PDA

View Full Version : Quick Hesperia Duct Report

M@M
11-30-2010, 04:46 PM
I was able to get out for a short session today....water still moving fast and high volume...throwing 1oz. Rat L Trap and 2oz. bucktail...no fish caught and no bites
but was nice to just get out to the water, even if only for an hour and a half. Fished approx. 1/2 mi. stretch. Came across a HUGE school of tule perch all huddled up
(Literally thousands!!) all in one spot. Most life I've ever seen at the duct...easy pickins' for any striper......why would they waste their energy on my lure:Sad:
That's all for now. I'll keep reporting now and then. But don't report every time I go, not much to report....too many skunks:Embarrassed:..:LOL:

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
11-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the report,
I'll be up there for the first time, this saturday, hesperia area. Looking for those strypers AND kitties!!!

yolo
11-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Seen that many times here in the AV. Were they doing the twirling dance or just cruising along. It's a trip to watch them when they do the twirling in a big school (usually spring and early summer). Maybe it's some sort of mating ritual? I don't know but they put on a show. You'll get on the fish again Mike.

M@M
11-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Seen that many times here in the AV. Were they doing the twirling dance or just cruising along. It's a trip to watch them when they do the twirling in a big school (usually spring and early summer). Maybe it's some sort of mating ritual? I don't know but they put on a show. You'll get on the fish again Mike.

The perch were all gathered in an indentation(approx.5ft) in the concrete near the siphon(intake)on both sides, maybe trying to stay out of current as much as possible so they wouldn't be sucked in?? That would be the end of them, wouldn't it??

yolo
11-30-2010, 06:39 PM
They hide there from the stripers, lol. It would be the end of them in the siphon but not from the current but from the big catfish that live in there and of course the stripers that cruise. They do venture out at night along the edge. If you go out at night, shine your light along the edge and you will see them if they are that thick there.

By indentation did you mean the sand trap? It's a U shaped cement notch before siphons and gates to trap sand.

M@M
11-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Possibly a sand trap, not so sure it has a U shape but your probably right, you know the duct well. I was blown away by the number of perch. I saw perch at that same spot months ago but not anywhere close to these numbers. A family was snagging them with treble hooks. Said they dried them in the sun and ate them.

M@M
11-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the report,
I'll be up there for the first time, this saturday, hesperia area. Looking for those strypers AND kitties!!!

Good luck. Looking forward to your report!

yolo
11-30-2010, 07:40 PM
They are supposed to be pretty good but I never ate one. Snagging is illegal on purpose. I have snagged a few just working my lures. It's a trip that you could squeeze 30+ babies out of them when they are prego. I squeeze them out of the snagged ones before throwing them back just in case the mother dies. Maybe the babies have a chance at least in the water?

Lucky Lager
12-15-2010, 04:22 PM
They are supposed to be pretty good but I never ate one. Snagging is illegal on purpose. I have snagged a few just working my lures. It's a trip that you could squeeze 30+ babies out of them when they are prego. I squeeze them out of the snagged ones before throwing them back just in case the mother dies. Maybe the babies have a chance at least in the water?

I do that same thing with surf purch. The first time I did it was by accident, but now I do it before I throw the mother into my bucket :)

cutbait
12-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Get your butt out here M@M, we'll guarantee a hook up!

Josh
12-15-2010, 04:57 PM
i used to go ice fishing for perch when I lived back east (oddly enough caught more of them that way than in the summer). They are pretty darn tasty. Even won 45 bucks in a local fishing contest with a 13 inch perch.

sawoobley
12-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Get your butt out here M@M, we'll guarantee a hook up!

Go for it M@M.

That's a money back guarantee! :EyePop:

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-15-2010, 06:03 PM
aww man...I wuz hoping to hear about a hookup...

Be ready your WAY overdue WAY WAY overdue...

be ready I'll lay odds when U hookup it's gonna be a monster...be mentally prepared so you can land it once U tangle with it...have a game plan of attack to land 'em....mental preparation is KEY !

are you fishing your lures down deep in the lower 1/3rd of the water collumn ????

Man...you are really trying...you deserve a big fat hawg ! you've earned it !

Good luck !

Go for it M@M.

That's a money back guarantee! :EyePop:
Whats he charge...I may be interested : )

M@M
12-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. I'm determined to catch some more in this area. I'm beginning to get some guys together to fish the duct here. Last outing there were 4 of us. I figure more lines in the water , better chance on getting a bite.
I just want to see another fish caught!

sawoobley
12-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Whats he charge...I may be interested : )

No hook-ups = one free return pass to the duct in BAKO!

M@M
12-15-2010, 07:20 PM
sawoobley, you should join us. Your close, aren't you?

sawoobley
12-15-2010, 07:43 PM
sawoobley, you should join us. Your close, aren't you?

1 hour 15 minutes to Hesperia
1 hour 15 minutes to Castaic Lake
1 hour 35 minutes to Palmdale (near lake Palmdale)
2 hours 0 minutes to Wheeler Ridge - One the way to Bako (I-5/aqueduct)
2 hours 30 minutes to Taft (near Bako)

Do you see my dilema with Hesperia? I've tried Hesperia/Phelan area several times with no signs of life or flow. I have tried Palmdale once with no flow or signs of life.

If you ever make a trip out to Bakersfield on Friday night or Saturday then I'll try and be there. Maybe even Palmdale. However, with the success rate of Hesperia I'm not sure its worth it, even though I still like walking the concrete river looking for the ever elusive striper.

If you really want to try Hesperia then I'll do it but I would prefer to make it a 12 hour+ session. Even if some of it is just waiting for the flows to start.

:Cool:

M@M
12-15-2010, 07:52 PM
My mistake, I thought you lived a lot closer. Had you confused with a different member. Sorry :Neutral:
Where do you live?

trail blazer
12-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Stay with it MM

WHAT C,BAIT SAID!

TRAIL BLAZER.

And we do appreceiate your reports!,,,,,Were with you !

THANKS
trail blazer

sawoobley
12-15-2010, 08:06 PM
La Habra 90631

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-16-2010, 09:47 AM
1 hour 15 minutes to Hesperia
1 hour 15 minutes to Castaic Lake
1 hour 35 minutes to Palmdale (near lake Palmdale)
2 hours 0 minutes to Wheeler Ridge - One the way to Bako (I-5/aqueduct)
2 hours 30 minutes to Taft (near Bako)

Do you see my dilema with Hesperia? I've tried Hesperia/Phelan area several times with no signs of life or flow. I have tried Palmdale once with no flow or signs of life.

If you ever make a trip out to Bakersfield on Friday night or Saturday then I'll try and be there. Maybe even Palmdale. However, with the success rate of Hesperia I'm not sure its worth it, even though I still like walking the concrete river looking for the ever elusive striper.

If you really want to try Hesperia then I'll do it but I would prefer to make it a 12 hour+ session. Even if some of it is just waiting for the flows to start.

:Cool:
I feel your pain...I do a little driving as well to but not near that amount

Get out there as ur planning, I salute all U guys fishing out there…Ur doing what it takes…

U watch…theres gonna B sum pigs happening sooner than later…

Fish it deep….low and slow…

If u want to fish AV or Bako......

Since it seems ur willing to dedicate time (which iz what is needed)

Make it an overnighter/all nighter

Head out late afternoon fish the evening / night /morning then take a nap for your return the next day…

Make it a little event….commit to the cause : )

Yes it iz very elaborate and a bit borderline crazy…I must admit but necessity iz the mother of invention…

To fish the duct at all U must B a little crazy to begin with

Everytime I fish the duct AV or Bako…
I drive 45 minites to 1 hr 15 minutes each way….occassionly much more

Time must be devoted…..by all means I do not want to discourage U from fishing the Hesperia area…from what I gathered the average fish out there is way big and worth the effort…

Just trying ta light a little fire under you : )

Good luck guys !
Gary