PDA

View Full Version : Duct DD, My Wife Made Me Do It

yolo
11-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Had a long day at work. Got home around 5:00ish. My wife asks me what's wrong. I say nothing. Then she says you haven't fished in 2 days. I say there was a good slay on Saturday and I'm still thinking about the monster my buddy lost. She says get out of the house and go fish before dinner. Well it didn't take much arm twisting as many of you that know me know.

I tune into the striper senses and I am getting a good vibe on where to try since I only had an hour and that's with driving there and back. I hit one spot only and start off with the lipless crank. Nothing. Go to grab the yolo tickler rigged rod but last second grab the soft jerk rod. Work that for maybe 10 minutes and nothing. I left the best for last because I grab the tickler set up and on the 3rd cast with that I get a good thump and immediate run. I set the hook but not too hard because I am using a little stiffer rod and don't want to pull the tickler out. It keeps ripping and ripping. Immediately I think DD. I can't muscle it with my stiffer rod so I let it do its thing. Let it peel the drag on my Quantum Accurist PT spooled with Cabela's 15lb. flouro. It slows and I lift and reel, lift and reel burning it back with my 7:1 ratio. It gets aggressive again and heads to the other side. I let it run because there are no obstacles in my way. I feel a little pause and I start working it again. Get it in the middle and it starts shaking and turning and drops down deep and rips again. No problem. I let it do its thing and we give and take back and forth for a bit longer and I get it in view near the edge. Yes my suspicions were correct and it was bigger than I thought. It finally decides to rest and I go grip it and haul it up. It was a 35" beauty. I go to take a pic and my battery light is flashing on my camera. I manage to get one pic off and the shutter closes and the camera shuts off. It does this with low battery.

I walk up flow with it a bit to release it. It took some time to revive and managed to get one of my feet wet in the process. No freezing temps but it was 35* so still cold. I get to breath and it clamps down on my thumb real good. I knew it was ready to go so I let go and off it swam.

Threw for another ten minutes and called it quits. Had to be home for dinner. Finally a night time fish for me. Although it was not a middle of the night marathon, I like these kind of night sessions. I still get my sleep.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2011-29-10/Duct11-29-10_1.jpg

cutbait
11-29-2010, 07:43 PM
nICE fISH yALO

adicfor
11-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Nice fish and even nicer wife. I like those get out of the house and go fish days.

yolo
11-29-2010, 08:01 PM
tHANKS cORNBAIT. i hEAR iT'S THE bOMB fOR tHE bIG cARP :Big Grin:

Adicfor, I agree.

Double A
11-29-2010, 08:32 PM
your killin me Yolo

unbelievable, with a little amount of time

GREAT JOB !

Marine_Michael
11-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Congrats once again.

radray
11-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Good job out there bro! Way to stay consistent.

Kilo818
11-29-2010, 11:10 PM
WTG Yolo very nice fish keep it up!!!

novel44
11-29-2010, 11:58 PM
nice going.

yolo
11-30-2010, 04:36 AM
Thanks all. As soon as I walked up and saw what I call the DD pattern again I knew I was going to get one. It looked and felt like the previous DD hook up conditions. You know when you get that feeling.

I'm sure if I would have had the chance to hit some more spots, it would have been a killer night. That's how confident I felt. I even passed it on so I hope the people I told where able to get out and produce. No guarantees but things just looked and felt right.

koifish
11-30-2010, 06:09 AM
what a nice big pig...nice job.

madwire3
11-30-2010, 10:15 AM
great fish,,, enjoyed the read too thanks bud

HaiTheMeister
11-30-2010, 01:11 PM
that's just awesome!

horgaszapacban
11-30-2010, 06:17 PM
yolo caught striper again, boring....:-)
congratulations, beautiful fish...

yolo
11-30-2010, 06:41 PM
This one was anything but boring :Big Grin: