PDA

View Full Version : Skunked at corona

phishin phool
12-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Fished corona today (sat) and got my first skunk in about 50 times fishing there. Well i should'nt say total skunk cuz i caught one decent crappie, but i was there for trout. I tried everything, lures, power worms in all colors, jigs and even power bait:( I was mainly fishin the dam/launch area out of a tube. i saw alot of people by the inlet but didnt want to join the zoo. For some reason I dont have the same luck on the tailwakers as i do with ruby reds or the others. If anybody was there this weekend post some info, this board has been kinda quiet this trout season. Any tips on tailwalkers would be appreciated too. Peace and Happy Phishin too all.

Trout 1
12-04-2010, 09:37 PM
I've noticed tailwalkers really like garlic!!!! I reccomend Bite-On Garlic! (there website is http://www.AnglerBros.com) Dip it in any color power worm or jig!

Andrew

sapdawg11
12-05-2010, 02:08 PM
The tips you need aren't for tailwalkers but rather for fishing crowded days. Since this is your first skunk, I'm sure you're well aware of how to get 'em on the hook! But fishing crowded days can be an entirely different ballgame...

If you really want to fish that lake, you can't fish it the same when its packed and when its not. You may have to try new spots, new jigs, etc.. It takes a bit of finesse, but when you figure it out, its game on just like when the lake is empty. The BEST advice I can give you, is when its not packed, LEARN THE LAKE and LEARN YOUR TACKLE BOX! Put a whole ton of tricks up your sleeve. If you're out there on a farily empty day and they are biting, try to get them to bite EVERYTHING. Too often, people catch a few and then toss the same jig for hours. You learn nothing and the bite eventually quits. If you know they are there, toss the worm, see what action gets them to go. Then see if you can get em on different colors. Try the entire arsenal. Move around the entire lake. Learn everything you can every time you are out! It'll be worth your time on those packed days where everyone wants to fish in a bundle at the boat launch dock but you know that you can go get em at "one of your spots" in the trees!

lovefofish
12-05-2010, 05:32 PM
hey you got a brown truck?I was fishing in a row boat then hit the shore. Ill post a report in a minute I need batterys for my cam.

JAG107
12-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Yeah it's been tough there lately, at least for me. FOUR STRAIGHT SKUNKS is no good for anybody, today was #4 in a row for me (excluding crappies, of course). Last year they were practically jumping into my boat, this year only two bites that were missed in over 25 total hours on the lake. I think this place has just been fished out from all the crowds, I don't think it's as stacked as they claim it is. I saw pretty slow action for everybody today, not just me. I didn't see ANY stringers with more than a couple fish, and that's including rental boats with 4 guys in them. Just been a tough season this year from the boat.

Marley
12-05-2010, 08:41 PM
The fish are there, for sure. I hit the lake just past noon Sunday and got a quick one in the very skinny water, then wrapped one in a tree. If there was one thing I wish they would do, it's cut out those trees! I made a short move for one more quick one, then a second move to a spot that seemed to hold a bunch of fish. I caught two more trout and a nice catfish there, along with a handful of small crappie that really wanted the orange Power Worm today. No reason I shouldn't have come away with a limit, I just had trouble hooking them today. What's up with that? I've NEVER have that problem before but this season has been different.
Half nightcrawlers, blown up and fished 14" off the bottom got me bit today. No love on the worm-under-bobber, and no love at all today on the designer blown-up mealworm. I saw a lot of fish coming to tubers who were finessing orange jigs and worms. I saw one crappie that was said to have weighed 2.5#. I believe it; that thing was huge!
If you go, use worms. If you don't know how, it's the best thing you could learn. The lake level right now has the entire mid lake area under no more than ten feet of water and while that is optimal depth, it means that the whole lake is optimal depth and you're going to have to look around. Give a spot half an hour or so, and then move. If people around you are catching and you're not, ask questions. If no one's getting bit, move. Try super shallow early, then move deeper or out to mid-lake. First direct sun on the water is the time to move deeper. Even though it did not work for me today, try a worm under a bobber. Same half-crawler, or a jumbo mealworm, but do not inflate either under the bobber. Hint: buy your mealworms at Petsmart and ask for jumbos.

catfish 17
12-05-2010, 11:38 PM
went there on friday with my friend and caught limits.

phishin phool
12-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Yeah I know I need to move around but its stupid crowded on weekends and i hate dealing with some of the "fishermen" who think they own the lake. I think 50-60 percent of the fish are gone by the weekend and most of them are found schooling in a few areas. I'm done with weekends, I have two fridays off this month so I'm gonna hit it then, even tho its still pretty crowded then. Thanx for the tips sawpdog (&marley) i've seen your pics and I'm impressed. you definately now your way around corona in yer yellow tube. maybe i'll see ya out there someday and show me some of your secret spots and tips. Peace.

Marley
12-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I try to avoid weekends, too. Too many knuckleheads. Try Friday, but also don't overlook Mondays. Those fish that got scared on Saturday and didn't eat Sunday, either, are going to be very hungry. Good luck!