PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any tips for Eldo?

Josh
11-29-2010, 10:20 AM
So I went fishing at El Dorado every day over the weekend. Skunked every time. Saw a few people pulling in cat fish (even saw a cormorant get a trout) but got skunked every day. I was on the lake in Area II (not Horeshoe). Tried just about everything, powerbait for trout and used magic bait for the cats and still came up empty.

I know there are fish in there, saw trout jumping in the morning and saw people catching catfish. Wondering if anyone else fishes there and if there are any good spots I am missing.

Park rangers were out doing license checks and one told me they stocked it with about 3000lbs of trout and 1000lbs of catfish but nothing would bite.

kennycat
12-02-2010, 12:43 PM
try area 3 for cats on mac

Josh
12-02-2010, 01:10 PM
thanks for the tip. Plan to try area 3 this saturday, seems less crowded over there most of the time.

Love to Fish
12-02-2010, 02:40 PM
I belive they stocked today.

Josh
12-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Even better. Hopefully what they stocked will be hungry this time LOL, and hopefully the Osprey's didn't get em all.

keepemlo
12-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Blue and silver cast master a,bobbin and small green micro jig dress it with crappie nibble

bman90278
12-02-2010, 07:24 PM
I belive they stocked today.

Nice...Maybe I will head out there in the morning...Surfer, u out there? Give me a shout.

brian

Surfer
12-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Yeah buddy. I'll try to make it out tomorrow morning with my little boy.

bman90278
12-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Josh, What have you tried as far as fishing for trout? U mentioned Powerbait, but it really depends on what color u are using and what u r using for a setup. I've had great luck with Kastmasters and have seen some guys killing it with Panther Martin's. Please give some more details.

brian

dfisher
12-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Which lakes did they stock?

bman90278
12-03-2010, 05:02 AM
Which lakes did they stock?

Don't they only stock the big lake?

Josh
12-03-2010, 09:00 AM
I've been using the rainbow PB with the Powerbait trout attractant, granted I was only fishing the lake in area II, they said they stocked that one recently, I plan to try out area III tomorrow.

Josh
12-03-2010, 09:01 AM
my understanding is they stock the two bigger lakes.

dfisher
12-05-2010, 08:50 PM
ah I see..

You should try jigging it instead of PB.

Josh
12-06-2010, 09:17 AM
I found out part of the problem. I went saturday and everyone was saying they stocked friday. I saw some trout caught (on PB). However the real issue was the birds (my payback for saving that cormorant). Saturday the place was mobbed, not just with fishermen but also with birdwatchers. The reason? The ospreys and cormorants were taking the fish and the bird watchers wanted their pictures. The end result for me was another skunk. Talking to one of the bird guys he said they stock it and the bird watchers come out, get pics for about 3 days and then it dies down until the next stocking.

MandK
12-06-2010, 09:52 AM
yes, they did stock the large lake Friday around 11am. I happened to be fishing when the truck backed up next to me and dumped 750 lbs.

They bit for about an hour on lures and it slowed down.

I use a small amount of dipped PB on a #20 treble using 2lb and 2lb floro leader and average 3 trout per day at Eldo (even during the week before the truck showed up)

PS: Throw your bait as far as possible. I'm using a heavier weight to get out farther and started catching more fish.

Good luck

Josh
12-06-2010, 09:55 AM
thanks for the tip. I plan to go back again soon. Wish it wasn't closed at night since I work in OC and have to drive back up there. I have been using decent weights to get out a ways. May even rent a paddle boat. Talked to a few people there (and was given the same tip here) to use mackerel for Cat (love throwing some cat into a gumbo) so I am probably gonna pick some of that up as well.

bman90278
12-06-2010, 04:35 PM
yes, they did stock the large lake Friday around 11am. I happened to be fishing when the truck backed up next to me and dumped 750 lbs.

They bit for about an hour on lures and it slowed down.

I use a small amount of dipped PB on a #20 treble using 2lb and 2lb floro leader and average 3 trout per day at Eldo (even during the week before the truck showed up)

PS: Throw your bait as far as possible. I'm using a heavier weight to get out farther and started catching more fish.

Good luck

Interesting info...I left at 10AM on Friday and was wondering what happened with the trout plant. Even though I caught a couple trout it didn't seem like there were many fish in the area.

You mentioned you have to cast at far away....With a 1500 series or smaller spinning reel and making sure its filled really good with 2 lb test you should be able to cast out plenty far without a very light weight. I'm able to cast out plenty far with a 1/12 oz Kastmaster and no weight. Either way, good info.

P.S. Surfer, it was good catching up with you and your son on Friday....I guess we all left too early. lol

Brian