PDA

View Full Version : New techniques, new stripers at Coachella Canal

Geraldlim
11-30-2010, 11:31 PM
I have been experimenting with different lures and techniques recently, and they have resulted in several new stripers including canal PBs for me.

I have been using Berkley Gulp 5" jerk shads, Zoom 5" flukes and Berkley Gulp 3" minnows flylined weightless by casting down current across the canal, then leaving the bail open and allowing the bait to drift down stream, giving it an occasional jerk then continue drifting downstream. This keeps the lure in the strike zone much longer than retrieving it, and allows me to cover a lot more of the canal and I can get drifts as long as 50 yards in the strike zone. The periodic jerks allow me to keep contact with the lure and feel the bites.

I really like the fact that I can cover ground where the fish have not seen or heard me yet, especially since the canal tends to be shallow and narrow nearer town. The method also allows the unweighted fluke to drift near the bottom, and I seem to get a higher hookup to strike ratio with the scented soft plastics vs hardbaits. The fish seem to swallow the entire bait.

Here are a couple of 17.5" stripers taken with this method. Of course this only works if there is some flow.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/geraldlim/Fishing/IMG_3989.jpg

Gerald

VietReefer
12-01-2010, 01:40 AM
Good job on the stripers Gerald. You're truly a canal master now hehe.
Did you fish at the 52nd drop off :D:Wink::Wink:

10milehike
12-01-2010, 07:46 AM
nice job gerald on your pb and thanks on the tip of the day.those are some nice stripers considering they are from the canal.

P1M
12-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Nice job! Looks like I need to go out more!

Geraldlim
12-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Good job on the stripers Gerald. You're truly a canal master now hehe.
Did you fish at the 52nd drop off :D:Wink::Wink:
No DDs like you yet, so I am your understudy; you are the "canal master".
I fished the "Foggy Spot" haha.

nice job gerald on your pb and thanks on the tip of the day.those are some nice stripers considering they are from the canal.
Thanks Max. You going fishing anytime soon?

Nice job! Looks like I need to go out more!
Thanks Chris. You find any more stripers?

yolo
12-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Geraldlim, Cool striper hunting. Way to learn and apply. Some more time on the water and it will only get better. Nice job.

Geraldlim
12-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Geraldlim, Cool striper hunting. Way to learn and apply. Some more time on the water and it will only get better. Nice job.

Actually what you said to me, and your reports, had a lot to do with my experimentation. Thanks for pushing me to experiment and learn.

When drifting downstream, i use a bigger jerk which make it dart much more, 12-18" or so, then slowly sink sideways just like an injured or dying baitfish. They tend to take it during the sink then.

I also found that when I eventually retrieve the lure back up the current flow, I can get a pretty nice swimming action by jiggling my rod tip constantly during retrieve, small 2-3" jiggles toward and away from the direction of the lure; makes the fluke tail wiggle just right and the fluke dart slightly left and right just like the real baitfish do. Then I throw in the occasional jerk + sink also.

I really like that the system is inexpensive, and since the hook is not exposed much, and mostly protected by the width of the fluke body, I rarely get snagged :-) (I'm cheap!)

Gerald

yolo
12-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Actually what you said to me, and your reports, had a lot to do with my experimentation. Thanks for pushing me to experiment and learn.

When drifting downstream, i use a bigger jerk which make sit dart much more, 12-18" or so, then slowly sink sideways just like an injured or dying baitfish. They tend to take it during the sink then.

I also found that when I eventually retrieve the lure back up the current flow, I can get a pretty nice swimming action by jiggling my rod tip constantly during retrieve, small 2-3" jiggles toward and away from the direction of the lure; makes the fluke tail wiggle just right and the fluke dart slightly left and right just like the real baitfish do. Then I throw in the occasional jerk + sink also.

I really like that the system is inexpensive, and since the hook is not exposed much, and mostly protected by the width of the fluke body, I rarely get snagged :-) (I'm cheap!)

Gerald

Hey it's good to see that it worked for you and you are adapting it to your waters with your special touches thrown in. I too get most of my hits on the fall :Wink:

P1M
12-01-2010, 01:47 PM

No more stripers. Been busy with work but did get out to Cahuilla with my son for some trout.

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-06-2010, 12:34 PM
congrats on the catches....I've been keeping an eye on those canals...and done a bit of research....nice to see someone lay some jailbirds out up there...

Way ta go..

Congrats !
Gary

10milehike
12-06-2010, 05:58 PM

sorry for the late response gerald . wife has me running around in circles with christmas lights and of course the dreaded holiday shopping. i might be able to get away sometime this weekend ,but not to sure the honey due list is put away.LOL I was out walking my dogs this past weekend with my wife over by ave. 52 a couple of guys fishing said they caught a couple stripers. water was very low.

TopWaterStriper
07-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Very good report and fishing technique with different lures

TheAsianGuy
07-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Nice job! If you can, monitor the atmospheric and water temperature. It will tell us when the fishes are active in the feeding beside the time.

yolo
07-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Don't over think the canals/ducts. I have found that those things don't matter. Just go fish it!

seal
07-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Don't over think the canals/ducts. I have found that those things don't matter. Just go fish it!

Oh that's how we catch fish from the Duct, just gotta go fish'n!

yolo
07-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Oh that's how we catch fish from the Duct, just gotta go fish'n!

You know it Dale. Don't know if you saw mention of it in another thread or not but I got one out of your far east section last week driving that way for a business appointment. It was released. Was twice as big as the last one I got out of there. We know there are at least two out there. I'm jealous cause your water is nowhere near as dirty as it is in the AV. It sure does move faster too. Was scary fast.