PDA

View Full Version : Duct Loner Hooked

yolo
12-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Took the long way to work this morning and stopped by a few spots in the far west AV. It started with water level at 12' close to home and slowly started working its way down to about 5' deep at the lowest I saw. Had no hopes of getting bit or even catching a fish but I managed to pull one off. Water was probably only 6' deep at one spot and I cast out and first cast get nailed and fish on. There's barely any water in the thing. I am now thinking how I will land it cause I'm not going down that steep slope. It was a decent size too so I just decide to drag it up the side and hope my 15lb Cabelas flouro holds. I knew my knot would hold. I start to drag it up and keep some bend in my rod to take some of the tension and stress off the line and I manage to slid and sling it up. Another nice fish hits the asphalt.

Poor striper was out all alone cause when the water drops and gets drained like this the stripers bail and hide in special places that lures can't get to. I was so shocked to even nail one but I will take it. Got him on a soft jerk bait. Didn't throw the tickler when I saw the water was shallower than my swimming pool. No other biters anywhere. Like I said, I'm shocked this straggler was even around. Found a KPN and a bucktail at one spot way down low on the ladder rungs. No other lures spotted anywhere else I stopped. The duct is going to suck until the water is back up. Will add pics later on when I get home and get them off my camera.

Everyone go to Bakersfield!

The loner fish
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2012-2-10/Duct12-2-10_1.jpg

The gate that had icicles last week is 8' out of the water so no icicles can form now.
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2012-2-10/Duct12-11-10_LowWaterNoIcicles.jpg

Low water 1
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2012-2-10/Duct12-11-10_LowWater1.jpg

Low water 2
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2012-2-10/Duct12-11-10_LowWater2.jpg

Low water 3
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2012-2-10/Duct12-11-10_LowWater3.jpg

adicfor
12-02-2010, 11:45 AM
How far west did you make it? Did you make it past my neck of the woods? I planned on going out this evening but not if the water is that low. Maybe I can get some of my lures back tho.

yolo
12-02-2010, 11:58 AM
I went all the way to I-5 and came down that to my shop in the SF Valley. I don't know where your neck of the woods is but I'll guess you go either to Johnson or Munz. Johnson was about 9' or 10' of water. Didn't hit Munz but I'm guessing same or a little lower. It really dropped at 195th and there was maybe 7' of water? Lancaster road was about 6' and then 280th was 5' on the backside and maybe 9' on the front side. Talked to the water guy driving by and said it was going to drop some more and will be down for a few weeks. I actually came upon this info a couple of weeks ago at an early Thanksgiving party from a guest that was also at the party that I met. I knew about it but kept it to myself. I didn't think such a large area would be drawn down though. Water was still moving though and at a pretty good pace but it's just super shallow.

adicfor
12-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks. Munz and Johnson are my areas but i also go west from there. Thanks for the info.

Double A
12-02-2010, 12:24 PM
damn yolo... ive got a bucket in my backyard that still has a little rain water in it. can you cruise by and see if there's any stripers in it ?! :)

good job on finding ANYTHING in those conditions

Kilo818
12-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Everyone go to Bakersfield![/QUOTE]

yolo it aint any better in bako water level has droped about a foot and for some reason theres alot of salad there again i was there the day before yesterday it was perfect no weeds went there again last night and every cast the lures were picking up a hole lot of weeds i dont know what thats about.

yolo
12-02-2010, 02:22 PM
damn yolo... ive got a bucket in my backyard that still has a little rain water in it. can you cruise by and see if there's any stripers in it ?! :)

Let's go fish the bucket :)

Everyone go to Bakersfield!

yolo it aint any better in bako water level has droped about a foot and for some reason theres alot of salad there again i was there the day before yesterday it was perfect no weeds went there again last night and every cast the lures were picking up a hole lot of weeds i dont know what thats about.[/QUOTE]

A foot is nothing out there considering it is nearly twice as deep. Check the pics out that I added to my post. Now that is a serious water level drop and change. I could have jumped in and not been under water.

adicfor
12-02-2010, 02:31 PM
That is low. I am going to bring my skateboard tonight incase its completely dry by the time i get there. Nice fish as usual.

yolo
12-02-2010, 02:57 PM
That or an inner tube. Looks like a fun water slide.

Double A
12-02-2010, 03:24 PM
down for a few weeks ?

im gonna have withdrawls :(

yolo
12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Go to Bako.

Kilo818
12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
A foot is nothing out there considering it is nearly twice as deep. Check the pics out that I added to my post. Now that is a serious water level drop and change. I could have jumped in and not been under water.[/QUOTE]

damn yolo that is a major drop from when I was there on saturday how long is it gonna be like that?

yolo
12-02-2010, 04:28 PM
A few weeks. It's supposed to drop a little more even.

cutbait
12-02-2010, 04:28 PM
FYI,,, Bakersfield is the same way!!!!!!

Low, low

trail blazer
12-02-2010, 07:25 PM
NOTE TO ALL!!!

BAKO DUCT IS COMPLETELY DRY,,,,,,,,,STAY AWAY!!!!!LOL

C,MON YOLO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dont start another northern migration,,,,,,,,,there is enough pressure on our duct up here allready,,,,,,,,.

THERE ARE NO STRIPERS NORTH OF QUAIL LAKE!!!LOL

TRAIL BLAZER

cutbait
12-02-2010, 08:41 PM
NOTE TO ALL!!!

BAKO DUCT IS COMPLETELY DRY,,,,,,,,,STAY AWAY!!!!!LOL

C,MON YOLO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dont start another northern migration,,,,,,,,,there is enough pressure on our duct up here allready,,,,,,,,.

THERE ARE NO STRIPERS NORTH OF QUAIL LAKE!!!LOL

TRAIL BLAZER

OH, YEAH,,,,, TB and I got massive limits at quial... like limits of 25lbers... ALL on topwater too, EVERYCAST..

If I was you, I would go to quail....

Nevermind Bako!!!!!! GO TO QUAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

trail blazer
12-02-2010, 08:47 PM
oh, yeah,,,,, tb and i got massive limits at quial... Like limits of 25lbers... All on topwater too, everycast..

If i was you, i would go to quail....

Nevermind bako!!!!!! Go to quail!!!!!!!!!!!!

yaaaaaa yaaaaaaaaaa,,,,go to quail!!

yolo
12-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Fine go to Quail. I was just trying to be helpful and not have people drive out to AV duct and go oh chit let's fish the puddles. Fishing Double A's bucket would be just as productive :LOL:

Everybody, go fish Castaic or Pyramid. There are no fish in the duct anyway.

I bet the territorial BIG BERTHA that fought for 45 minutes is nowhere near where she was hooked. The water might not even cover her? Darn it just when we were going to keep hunting for her in the general vicinity this happens and it made her move. Maybe 25 more years of duct fishing to find her or one like her :Sad:

yolo
12-02-2010, 09:11 PM
If I get the itch, I might even go to Bako if the water here sucks but I will catch and release so you guys can catch them again. Kinda like I do here in the AV for Khanh :Big Grin:

Double A
12-02-2010, 09:20 PM
im gonna stick wit da bucket... less gas $$

yolo
12-02-2010, 09:29 PM
That is true but since you live in Castaic, the lake is right there too or is that what you meant with the bucket in your backyard?

Double A
12-02-2010, 09:40 PM
no, literally a bucket. seeing how you pulled that feeesh outta that drained duct, you could probly pull one out of a bucket... like a rabbit out of a hat

as far as castaic... very rarely can i toss out a filleted dine and then just sit n wait.

maybe once they start keying on trout.

guess i'll try quail... TB n CB said its hott right now. wait, wutz a quail

cutbait
12-03-2010, 06:07 AM
If I get the itch, I might even go to Bako if the water here sucks but I will catch and release so you guys can catch them again. Kinda like I do here in the AV for Khanh :Big Grin:

Where is Khanh? Haven't seen or heard from him in a long time?

trail blazer
12-03-2010, 06:32 AM

LOL

C,mon out YOLO,,,,,,,,,There,s room foe everybody up here,,,,,,Give us a little heads up and maby we,l meet up with ya somewhere.,,,,,,,Then you can be there while i school CUT BAIT ,once again,,LOL on the striper slay!.,OOO and by the way,,,,,,,,,,,all my catches are 1st timers,,,,You know,,the smarter ones,,,,,,,,,,I just bypass all the DUMMER ones and leave them for everybody else,<C,B,,GLFTS,>,,,,,,JUST TO KEEP IT CHALLENGING for myself:LOL:

So go ahead and keep all you want cause those WONT be the one,s IM looking for anyway:Wink:lol

TRAIL BLAZER

yolo
12-03-2010, 06:59 AM
OK sounds good. Believe it or not, I was on the cusp of going there yesterday until that loner came along. That would have really been the long, long way to work. It was on my mind as every spot I went to looked like a little hot tub. I knew it was going to be like that but still wanted to go and check things out, being the curious duct person that I am. Then the "no fish in this little water theories" were bouncing around in my head and felt like catching something. Well I'm glad the loner was there and kept me from driving that extra 90 miles round trip.

trail blazer
12-03-2010, 07:45 AM

Yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Where is our STRIPER KILLING ASIAN brother from another mother?,,,,,Im missing his posts!
AND HIM!

TRAIL BLAZER

yolo
12-03-2010, 08:07 AM
You will have to ask him that.

cutbait
12-03-2010, 09:02 AM
That is true but since you live in Castaic, the lake is right there too or is that what you meant with the bucket in your backyard?

Awww the big water...

Come on out and well take u to the" pumphouse" spot

Geraldlim
12-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Lots of smack talk, yesss.
You duct pussies are whining about low water? Out here nearer town much of the Coachella Canal is 5 or 6 feet deep at HIGH water below the drops! LOL
Low water can be 2 feet or less. Hard to fish. And it is narrow too!

Wish our canal was like your duct, sigh.

Double A
12-03-2010, 10:00 AM
:ROFL::ROFL:
Awww the big water...

Come on out and well take u to the" pumphouse" spot

a little leary of Bako

as i prefer to fish with my zipper UP !

and those pastures full of

? "ex girlfriends" ?:LOL:

yolo
12-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Open fly's and pumphouse references. You guys sure you fish out there or do something else? :ROFL:

if you promise to keep the fly zipped I could handle the pumphouse?

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-03-2010, 04:02 PM
yaaaaaa yaaaaaaaaaa,,,,go to quail!!
I laid a late night slay on at quail ...a little while back...3 huge toad kitties and 4-5 stripey...

Might be hittin it again sat night ! north shore downstream of inlet

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-03-2010, 04:07 PM
LOL

Then you can be there while i school CUT BAIT ,once again,,

I just bypass all the DUMMER ones and leave them for everybody else,<C,B,,GLFTS,>,,,,,,JUST TO KEEP IT CHALLENGING for myself:LOL:

Scott:
I noticed ya didn't mention a schooling where my name followed that statement there my redneck patrol buddy...

Schooling CB is as simple as fishing a small mini jig and slayin a 2-4 oz micro stripey...no feat there : )

Dumb
Fat
Feisty

Go ahead and leave 'em....they won't be using their brains as their scrambling in my skillet !

HaiTheMeister
12-05-2010, 11:47 AM

LOL. I have a pool at home. Maybe Yolo can pull a DD out of it.

Kilo818
12-06-2010, 01:12 AM

he has been baned from this site

yolo
12-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Well that sucks. He is the last person I would ever think of getting banned.

Marine_Michael
12-06-2010, 06:34 PM
And yet he's still an advertiser/sponser?

Kilo818
12-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Well that sucks. He is the last person I would ever think of getting banned.
yeah I feel you his a really cool guy!