PDA

View Full Version : Castaic fishing help,

viperman100
12-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey guys, I have never fished bait for Castaic stripers and I'm planning to head out sometime next week to fish from shore, just wondering if anyone wanted to share their set up for fishing stripers from shore on bait. I dont know if to use a sliding sinker, or drop shot rig it or split shot or what, if you can help I would greatly appreciate it. My plan is to head out after the trout plant and have one rod set up with bait and the other used for tossing out swimbaits. thanks guys.

radray
12-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Carolina rig setup and use sardines, anchovies, bloodworm or nightcrawler for baits. Depending on where you fish and the water level, you might have to cast as far as you can. Fish from shore at the west ramp, the dam and or the points at the marina. Set your drag low in case you get a strike while you are throwing swimbaits. I have seen to many poles get dragged in the water. Good luck and post a report whether or not you catch anything.

Raymond

viperman100
12-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Sure will, and thanks for all the info.

Carolina rig setup and use sardines, anchovies, bloodworm or nightcrawler for baits. Depending on where you fish and the water level, you might have to cast as far as you can. Fish from shore at the west ramp, the dam and or the points at the marina. Set your drag low in case you get a strike while you are throwing swimbaits. I have seen to many poles get dragged in the water. Good luck and post a report whether or not you catch anything.

Raymond

radray
12-01-2010, 06:24 PM
No problem my friend. We are here to help each other out. Now go get em and good luck.

koifish
12-01-2010, 06:27 PM
One rod casts far away. The other rod casts close to the shore. I caught some fish (good size) which feed very closed to the shore. I assumed you have 2nd stamp rod. The end dam (by the no fishing sigh) is good spot but it is a long walk.

good luck and post report.

SCVchad
12-02-2010, 07:24 AM
dont bother, this lakes sucks now, way over fished, make the drive to dvl

viperman100
12-02-2010, 10:48 AM

I do live in Railto and do fish DVL quiet often, mostly for LMB and trout now that its being stocked, I never had much luck with stripers there because I dont fish them often enough to know what I'm doing, I am in LA right now jsut down the 5 from castaic for the a couple weeks so I am much closer to Castaic than DVL right now.

and as for koifish, yes I do have a 2nd rod stamp, thanks for the info.

novel44
12-03-2010, 03:44 PM
I never had much luck at Castaic from shore but never came back home empty from from pyramid fishing from shore so might wana try that place out too. its not too far from Castaic.
As far as setup, i usually use the same as radray.

Btbdodgers
12-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by SCVchad

:ROFL:

Racerzf
12-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by SCVchad

:ROFL:

It is impossible to overfish striped bass at castaic, unless you are the japanese using tuna fishing tactics.

Just get some friends together and rent a boat. It's only $55 and well worth the extra dough, the dam and shore spots are always super iffy. Heres my bait n' wait set up:

---(6lb line)----(1oz sliding sinker)(swivel)----(18 inchs of 10lb line)----(size 2 lazer sharp hook)

You'll kill them all day. P.S. I only use SARDINES!!!!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c321/bmxboy119/0102001601.jpg
Above:7lb Stripper, Below: 16 1-3lb stripper's between me and my buddy in 4 hours
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs185.snc3/19259_1262055964629_1626626078_701790_5073551_n.jp g

Btbdodgers
12-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Racerzf knows wats up, when was that btw?

SCVchad
12-05-2010, 09:28 PM
right on bro, your so dialed in...man you even stuck a 7 lber, congrats, when do i get a guided trip in that sweet rental you got, my point is this lake is not what it was and if someone wants a great striper experience you gotta drive to dvl

viperman100
12-06-2010, 10:54 AM
might change up my plans and take the kayak out there rather than shore, is it a long paddle from the closest ramp to the bouye line??