PDA

View Full Version : Fishing The Aqueduct

Kilo818
12-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Fishing the California Aqueduct can be real fun and challenging but thats fishing. Before I continue I would like to say im no expert at fishing the duct.
I Have only been fishing the duct for about 3 years, Tried alot of things some work and some dont but than again it might work for others. I did alot of
research on fishing the duct got alot of help from others and info from fellow FNN members they are very helpful and I would like to thank the o thnes that
helped me become the fisherman I am today. Gary (feel the steel), Yolo, Trail Blazer, Cut Bait I have read all the posts they put on FNN and it was very
Informative, So I wanted to Thank you guys before I went on.

As many of you guys know the duct holds alot of large Stripers and Catfish I have fished for both species and they are both fun to fish for and I would
like to share with you guys whats been working for me. Stripers are my favorite to fish for at the duct, I only use lures for stripers at the duct they are
very productive and fun to fish with. I use the KPN lipless crank baits for a number of reasons, The action of the lure, the colors, and because it an 1oz
lure.For those of you who dont know what the KPN lure looks like or where you can get it I will post a picture of it and info.

Fishing the KPN lure

Recomendations

7-8 foot rod

15 pound line (or heavier if you prefer)

Lip Gripper or Net

Ok once you are all set and at the duct adjust your drag to be able to feed line but tight enough to be able to set your hook when you get hit. You will need
to cast the lure up stream at a 45 degree angle start reeling as soon as the lure hits the water I would say about 30% of the time thats when you will get
hit. Retrieve at different speeds now that it is colder I like to retrieve slower than I normaly would but make sure you are not dragging the lure on the
bottom of the duct. Once you cast your lure up stream and start working it and if the water is flowing it will drift with the current while you are working
it. I also lie to cast straight across about a foot away from shore and start working it I give it a jerk every now and then it helps triger strikes. Never
stay in one spot for to long thats the mistake that new duct fisherman make work an are from 30-45 minutes if there is noting than move to a different spot
or walk up stream and cast move and cast you have to find the fish. Stripers move around all day back and forth they will almost never hang out in one spot
so the key to success at the duct is get out there and fish and most importantly move from spot to spot, try different things there is no one rule to stick
to.
You can use other crank baits as well I mostly use shad and trout colored ones fish the in different ways and see what works for you.

Bait fishing for striper or Catfish

Live Shad

frozen Sardines

Blood worms

Night crawlers

Anchovies

Chicken Liver

Gallions Corner in Castaic has been selling Fresh sardines for a few weeks now, They have never been frozen and work way better than the frozen ones. The
only problem is that they are seasonal and will not be available soon. When fishing with fresh sardines I like to use the whole sardine I do not cut
them up. I hook them from the bottom of the mouth and bring it up the nose. Use a size 1 or bigger bait holder hook, cast your line at a 45 degree
angle up stream and let the current drift it once it is where it needs to be put your rod in your rod holder and set your drag so the fish can run with the
bait. Put a bell on your rod and wait.

The rest of the bait that I have mentioned above you can use the same way with the same kind of hooks. I use a treble hook for the chicken liver I do some
thing special with it so the liver does not fall off and is not messy as tieing line to it or putting rubberband on it. I will have a drawing of it for you
guys in this post.
Chicken liver works for both species but catfish go crazy for it, And the same with the sardines but the stripers go crazy for it. Thats the fun part of bait
fishing you never know what your going to catch.
When bait fishing try to use light weight sinkers i use and recomend 1/4oz- 1/2oz I will have a drawing of different rigs I use and recomend also

The aqueduct is very steep so safety comes first please be very careful when out there fishing try to never go alone yeah it sounds funny when I say it I go
alone all the time lol. If you do fall in number one thing do "NOT" panic swim with the currunt and not against it there are ladders every 1000' or so.
get out there and have some fun... Please clean up after yourself.

If anybody wants to share info or if I misses something Please feel free to post.

you can get the KPN LURES HERE ON THE FNN SITE CLICK ON STORE AND CHECK THEM OUT!!!

Kilo818
12-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Sorry about the drawings guys I will put bigger pics those came out to be small!!!!

trail blazer
12-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Great job kilo!,,,great info

trail blazer

cutbait
12-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Spot on!! and good on ya!

Only thing I would add is the growing LMB population.

I'm sure if a guy targeted them he could get a dozen on a good day.

Good work Kilo and just about covers all of it and will certainly help the new duct fisherman get on some feesh

Kilo818
12-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Great job kilo!,,,great info

trail blazer

Thank you brother

radray
12-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Thank you Kilo for sharing. Newbie Duct fisherman as myself appreciate this post as well as the countless of posts done by our resident Duct regulars and experts. I am still llooking towards my first Duct fish and will post a report here when that happens.

Raymond

Kilo818
12-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Thank you Kilo for sharing. Newbie Duct fisherman as myself appreciate this post as well as the countless of posts done by our resident Duct regulars and experts. I am still llooking towards my first Duct fish and will post a report here when that happens.

Raymond
keep going out brother you will get them good luck

Cadillyak
12-19-2010, 11:49 PM
I would love to fish the duct. I am new to the San Diego Area and am not scared of traveling. Where do I go? How do I get there? Day or Night??

sawoobley
12-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Palmdale or Bakersfield. Hesperia also. Anywhere else north along the 5 freeway.

cutbait
12-21-2010, 08:19 AM
I would love to fish the duct. I am new to the San Diego Area and am not scared of traveling. Where do I go? How do I get there? Day or Night??

Man dude,,, Don't take this the wrong way. But If you travel from San Diego to fish the duct? That worse than Crazy. {FTS would though}

You gotta hit DVL, or the salt, if your willing to travel to the duct from Diego.

trail blazer
12-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Man dude,,, Don't take this the wrong way. But If you travel from San Diego to fish the duct? That worse than Crazy. {FTS would though}

You gotta hit DVL, or the salt, if your willing to travel to the duct from Diego.

Thats what im talking abought
,,Wish i was that close to the salt or DVL

TRAIL BLAZER

yolo
12-21-2010, 03:50 PM
The grass is always greener on the other side so I will take and keep my local grass (duct). Yeah it's quite a trip from San Diego to the duct and my choice would be DVL too if I lived there?