PDA

View Full Version : Her New P.B. River Carp At Lake Havasu

Ambassadorhawg
11-29-2010, 06:18 PM
For the second year in a row, my wife, daughter and I shot out to Havasu immediately after an early Turkey Day meal with our family. We stayed the entire weekend.

The weather was not so good with lots of wind and bone chilling temps most days.

But on the one day with the warmest temps and least amount of wind, we headed down to Sand Point Marina for some Carpin'...

This year, there was some hawgs swimming around inside the marina! The fish are usually around 5-8 pounds. This year, they were 12-20 pounds!!!

We only landed one and got dusted by another one. I always use my ultra-light rig with 6 pound test to make it as fun as possible.

Talk about SCREAMIN' runs!!! Geeez, these fish were scary to fight. Drag burning runs for up to several seconds at a time made for some great fun. My daughter was pinned to the edge of a dock as her fish ran down and under. I got the whole thing on video, too.

She fought her first hook up for a good 2-3 minutes before my wife scooped it up in the net. It was sooo exciting! That fish went about 13 pounds, easily doubling her personal best.

She then hooked another one, a BIG one. This was a 20 pounder, I am sure. It burned drag hard and I was not feeling real good about the end result. But she hung in there and gained most of the line back until the thing was doing deep "death circles" like a tuna. It was quite a sight.

Sadly, the line finally broke and that fish went bye-bye.

The one she landed was the smallest fish of the pack....

'hawg

troutguy26
11-29-2010, 11:08 PM
For the second year in a row, my wife, daughter and I shot out to Havasu immediately after an early Turkey Day meal with our family. We stayed the entire weekend.

The weather was not so good with lots of wind and bone chilling temps most days.

But on the one day with the warmest temps and least amount of wind, we headed down to Sand Point Marina for some Carpin'...

This year, there was some hawgs swimming around inside the marina! The fish are usually around 5-8 pounds. This year, they were 12-20 pounds!!!

We only landed one and got dusted by another one. I always use my ultra-light rig with 6 pound test to make it as fun as possible.

Talk about SCREAMIN' runs!!! Geeez, these fish were scary to fight. Drag burning runs for up to several seconds at a time made for some great fun. My daughter was pinned to the edge of a dock as her fish ran down and under. I got the whole thing on video, too.

She fought her first hook up for a good 2-3 minutes before my wife scooped it up in the net. It was sooo exciting! That fish went about 13 pounds, easily doubling her personal best.

She then hooked another one, a BIG one. This was a 20 pounder, I am sure. It burned drag hard and I was not feeling real good about the end result. But she hung in there and gained most of the line back until the thing was doing deep "death circles" like a tuna. It was quite a sight.

Sadly, the line finally broke and that fish went bye-bye.

The one she landed was the smallest fish of the pack....

'hawg

sounds awesome..congrats on the little ones first..thats a big fish...so where is the video??lol

Catsfordays
11-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Nice......Thanks for the report.

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-06-2010, 12:36 PM
looks like a hoot...

gotta luv those Golden bass....when your fishing for them..

It's sometimes a burn if your targeting something else but those suckas are some good drag peelin fun...

congrats....where's the pics ?

BakoBigMike
12-08-2010, 03:07 PM
what'd you use for bait?

Ifishtoolittle
12-08-2010, 03:17 PM
what'd you use for bait?

Must of been a tady 45 on 30lb big game. :ROFL:

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Must of been a tady 45 on 30lb big game. :ROFL:

I think this iz a pic of ‘em casting their bait !
Goin for those Hawgs : )

Ambassador Style !

: )

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/CARP-BAITINGDOWN.jpg

Sorry couldn't help myself : )

for the ol' times Ambassadorhawg ! : )

Ambassadorhawg
12-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Agreed! Nothing better for them big ol' fat goldfish than CORN, but isn't that stuff illegal to use for bait???

Anyway, we always use bread balls at Havasu...my daughter likes to feed the ducks also so a few loafs of bread goes a long way for some cheap entertainment!

Geraldlim
12-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Agreed! Nothing better for them big ol' fat goldfish than CORN, but isn't that stuff illegal to use for bait???

No. Only illegal as CHUM outside of the Salton Sea.