PDA

View Full Version : once a duct virgin no more...

madwire3
11-28-2010, 11:30 AM
ramble time,
one of my buddies grew up fishing here and there not a whole lot but enoughfor good memories, didnt fish for like 8 years and last year i got him to get a pole license and some starter gear.. went a few times here and there, got a few bluegill, mess of small catfish, and a couple trout.. he didnt go as often as id like but still good times... well with thanksgiving weekend giving him 4 days off he hit me up urging he needed to get some fishing in... two busy schedules organized out and after a bday party saturday i called "LETS GO", had bait lures and th fever for some linesides....
got there around 4:30 and after 2 minutes while tossin a lure my other pole went jingle jangle, got to itbut nothing on the other end,,, anyways fished on and in conversation i realized i never fished the duct with him "thought i did" ...nope he assured me he never fished the duct period... now i was thinking oh no, dragged him to the duct the best place to skunk out on is the duct with bait... felt bad and directed him where to try to sit his baits "hot zones, bite active spots" well 2.5 hours in after lots of tumbleweed tangles and false "fish fish fish" finally a more definate hook up and boy did his reel scream... tighten drag a lil man, dont reel dont reel, let it run, take up line when ya can but not when he wants more... panic on my part cause he has never caught anything big and tries to muscle everything in.. not on 10 lb at the duct,, let it tire out... finally 5-6 minutes later its cose so i literally slide down and luckily stop just before i hit the water "wet sand from the rain stuck to shoes"...

lipped that sucker and held on as hard as i could i DID NOT want to lose his fish on a oops dropped it situation...

measured up 24.5 inches his first duct trip, first striper and got my personal best by half an inch, talk about a relief.. was more stoked he hooked up then if i would have... then tried to explain how usually bait and wait at the duct goes.. skunkduct ... anyways i got hit one good time but no commitment,, called it after the wind got real bad and we got hungry... tumbleweeds galore,, was hell on the bait n wait poles and my lure attempts,, dragged in one mess covered in the wonderful green slime and man it had to weigh over 20 lbs... had to cut the line and retie the lure...

about time for me to hook up again,, might try again in a couple days oooh yahhhh

ill post a pic of his fish in a bit left my camera in his truck

radray
11-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Congrats! As a DUCT virgin, I am happy for you and hope to soon follow in your shoes. Good job on the assist!

yolo
11-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Have not heard of a bait caught striper in a long time. Good going.

madwire3
11-28-2010, 04:25 PM
just posted a report last week of 3 i caught, a 22, 22.5 and a 24 incher all on cut bait, almost had 4 but it came off then the next night no catches 1 lost fish after a longer fight and afew hits... only one tap on lure and was pretty sure it was just a tumbleweed deaper down.. still workin em though gotta get my first lure caught striper

yolo
11-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Bako or AV? Bako for some reason gets bait and wait fish very often. AV not so. I am assuming Bako then.

trail blazer
11-28-2010, 04:43 PM
WTG MADWIRE,,,,,,,,,,,,,Tell your buddy CONGRATS! and,,,,CONGRATS to you for dodging that bullet and gettin him on his 1st duct stripee.

TRAIL BLAZER

cutbait
11-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Way to go madwire. Now stay away from Truxton, RW and ming!!!

My pops got two on chovies in 20 mins the other day, then blanked thanksgivin eve

madwire3
11-28-2010, 06:04 PM
bako...

i never fish ming... hate ming... i fish truxton and riverwalk cause doin the mr mom thing doesnt alot me a lot of time to go fishing, might have a couple hours in the morning to go here and there before momma gets up for work so gotta stay close... im thinking of running out earlyyy AM one of these mornings hit a couple spots and post at my productive area a bit for bait n wait before i head back buttttt... so many butttttts.. kinda hard with how things are right now... my vehicle isnt legal to drive and havent had money to push in that route.. plus i love me some fried trout on the bone... mmm might have to fry some up tomorrow.. just wait til i catch either of you guys "TB or CB" or gary ill be stalking and watching learning what to do different to get em on lures... and run when u guys go for your personal time.. yikes.. hah thanks guys

cutbait
11-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Come on Madwire!! There are no secrets!

Throw some luckycraft pointers, flukes, traps, kpns and most important move around till you find em.

yolo
11-28-2010, 06:41 PM
You forgot the OG striper sniper, the bucktail.

madwire3
11-28-2010, 07:02 PM
bucks still alive? havent heard anything aboout buck in a while,

yeah i know what to toss ive taken in all the tips u guys aim my way or others.. i was just messin around.. my main drawback is my shoulder i can toss small jigs and spinners all day but the bigger lures for distance kills me,, about an hour and it gets bad, it always hurts but i ignore it for the most part but when its bad its really bad and makes my one major passion the last thing i wanna be doing, fishing... after a 3hour tattoo it hurts like hell too,, almost impossible for me to do more then one clients work in a day... just gotta hope for a better day for my shoulder, chosen locations, hungry fish, and correct presentation.. ill get em just gonna have to keep trying

yolo
11-28-2010, 07:12 PM
I was not referring to a person "buck" but to a bucktail jig.

cutbait
11-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Buck is a redneck from bakersfield. He's into coral reef saltwater fish tanks. He's giving up on fishing, plus he's gettin kinda serious with a dude named mike out here. Saw em both at petsmart checking out coral the other day

madwire3
11-28-2010, 07:20 PM
haha ah yeah i have bucktails,, not sure im fishing right ive steady retreived at all depths speeds... hopped em, swim jerk swim jerk, swim sink swim sink... nothing

yolo
11-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Sounds right to me. There is no wrong way to fish a bucktail imo.

madwire3
11-28-2010, 08:07 PM
does flow matter with the bucktails?
i have some large white/pearl tubes ive been wanting to try but always forget,, ever have luck with those? seems like a good one to just walk back along the bottom

yolo
11-28-2010, 08:17 PM
No, flow doesn't matter with the bucktails. Just use a heavier one depending on flow and what location you fish them at. I go up to 2oz size.

Tubes work too. I think most anything works if you find the fish. One day a little while ago when I found a school, I threw four different things and hooked up on all four. One of which was a krocodile spoon. I have nailed them on a jig head with a skinny 3" goby head worm meant for drop shotting. I did not use it as intended but it worked. Also nailed them on large 8" slug-go's on same jig head. Just experiment and find your groove.

madwire3
11-28-2010, 08:27 PM
now out of all thetips ive absorbed and great help ive gotten from u duct pros, that right there is as good as it gets,, find the fish and use what u are most comfortable with sounds like a damn good plan to me.. ive never big big on bass fishing so never messed with cranks much so im still unsure of those suckas, not saying i never fished bass but usually tossed plastics or spinners.. so a bucktail or tube would be more comfortable for me to try to locate the fish... "still gonna toss the hell out of those cranks though, love the bump on the go"

thanks yolo... any everyone else big thanks guys best of luck to you all on ur next run

trail blazer
11-28-2010, 09:21 PM
buck is a redneck from bakersfield. He's into coral reef saltwater fish tanks. He's giving up on fishing, plus he's gettin kinda serious with a dude named mike out here. Saw em both at petsmart checking out coral the other day

yep,,,,,,,,,brokeba,,,,,,,

trail blazer

SBF
11-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Buck is still around! Hes just been busy (hunting season) guess he has been to busy filling the freezer to fish. I know he was just in Missouri whitetail hunting, now he is in Oregon bowhunting buffalo (CRAZY) then back for bow hunt in Cali this weekend. Then he will start feeshing...