Version : Victorville duct

dgfishin
12-05-2010, 09:25 PM
anyone have any luck here in the Victorville area at the Duct (395 or Phelan area?)

old pudd fisher
12-07-2010, 06:02 PM
I would like to know also about the 395 duct. I pass over it a lot when I go see my daughter and grandkids, I guess I'll stop and throw out some line and see for myself.

Marine_Michael
12-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Yolo caught one over in that area a few weeks back. The one time I tried fishing out that way we didn't see any signs of life, but that was probably just a bad day. Like any portion of the duct you just have to find them.

Good luck.

M@M
12-08-2010, 08:14 AM
anyone have any luck here in the Victorville area at the Duct (395 or Phelan area?)
TEAM CASTIN said he caught a couple 3 and 4 lbs. on anchovies in that area.... (1/19/2010 Under Thread-MOJAVE NARROWS?) ...... I have fished that area, haven't caught anything yet. Need more reports from this area. :Smile:.............I am going to fish the area, Hwy 138 and thru Phelan on Friday or maybe try to make it to Palmdale .Would be nice to finally catch another one. Went Tues. again in Hesperia.No flow, water down a bit.

yolo
12-08-2010, 09:11 AM
M@M, you might want to delay your excursion into the AV a little bit. The whole area is affected due to the draining of most of the duct and levels dropping really low in the rest. I think it has and will continue to affect the bite. I would wait until it gets filled and maybe a week after that for the fish to adjust and let things get back to normal. Just some info so you have a better chance at catching but if you feel like exploring anyway, nothing wrong with that. The Phelan area is not affected by this as far as I can tell. It's just the whole AV section.

kichigai1
12-08-2010, 10:06 AM
the 2nd or 3rd time i ever fished the duct we went there during their annual maintenance time and the conditions were the same as they are now.

Yes they have Stripers in that section and big 1's -As well as TROUT( big 1's) yes trout,Carp, crappie ,LMB,bluegill etc . they're going to be keeping the "Duct low until after next week " when they finish (hopefully on time their construction project .

hope this helps

M@M
12-08-2010, 10:50 AM
the 2nd or 3rd time i ever fished the duct we went there during their annual maintenance time and the conditions were the same as they are now.

Yes they have Stripers in that section and big 1's -As well as TROUT( big 1's) yes trout,Carp, crappie ,LMB,bluegill etc . they're going to be keeping the "Duct low until after next week " when they finish (hopefully on time their construction project .

hope this helps

kichigai1, what area are you talking about,Victorville, Phelan or Palmdale sections??:Confused:

M@M
12-08-2010, 11:04 AM
M@M, you might want to delay your excursion into the AV a little bit. The whole area is affected due to the draining of most of the duct and levels dropping really low in the rest. I think it has and will continue to affect the bite. I would wait until it gets filled and maybe a week after that for the fish to adjust and let things get back to normal. Just some info so you have a better chance at catching but if you feel like exploring anyway, nothing wrong with that. The Phelan area is not affected by this as far as I can tell. It's just the whole AV section.

Thanks for the heads up Z.would that include the Little Rock area
77th thru 96th, is there access at 82nd and 77th are they dirt roads?? Can't tell on google. Thanks for any info.

yolo
12-08-2010, 11:20 AM
82nd is the last legal access spot. There are no fishing entrances from there to 116th. 77th is paved up to the duct but turns into dirt road. It's all hard packed.

sawoobley
12-08-2010, 11:39 AM

hope this helps

How many big trout can there really be in the duct? :Secret: Wouldn't we have heard reports of people pulling them out? Wouldn't you see them hitting the surface in the morning or at night when the bugs come out? I wish it were true. I wish, I wish, I wish...

:Cool:

kichigai1
12-08-2010, 10:43 PM
not necessarily - for a variety of reasons but the main 1 being this was over 20 years ago they probably got eaten and now they have more effecient fish screens at the begining of the 'Duct. In the same spot where I caught the trout ( Phelan )
I saw a school of hundreds of fish 5lbs. or bigger consisting of Carp,Stripers ,Trout ,Goldfish etc. all bunched together because there was only a few feet of water.

Also you probably didn't here about stripers boiling in the 'Duct last year past the Grapevine. Myself and 2 friends got over 40+ stripers in an hour and a half with nothing smaller than 5 lbs. but also nothing bigger than 10lbs. all caught and released.

Not every1 posts there fishing results on the net for various reasons

M@M
12-09-2010, 07:45 AM
I was told by one of the guys driving the white trucks at the duct. That there are trout in that area at the check off Johnson Rd. (Phelan) He said he would see them around 4am......... I also was told that several years ago,when they lowered the water to clean out the duct. There were people with pitch forks etc. pulling out fish....... One of the guys also told me they took the water down to about 2ft. so only the fish that could survive those conditions did....( maybe this is why this area seems to have much less fish???) .....Sounds like they really aren't too concerned about the fish at all..... Just maintaining the Duct.......Sounds like the DFG aren't involved much??? I personally have yet to see any DFG personal at the Duct....:Sad:
Just what I've heard and seen in the limited time I've been going to the Duct

kichigai1
12-09-2010, 07:55 AM
I've known that they were going to lower the 'Duct to the precise day for 2 months but didn't want to say anything about it precisely for the reason that you stated above.

Sorta sad really people will do worse and the fishing will suffer for awhile - but someone else let the cat out of the bag already.

seal
12-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Sorta sad really people will do worse and the fishing will suffer for awhile - but someone else let the cat out of the bag already.

Those people that poach down there are probably locals that noticed the Duct being lowered anyway. They have in the past and do have extra DFG patrols when the Duct is lowered because they are very aware of the poaching in the past when it gets lowered down. And "letting the cat out of the bag" means people just reported on fishing conditions at the Duct which is what this website is all about, it would be nice if someone let others know that may be planning a 2 hour drive to the Duct that currently it is not really worth the drive.

yolo
12-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Those people that poach down there are probably locals that noticed the Duct being lowered anyway. They have in the past and do have extra DFG patrols when the Duct is lowered because they are very aware of the poaching in the past when it gets lowered down. And "letting the cat out of the bag" means people just reported on fishing conditions at the Duct which is what this website is all about, it would be nice if someone let others know that may be planning a 2 hour drive to the Duct that currently it is not really worth the drive.

Right on Seal. That was my intention to help M@M out and not make the drive. I have known about it for a little over a month and didn't say anything either. The fish have not been cruising around anyway. I was really shocked at this. They hid where no one can go get them. Good for them. I was really surprised to see only one catfish in a 35 mile stretch. either there are no fish in the duct or they did the smart thing and went to the undisclosed locations I think they are at. I think this draw down was different because it got drawn down but water was still flowing pretty good even at the shallow 4' to 5' depth. This didn't trap the fish and they could swim to safe, deep water.

As far as the "poachers". When it was drawn down on the west side in the 90's, the dfg was there and they let people take fish because they all would have died anyway. That draw down was down to the mud. I never got any myself but have heard of people that did but I don't mind that. They would have died anyway. Oddly there were only catfish and no stripers. The stripers bailed with the receding water imo. I don't know why the catfish did this time too. Maybe they followed the stripers, lol?

M@M
12-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Good to know the DFG is involved at the duct......makes perfect sense to let fish be taken if they are to die anyways........................ Thanks again Yolo for the heads up on the Duct conditions in your area. ..... It would of bummed me out to finally make the drive and have horrible conditions.:Crying: ..... All the "local poachers" are going to notice the lowered water any way as they drive by:Secret:........ Glad to know the fish are hiding......... they must of read your post. :Smile:

yolo
12-09-2010, 10:21 AM
The weeks leading up to it I was telling all the stripers that I released to go tell their buddies to run and hide cause trouble was coming. I did release quite a few so maybe it worked?

M@M
12-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Them stripers are smart!!!

adicfor
12-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Your fish talking worked Yolo. I went out 3 times...morning, noon and evening... yesterday just to walk around and see if i saw any cruising but there were none.

Lucky Lager
12-15-2010, 04:16 PM
How many big trout can there really be in the duct? :Secret: Wouldn't we have heard reports of people pulling them out? Wouldn't you see them hitting the surface in the morning or at night when the bugs come out? I wish it were true. I wish, I wish, I wish...

:Cool:

I can't see them lasting too long in there with big striper in there.....or even little striper.....I could be wrong though

cutbait
12-15-2010, 04:29 PM
This thread makes me appreciate the friendly atmosphere here in Bako a bit more. Thanks BAKO duct brethren!!!

Plenty of stripers for everyone even if "cats get out of the bag"

Not every1 keeps secrets and then posts on a report section that one has said secret successful fishing trips. :Big Grin:

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-15-2010, 06:06 PM
This thread makes me appreciate the friendly atmosphere here in Bako a bit more. Thanks BAKO duct brethren!!!

Plenty of stripers for everyone even if "cats get out of the bag"

Not every1 keeps secrets and then posts on a report section that one has said secret successful fishing trips. :Big Grin:

????????????????? what the hell did you just say ?

I kinda lost ur meaning there at the end bako brutha....

popn' the top on sum cold ones ?