PDA

View Full Version : castmaster

pelon951
11-21-2010, 10:42 PM
First post: I got to the lake and threw a castmaster for the first time EVER reeled it back and tossed it out again when BAM fish on,as I'm reeling I'm in shock and thinking HOLY CRAP it worked haha.iI finished off filling my limit and releasing some babies . Thanks for all the helpful info all of you post it helps!!!!
One question??Do I set the hook when i feel the bite on retrieve or should i allow the fish to take the lure by giving slack then set the hook ??? castmaster
Does that make sence ????Thanks

Trout 1
11-21-2010, 11:04 PM
SET THE HOOK!!!!! lol!! yeah man set the hook right when they hit, when using a lure or jig...

Andrew

pelon951
11-21-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm part of the little yellow school bus fishing program but I'm makeing strides toward walking to the lake alone.
Thanks man I had clue new at this

Trout 1
11-21-2010, 11:30 PM
No prob man, and great choice on the lure, its my goto lure for trout!!! I have caught MONSTERS on it!!

Andrew

troutdog
11-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Nice job on the limits and welcome to the board, sounds like you have the right idea tossing the iron!
(just fyi no catch and release on the trout)

TD

Freshness21
11-22-2010, 09:01 AM
First post: I got to the lake and threw a castmaster for the first time EVER reeled it back and tossed it out again when BAM fish on,as I'm reeling I'm in shock and thinking HOLY CRAP it worked haha.iI finished off filling my limit and releasing some babies . Thanks for all the helpful info all of you post it helps!!!!
One question??Do I set the hook when i feel the bite on retrieve or should i allow the fish to take the lure by giving slack then set the hook ??? castmaster
Does that make sence ????Thanks

Nice work Pelon. What spot of the lake were you fishing at?

Boltfan#1
11-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Good job on the limit Pelon. Keep up the work and before you know it you will be the one giving advice.

pelon951
11-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks man I was at the cove near the pumps the fish are on early till about noon then picks up again about 3pm.But the back lake is on fire all day power bait.

pelon951
11-23-2010, 12:39 PM
THANKS , is it illegal they were hooked on the lip ?I will give them away next time though

MAVERICK27
11-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Awesome first experience!! Lure fishin will get ya hooked every time LOL The kastmaster has exposed hooks, if you sweep your rod and reel fast you'll set that hook very well without fear of breaking line or ripping the fish's mouth and lose it. Sounds like it was a day where they were just EATING it, so nice to see you did so well.

TD was right, we don't want you getting into any trouble catch and releasing trout. We look out for each other here. Hopefully we'll see ya out there!!

pelon951
11-23-2010, 05:36 PM
It was awsome ,I really appreciate everyone's help thanks man

Surfer
12-06-2010, 05:56 PM
What size and color kastmaster works best at the Vine as far as quantity of fish?

RUHROH!!!!!
12-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Just keep winding right through the bite and speed up the retrieve a little they will hook themselvs. Good job on the first kastmaster fish.

Surfer
12-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Nice tip, but size? Color?

Big Daddy
12-06-2010, 07:31 PM
[helps!!!!
Does that make sence ????Thanks[/QUOTE]

Trout 1 is right bust there neck and teach them a lesson.

goon
12-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Surfer...try 3/4 and 1/4 silver and gold kastmasters I've found the gold ones work allot better some times

troutguy26
12-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Nice job on the limits and welcome to the board, sounds like you have the right idea tossing the iron!
(just fyi no catch and release on the trout)

TD

idk cuz i think u can easily catch and release fish on a jig..sometimes not a kastmaster because the hooks are to big and do a lot of damamge but me and andrew(trout1) talked to a ranger at the glen helen derby and he said u can catch and release??? i do if they are hooked on the lip

Trout 1
12-07-2010, 12:21 AM
idk cuz i think u can easily catch and release fish on a jig..sometimes not a kastmaster because the hooks are to big and do a lot of damamge but me and andrew(trout1) talked to a ranger at the glen helen derby and he said u can catch and release??? i do if they are hooked on the lip

Yeah the Game Warden oked it but!!!, Irvine is a private lake.....same with Corona/SARL. I think it sucks....

gavin310
12-07-2010, 02:17 PM
THANKS , is it illegal they were hooked on the lip ?I will give them away next time though

It's not "illegal", it's just lake policy. Only bass and sturgeon are catch and release.