PDA

View Full Version : Could use some help

krazyk
11-22-2010, 05:33 PM
hows it going everyone? i've been reading around the forums for a little bit now and recently did the glen helen derby. i came up with a big fat zero for the day. but i saw everyone pulling them in left and right all around me. and i've noticed most were jig'n so i gave it a shot. i've never really done it before, i've tried doing power worm at the derby in yucaipa last season with a lil luck. so this time i tried everything. i guess my main question is, can someone give me some tips and pointers on how to set up and even fish while jigging? thanks a lot in advance. also i live in chino and am always up to meeting new fishing partners.

have a good one
kevin

Frequent Flyer
11-22-2010, 08:04 PM
get a ul rod with wispy action and 2-4 lb line. with the jigs just bounce the tip while slowly reeling in. power worms get mosquito hooks size 8-14. u can eithr drop shot, split shot, or put them on a jighead. wacky worm or nose hook them 2 get more action

Trout Daddy
11-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Here is the advice I got. Buy a 7'6" ultralite pool. Bass Pro Shops has one for 49 or the Berkely Cherrywood is about 29 or the Berkely Exacta is around 49. Buy a reel size '1000". Get several jighs, worms, colors, etc and play with your retrieval. Slow bouncy and jerky. I'm a beginner myself but am always looking to go out. I'm sure trout1 or troutguy26 will chime in with more detais!

krazyk
11-23-2010, 07:30 PM
thanks a lot everyone for the advice. When i cast them do i let them sink to the bottom?

pelon951
11-23-2010, 08:10 PM
im learning to man ,just be patient change colors and jigs.I got good results early morning's on a castmaster till about 11 or noon then I switch to a tube with a slow retrieve up and down motion good luck and if you hit up Rancho let me know I'm always there. I keep them off the bottom but thats just what works for me

krazyk
11-23-2010, 08:37 PM
yea im pretty sure im doing the guasti derby. never been there might want to fish there before.

DaBeav
11-23-2010, 09:56 PM
im not good at the whole jigging and stuff but i hit up rancho and prado all the time. actually at rancho you can jig power bait and get bites. rancho-guasti is probably a good place to start and practice since it is a smaller lake and they have a tendency to bite on alot of different colors. i watch people pull fish up there all the time jigging.

krazyk
11-24-2010, 09:27 PM
looks like im going to guasti on sat. if anyone else will be there

castle
11-25-2010, 05:29 AM
Or you can do the bait and wait thing. Use a sliding sinker with a 2lb. test and a no. 18 theble hook with green power bait.Reel in very slowly occasionally and keep the line tight. Also make sure the leader length is 2 to 3 ft. long to keep the bait above the weeds. Yellow power bait will also work too.

BucketHead
11-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Put Kastmasters, Panther Martins and Mepps spinners in your arsenal. Fan cast and grind an area before moving.

krazyk
11-29-2010, 04:16 PM
thanks.. does anyone still use rooster tails? i use to kill with those a few years ago but haven't seen anyone using them lately.