PDA

View Full Version : Mojave Narrows 11/21 and a mini-rant

Josh
11-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Went with KarlKruger and one of his friends and caught 4 1lb rainbows between me and Karl. I was amazed given the windy conditions and the cold.

Now for the mini-rant.

Someone left fishing line in the water, either it got snagged and they just cut the line or they just threw the excess in. Either way the line was snagged in the reeds and, unfortunately, a comorant got its foot stuck in the fishing line. At first I thought it was just screwing around but then noticed the bird was pretty stressed and thrashing.

So I tried using my pole to get the bird un-stuck but after a few tries (and several bite marks to the handle of my rod) no dice. So I got in the water (maybe a foot deep) and moved the reeds to get to the bird. The poor thing was scared and i did get a good chomp on my thumb but once I untangled the weeds and found the line wrapped around the birds foot I managed to set the bird free and get him (or her) back swimming into the lake.

I know it can be a hassle but when fishing near reeds and getting snagged you really need to try and get as much of the line out as possible so things like this don't happen. It's not just good for the environment (ie preventing waters from being filled with fishing line and other junk) but it keeps things like the story above from happening.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Was a good day fishing even if my feet did get wet and the winds were whipping.

BLUE WAGON
11-24-2010, 11:51 AM
good job on the rescue,, seems like every trip includes picking someone's discarded line and /or trash

Josh
11-24-2010, 11:53 AM
thanks. Thing is there are line recycling things put out all around the lake. I know some people don't want to get wet and whatnot and don't think about these things but this was a case in point where getting as much line out of the water as possible would have made a difference.

stepchild
11-24-2010, 11:59 AM
good job on da fish....and good job on saving the birdie..

Josh
11-24-2010, 12:04 PM
thanks. Thinking of trying Santa Ana River lakes or hitting Irvine friday. Gotta love 4 day weekends.

FSHNLIC
11-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Great.... another comorant to eat the trout.... at least you got the line out of the water

Trout Daddy
11-24-2010, 05:22 PM
With both closed on Thu and most people off on Fri I can only imagine the Zoo like atmosphere these pay lakes are going to be. Some of the local lakes and even "split pea Hesperia" may be good crowd wise.....

Piss on Myspace
11-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Great.... another comorant to eat the trout.... at least you got the line out of the water

hahahahaha.....what a d*ck....funny tho, i was thinkin the same thing
gluck where ever you go 2mrw...victor and i are gonna slay that place tues.....pull some strings mang.....gobble gobble

troutguy26
11-25-2010, 05:41 PM

yea dude im thinkin the same...screw those birds man!!! lol

lovefofish
11-25-2010, 11:51 PM
na it takes on average 600 years for mono to disolve

Josh
11-29-2010, 10:17 AM
well karma got me back i guess. Was fishing Eldo this weekend and watched a cormorant go and get one of the trout in there.

karlkrger
12-15-2010, 03:18 PM
you forgot to tell them i save a dog that fell in
Went with KarlKruger and one of his friends and caught 4 1lb rainbows between me and Karl. I was amazed given the windy conditions and the cold.

Now for the mini-rant.

Someone left fishing line in the water, either it got snagged and they just cut the line or they just threw the excess in. Either way the line was snagged in the reeds and, unfortunately, a comorant got its foot stuck in the fishing line. At first I thought it was just screwing around but then noticed the bird was pretty stressed and thrashing.

So I tried using my pole to get the bird un-stuck but after a few tries (and several bite marks to the handle of my rod) no dice. So I got in the water (maybe a foot deep) and moved the reeds to get to the bird. The poor thing was scared and i did get a good chomp on my thumb but once I untangled the weeds and found the line wrapped around the birds foot I managed to set the bird free and get him (or her) back swimming into the lake.

I know it can be a hassle but when fishing near reeds and getting snagged you really need to try and get as much of the line out as possible so things like this don't happen. It's not just good for the environment (ie preventing waters from being filled with fishing line and other junk) but it keeps things like the story above from happening.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Was a good day fishing even if my feet did get wet and the winds were whipping.