PDA

View Full Version : Catalina 11-27-10

labboss2003
11-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Went on over to Catalina on sat, kind of knew the weather wouldn't be great but went anyway. Water 57-59 green everywhere windy cold. Left out of Davies around 6 am. Wasn't a bad ride till about mid channel ,thought about turning back but said what the hell should be flatter around the island(it wasn’t).Hit some rockcod spots west of Italian gardens. The graph showed lots of fish ,but it was so dam hard to keep the boat on anything,had to keep it in reverse almost always to stay on any thing .We fished anywhere between 250-360.The boy got a nice one right of the bat ,so I figured we will stick with it.

We got a lot of short bites thought maybe sand dabs until the boy brings in a white fish,so we down sized the hooks and got calicos short calicos in 295 foot of water never caught them that deep before, must of caught 10-15 of them all 10 inches or so. Caught a nice sheep's head in 340 foot and some small taco fillers.

So we did this for a few hours or so, then on one drop meter showed a nice mark about 20 foot off the bottom ,we where in 320 foot.Drop down reel up some and blam nice heavy head shaking ,how cool thought we found the salmon grouper,but nooooooooooo.........bonita on the shrimp fly bonita on the lucanus , bonita 300 foot deep was like a one stop super market all these fish where caught in about a 50 yard circle. We didn’t keep a lot but it still was fun.

The wind started to pick up so decided to troll around a bit ,no luck on the troll .Wind was really picking up,and got very very cold.

At this point I would like to thank Aquasport for making a hell of a boat!!!!!!! Man o man was it rolling , but the old girl did its job and very well.At about mid channel it had to be 6-10 at about 3 seconds. We plowed on trough and made it back in about an hour fifteen . Fished the wall for about an hour to decompress from the crossing.Then headed for the barn.

murrieta angler
11-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the report.
The wind is just keeping it a little to cold right now. These Northern Santa Ana's should be dying, but looking out my window right now, they are still blowing at around 10-12 mph.
Have a Good One,
Robert
<><