PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day

Marley
11-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Just a quick report on opening day. I arrived in line just after 4:00 and was car #25. No huge crowd so I was able to get a rental boat no problem. I set up in shallow water. Actually, really shallow water. There were fish everywhere and by 8:00 I had a limit in the basket. Nothing big for me, my heaviest going a very modest pound and a half, but I saw a lot of 2lb - 4lb. fish coming to those on the shore and a lot of really big rolls in three feet of water.
My fish came on a variety of baits from blown-up half crawlers to blown-up mealworms to (gasp!) Power Bait. One fish came from under a bobber.
I saw fish caught on a variety of baits and tactics, with one guy catching three limits using a giant glob of Power Bait and another taking two limits on something dragged under a bubble. Never could make out what it was. Tubers I talked to were catching fish on the PMS and trolled Power Bait. I C&R'ed a nice fish while slow-trolling a mealworm on the way back to the dock. Where have mealworms been all of my life?
The water was in the mid fifties and the early morning cold had the deck of my rental covered in a coat of ice. It wasn't until 7:30 that I could move about the boat without fear of going swimming. Cold is good for trout!
There is a lot of fish in the lake and with Rick planting weekly, look for LNL to be the destination it once was. We won't see those handsome Utah trout but it will be nice to have fish in the water to chase.
BTW, it was very nice to see Rick this morning. Welcome back! I'm looking forward to the things he's talking about doing with the lake.

striperstud
11-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Nice job out there. Rick is trying to get the utah hookjaws back for next year. This season is gonna be awesome thanks to all the work he is doing.

lovefofish
11-25-2010, 11:37 PM
nice report!

Hometown
11-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Nice report im looking forward to those Utah trout but TUNAVIC report said all his fish were red meat

BigBass777
11-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the report. This is what trout fishing is all about. Something for everyone to catch no matter what you use. Sounds like Rick will have a great 1st year back.

Troutman65
11-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Cool Marley . Thanks for the report