PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Day, Lake Mission Viejo style

Geraldlim
11-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Arrived at the lake this morning at 7:45 AM (note: edited time - forgot today opened later than weekends) to find a long line of cars waiting. Got in and got a boat. Trolled a bubble with a minijig teaser around most of the lake for nothing. Changed to trolling a dropshot rig with a Powerworm and got a hit but busted off. I guess I should not use the same 2 lb dropshot rig for a month.:Big Grin:

Anchored nearby and switched to casting a Berkley minijig teaser on 2lb fluoro. Caught these 3 drag-peelers over the next hour. The fish were really beautiful - bright, almost full tails, bright red cheeks and pecs. 2 were 17 inches and the last one was 19 inches. Last one completely swallowed the minijig - gut hooked. 2nd one had about 2 feet of 2lb line leading from it's gut and still hit my jig.
I got a call at 10:30 from my wife saying we have to leave for Thanksgiving gathering at her brothers. It was a great morning fishing.:Big Grin:

Geraldlim
11-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Just filleted the fish - they have orange-red flesh! Looks like salmon. Kinda like the Big Bear Lake holdovers.
Will give a report on taste soon.

Piss on Myspace
11-26-2010, 01:01 AM
dammmmmnnnnnn thats some red meat... good job on the turkey trout....thanks for the report

Cameron
11-26-2010, 11:47 AM
That is some beautiful looking meat thanks for sharing the report & nice bird.

Frequent Flyer
11-26-2010, 01:28 PM
wow nice fillets!!! and good job on landing them

BigBass777
11-26-2010, 04:05 PM
They stocked some nice trout in LMV. Glad you caught some. I caught 3 on Tuesday and had one for lunch. It was good.

candyman
11-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Great report! Thats some quality meat for dinner you have right there!!!

Troutman65
11-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Nice trout . Thanks for sharing on FNN

Geraldlim
11-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks everyone. I ate some last night - delicious! Gonna have some more tonight.
I went out yesterday on a boat. I tried Market Cove - no action. Went over to Finistera in the narrow cove - ton of fish swimming around. Everyone else was getting bit and landing them - except ME! Others were landing them left and right, mainly on Powerbait, a few on minijigs, but not me. I farmed a couple before finally landing 2 small ones on minijigs. Went back to Market Cove at noon and the action turned red-hot for me, but no one else around me this time. Literally 4 casts 4 bites, lost 2 and landed 2 more for my limits.

Went back at 1:00pm to trade out for fresh batteries and pick up my wife after her shopping spree. We could not BUY a fish! Gave up when the lake closed at 5:00pm. 9 hours on the water, 4 trout. 2 small ones and 2 nice ones 18 & 19 inches. Too tired to clean fish.

Today decided to try fishing from land. It was good! 4 fish limit in 2 hours early morning - 1 small and 3 nice fish on minijig teasers and Powerworm on a jig. The 4 on the left are from yesterday and the 4 on the right from today.

Got my wife down and tried to get her into some trout. The first couple I cast it for her and handed it off to her when I got bit. Then she got the hang of it and cast and hooked 2 more nice ones on a teaser and a Powerworm! Landed 1 and farmed 1. The one she landed was an awesome fight - incredible line peeling runs again and again. I thought it was a monster. But turned out to be the same size fish as the others - about 18 inches - but with a huge heart. Already had 2 other busted lines hanging from the mouth from gut hooked trebles! Then landed another all by herself on Powerbait fished off a sinking bubble. Her first trout and limit in many, many years.

TroutOnly
11-28-2010, 09:09 AM
great job putting youre wife on the trout, those fillets looked good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,