PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving eve /morn duct mission - late report

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Hit the Bako duct with my buddy Mikey, it was a little slow and EXTREMELY cold....

And when I say COLD....I MEAN COLD !

Layered out like the child from the movie "Christmas story" we attacked...

1st stop found me on a bendo and the skunk was shakin rather quickly....nice solid fish too !

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/bako11-25-10_1-1.jpg
about 5 minutes later I had another hookup but unfortunately it shook off : (

We were comunicating with the bako boys via phone..they were scratchin some action out too but also sorta slow as well..

hit another 2 stops and I landed another one but Mikey was still at nill with contacting the fish...

another 2 stops found me hooked up again ...

it hit the dirt and I released....it was nice to get some action at that point as spirits were beginning to dwindle with the EXTREME cold and slow action wore on....

Mikey kept peggin at it and at about th 7th or 8th spot landed one to shake his skunk : ) Congrats Buddy ! : )

We hit a number of other spots for no more action : (

Started the long ride home and I decided to give Mikey another shot at some action...

So I took a detour to AV to hit a few spots...

As we stood at our 1st stop, we noticed that both our reels seemed to be malfuntioning as we casted...

Right as I said to Mikey.. "our reels are "Frozen" ! our casts hit the water but not full casts....I worked the lure in as we were in amazement as our reels grinded with ICE !

HOOKUP ! I laid the steel foundation !

Bendo !

I fought 'em downstream and as I brought to ducts edge....Mikey walked down the slope of the duct with his long handled net (about 10' - 12' long)....

as he swooped at the fish.....

All of the sudden I heard him say...

"IM GOING IN !"

I thought to myself.....No....No....No ! fight it buddy.....fight it...!

It seemed almost slow motion as he slid in slowly and went in up to about his waist with his chest slightly submerged.....

With thick layers....jumpsuit...gloves....boots etc. he was struggling as he was weighed down with everything in addition to the shock of the cold water !

"Im going down.....I'm going DOWN" Mikey said in panic.....

I consoled him to "stay calm....stay calm !

I tried to kep him calm but he was slowly going in DEEPER and the current was beginning to drag him downstream !

I grabbed the long handled net from the net end and told him..

"Grab the POLE...Grab the POLE !"

"Dont let go of the pole....DON'T let go of the POLE"

I'll pull you out...

As he struggled he started pulling back....and it started to pull me in slightly...

I told 'em....Don't PULL !...Don't PULL !....I'll pull you out....!

So he relaxed a little and I retained straight tension on him and slowly started pulling him out...

The poles extension was not locked in with it's locking nipple and the pole started extending more (Dayam !)

He managed to get his hands above the extension part and I worked 'em out of the water (Whew !)

Only then I looked around my shoulder where the net portion was and ...

I saw the fish was STILL IN THE NET !

Wooo-hoo ! thanks buddy...that was a sweet net job ! !!

BUT not one I want to see again !

that ended our morning as I had to rush him back home before hypothermia set in..

The final toll was:

Bako:
Mikey -1
Gary - 3

AV:
Gary - 1

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/bako11-25-10_3.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/bako11-25-10_2.jpg

These are the ones kept for the Dinner table !
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/bako11-25-10_4.jpg

NOTE TO ALL ! Please be EXTREMELY CAREFULL OUT THERE !

I beleive Mickey had slipped on ice that formed on the duct but we didn't see it...and he didn't blast down the duct to net the fish...he went slow but once he started sliding he couldn't stop...

That was seriously a life threatening situation...so everyone please think when out there and have a game plan in the case of an emergency such as that....

Just goes to show it can happen to anyone...Mikey has much duct experience so be aware ! especially in these colder than cold situations !

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving !
Gary

madwire3
11-26-2010, 10:47 PM
damn,best catch ever right there gary,, good job getting him out of there, so glad it went theright way, wow could have been so horribly bad... again best catch ever. be safe brother.. with that id love to fish amongst someone of your fishing and hearted-nesssssss.... cool head and nice fishing too, too bad ur so ugly haha sorry had to lighten this mushy comment

yolo
11-27-2010, 04:41 AM
That's all kinds of crazy there. It was cold and the AV had mad rushing water. Glad the duct baptism turned out fine in the end. Now his catch ratio will easily double. He was one with the water. My logical question is why the heck was he walking down the slope when he had a 12' net?

GdHkSet1
11-27-2010, 07:54 AM
Gary,
Glad to here you and friend are safe, and you took control of the situation. Man that's scary.

Spaulding
11-27-2010, 08:17 AM
that is insane man. nice job though.

cutbait
11-27-2010, 10:20 AM
My logical question is why the heck was he walking down the slope when he had a 12' net?

I gathered from Gawry's post that Mikey assumed the concrete bank was, as always dry, but with the extreme cold and dew/moisture in the air formed a duct version of black ice on the slope {duct ice} and Gawry was trying to spread the word to not assume or take for granted the usual sure footing along the banks to actually be solid in these extreme temps.

As Mikey can attest, even the most seasoned and experienced Duct fisherman shouldn't take things for granted.

Now having said all that, you have Trailblazer who used to spend his summers as a kid fishing and swimming in the dang thing everyday!!

Congrats Mikey, and Gawry for getting some fish on a tough night and everything working out well. Worked out for everyone that night. Call me Gawry, I just remembered something about Rosamond and some new prospective fishing locations and the spot I was telling you were some federal water is flowing into the duct up here.

sumojo
11-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Scary fishing session gald he is ok and still had the fish in the net amazing LOL.

yolo
11-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Call me Gawry, I just remembered something about Rosamond and some new prospective fishing locations and the spot I was telling you were some federal water is flowing into the duct up here.

Hey :Secret: . Some things are better left unsaid.

M@M
11-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Great everything turned out well.......He must of been freezing after coming out of that water on a night like that!! Didn't lose the fish either!! Now that's a true Warrior! .............Nice fish too !!

HaiTheMeister
11-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Nice quality fish! wtg for Mickey too!

trail blazer
11-29-2010, 06:04 PM
great job guys,,,,,,,MEMORIES!!LOL

Wont forget that trip for a while,,

Wish we would have ran into you guys out there,,,,NEXT TIME!

TRAIL BLAZER