PDA

View Full Version : Using scent on lures

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
12-02-2010, 04:37 PM
You guys ever use scent on your stryper lures at the aquaduct? Shad scent? Or just straight lure? Or ?

TaperSteve
12-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Ive had great success using Bite-On Garlic on lures for trout, crappie, wipers. and LMB. Havent tried it for stripers yet but if it works as good as it does for the other species ive mentioned then you should def see an increase in catch rate and overall size of your catch. Bite-On works amazing on lures, give em a try.

There should be a link over here to their website ------------------------------------------------------------------>

Here is a link to some 1st hand results ive had using Bite-On on lures.http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?51387-4.61lb-Trout-and-1lb-3oz-Crappie-on-11-13-10

TS

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-02-2010, 05:11 PM
I almost never use scent in the duct myself but I rarely fish soft baits and that’s where I think it would be more instrumental, especially when your fishing slow…again that’s where it might give you an edge.

Others might tell you different but to my experience it’s almost always a “reaction” strike” where the fish doesn’t have time to rationalize or think about hitting it….smell doesn’t typically play a factor to a lure moving through the strike zone…

It’s the strike zone that is more the key ! getting the lure there and retaining that zone…

Sure doesn’t hurt ta “FIND” the fish either…that always helps : )

Scent couldn’t hurt at all but I personally don’t use scents there…

If I was going to use them I would use Shad bang or Shad Smelly Jelly

In other environments for stripey and LMB I definitely use them libereraly.

Hope that helps…
Gary

GREENSTINKYFEET
12-02-2010, 06:00 PM
I have seen a duct junky use the regular bang scent and catch stripers. he did not know if it worked or not but said he knew it did not hurt. I think it helps hiding humans scent and also tobacco scent on fishermens hands.

trail blazer
12-02-2010, 07:02 PM
JMO,,,,,,,,,,,During daytime when i use the ZOOM FLUKE there,s no doubt that the HOOKUP to HIT ratio is greately improved when i use a SHAD scent,,,,

Hit to hookup without the scent is abought 65%
hit to hookup is almost 100% with the shad scent.

I dont beleave that it caused me to get more strikes,,,,,,but i do beleave that it makes them hold on to the lure longer once they have ate it.

A couple yrs ago at a fav siphon of mine i was watching stripers <DAYTIME> come from out of nowhere and engulf my fluke then blow it back out,,,all in the blink of an eye,,,way before i could even set the hook,this happend 5 or 6 times in as many casts,,,,,,,,,,,i put a little scent<SHAD>on and the next cast it was on!!

pulld 5 out in the next few minutes just before dark without missing another 1.

This isnt the only time that this has happend to my.

I personally am 100 % sure that it will increase your hit to hookup ratio,.

TRAIL BLAZER

yolo
12-02-2010, 08:53 PM
I guess we all have our own things and ideas but I never use scent and pretty much throw mostly plastics and my hook ups to bites ratios are really high. They have to be in the AV cause we don't get many bites here and have to make them count. It's when they are in a smacking mood on the lipless cranks that bugs me. 2 trebles can't hook them, lol.

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-03-2010, 11:20 AM
A couple yrs ago at a fav siphon of mine i was watching stripers <DAYTIME> come from out of nowhere and engulf my fluke then blow it back out,,,

all in the blink of an eye,,,way before i could even set the hook

Thats just because you've gotten old....

And slow !

LMAO !

10 years ago (when you were about 50)....a lightning quick hookset would have been administered...and the deal sealed without the superglue you are applying to your fluke !

LMAO ! : )

Kilo818
12-03-2010, 11:40 AM
JMO,,,,,,,,,,,During daytime when i use the ZOOM FLUKE there,s no doubt that the HOOKUP to HIT ratio is greately improved when i use a SHAD scent,,,,

Hit to hookup without the scent is abought 65%
hit to hookup is almost 100% with the shad scent.

I dont beleave that it caused me to get more strikes,,,,,,but i do beleave that it makes them hold on to the lure longer once they have ate it.

A couple yrs ago at a fav siphon of mine i was watching stripers <DAYTIME> come from out of nowhere and engulf my fluke then blow it back out,,,all in the blink of an eye,,,way before i could even set the hook,this happend 5 or 6 times in as many casts,,,,,,,,,,,i put a little scent<SHAD>on and the next cast it was on!!

pulld 5 out in the next few minutes just before dark without missing another 1.

This isnt the only time that this has happend to my.

I personally am 100 % sure that it will increase your hit to hookup ratio,.

TRAIL BLAZER
very true they hold on longer thats when u get a better chance of hook up