PDA

View Full Version : WFO twilight trip on the Monte Carlo 7/27

troutdog
07-28-2007, 06:55 PM
To think I almost did not go fishing yesterday.... :shock:

I have been checking the reports lately and it seems to me the Monte Carlo at 22nd Street Landing is dialed in on the twilight action...on top of it the boat loads have been fairly light compared to Dana point, LB and Newport. The free parking at 22nd is nice too! So I left OC a little later than I should have, but got to the dock in plenty of time. I was greeted by a line of about 30 or so anglers ready to go slam some bass....still a light load for a Friday twilight trip in my eyes. I have been going to San Pedro for almost 25 years now and it always brings fond memories of previous trips and fishing friends that have long since passed having left me with pearls of fishing wisdom I still use to this day.

A great place to be on a hot afternoon
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/MCdockshot.jpg

After boarding the Monte Carlo I set up my gear as we motored South to the fishing grounds. I would say it was about a 45 minute run from the dock to the eventual spot we would never need to leave.

The ocean was a busy place once outside the breakwater
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/MCshipsnpurplemtns.jpg

To me seeing the sunset while on the water is like nothing else...this was a shot from the starboard bow area where I fished to avoid the elbow to elbow action in the stern
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/MCsunse.jpg

I knew we were in store for something good right when the chum started to fly and ..."Ohhh...BOIL,ohhhh.... BOIL" came from the deck and a plastic nailed a fish before anchor was even set. I had a plastic on as well and decided I was going to do this trip "JapanRon" style and only put the plastics to use. I could just hear him saying ...."fish the plastic, be the plastic." Admittedly I probably would have used some livebait if the bite was tough, but I wanted to try something different in hopes of a jackpot fish or at least something to make fish n chips out of! :D As it turns out a nice sized slimestick took the pot Friday night.

Ummm...the plastics worked just fine
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/MCsandie.jpg

A long fish cleaning line is a really good sign of what took place
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/MCfishingline.jpg

These guys were very busy and at a buck a fish made some good money I'm sure, we had to wait outside the harbor while fish cleaning duties were completed.
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/MCcleaningcrew.jpg

Here are a few of the fish I kept....my Mom, favorite sushi chef, apartment manager and myself will all be enjoying some of this fresh stuff
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/MCfishcleaning.jpg

I have been on many bass trips in the past couple decades and I hafta say this may have been the best I can remember based on pure quantity of fish. I fished the plastics exclusively, never touching an anchovy(they were rather small btw) and lost count after 35 fish....if I were to guess I would say I caught at least 40 fish easily. Keep in mind we only fished from 7:30 until 10:30 because limits came so quickly. Words can not describe how good the bite was....all I can say was non-stop all night, I never looked towards the stern from where I was without seeing a bent rod. There were quite a few shorts, so it looks like the spawn is just getting started! I went through a ton of pastics and later my new found buddy Richard gave me a couple of gulp shrimp to test out...I pinned one on my leadhead and got my biggest fish of the night, cool thing is you can use one bait for at least 5+ fish without having to change up.

These plastics did not fare so well during the onslaught...the leadhead pictured was solid yellow when I got on the boat :D
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/MCplastics.jpg

The crew on the Monte Carlo was top notch and I will definitely be back...Adam behind the grill was great and cooked a mean cheesburger, I saw one guy eat 3 of them. :shock: Good fishing with Richard, Gary and "fast-bass" Freddy(his 2 hook setup had him a limit in less than a half hour!) from Boeing...what a great group of guys. All in all a fantastic trip that I will never forget....this was more of a catching trip rather than a fishing trip! :lol: :

Get out there guys, the fish are starving!

TD

Ambassadorhawg
07-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Sounds like a fun trip! I will be back out there again on Tuesday. Hope to see the same level of action!

By the way, did you hear the Sun sizzle as it dropped down below the surface??? LOL, I always listen for that...

LBCBaller
07-28-2007, 07:42 PM
And I thought my trip was good.

I think I'm gonna have to try out the Monte Carlo next Friday. Probably load up on some plastics and lead heads. When you get into a bite like that there is no point in wasting your time using live bait.

olfishergal
07-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Way to go TD......u r the man....Bet thpose fishies were really good. I really want to go and try this sometime. U wanna be my guide? OFG

POSTAL
07-28-2007, 11:46 PM
nice work japanron would be proud of the plastic :D

troutdog
07-29-2007, 02:18 AM
Way to go TD......u r the man....Bet thpose fishies were really good. I really want to go and try this sometime. U wanna be my guide? OFG

I'd be your saltwater guide any day of the week OFG, you just help me keep my rod bent when we go freshwater fishing okay? I certanly don't live up to my screen name when I compare my stringer to yours at Irvine or SARL all winter...maybe you should be "troutdog" and I'll be OFG...aka OldFisherGuy :wink:

Got Salt?

TD

Oz
07-29-2007, 02:25 AM
awsome report TD...good to hear u had a great nite fishing for sandies and everything else caught 8)

boxl0bster
07-29-2007, 02:38 AM
i am so going this week! anyone want to meet up there or whatver shoot me a pm. i dont know exactly what day im going to go yet.

ghetto dad
07-29-2007, 01:02 PM

I'd be your saltwater guide any day of the week OFG, you just help me keep my rod bent when we go freshwater fishing okay?

TD

rusty..there are so many comments to be made...lmfao

great report and pics man!!! what part of oc you live??

JapanRon
07-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Hi troutdog,

Yes ...... most excellent reprot, story-line, and pics. Makes for a total experince.

Ha ha ha ........ with cuda or voracious Mackerel in the area .... swimbaits do take a beating .............. that's if you don't get bit-off in the first place!!

With the content solid ... next thing is to master a simple photo-editor to clip, size, level, and adjust your pics!! Picture It is a great little piece of (10~15 bucks) cheap software that I use.

thanks for the considerable effort!

JapanRon

troutdog
07-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Hi troutdog,

Yes ...... most excellent reprot, story-line, and pics. Makes for a total experince.

Ha ha ha ........ with cuda or voracious Mackerel in the area .... swimbaits do take a beating .............. that's if you don't get bit-off in the first place!!

With the content solid ... next thing is to master a simple photo-editor to clip, size, level, and adjust your pics!! Picture It is a great little piece of (10~15 bucks) cheap software that I use.

thanks for the considerable effort!

JapanRon

The JapanRon style was meant solely in regards to the "plastics only" fishing, I'll leave the professional reports to you my friend. :wink:

TD

one_leg
07-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Sounds good out there?

Nice bass Dude!!!

O_L

SOSO
07-30-2007, 09:00 AM
TroutDog,

I was right behind you, waiting in line for filleting. I remember you taking the pic of your catch. It was truely EPIC that night. Alot of fun on light gear. I limited out in the first hour like most people on the Boat, tossed Irons rest of the night. For those people fishing twilight, there are tons of Cudas also, they are just deeper vs. the day bite.

troutdog
07-31-2007, 02:07 PM

I'd be your saltwater guide any day of the week OFG, you just help me keep my rod bent when we go freshwater fishing okay?

TD

rusty..there are so many comments to be made...lmfao

great report and pics man!!! what part of oc you live??

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys and gals....I'm in Tustin GD, not far from the meanstreets of Fountain Valley!

TD