PDA

View Full Version : Before the rain

efishent
11-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Since there aren’t new posts on surf lately, I thought I’d at least add one about my quick outing on Fri afternoon. Sorry no pictures- it was a 45 min session in a new spot – Solimar, just north of Ventura. Ultra low tide made it possible to walk half way to the Solimar reef. Waves were mellow but water murky in most places, some seaweed but not as thick as usual, bait presence average with few breaking the surface on occasion.. Tossed LC along the clearer channel lined with the grass for a hit that materialized into DD BSP on the next cast. Moved on behind exposed rocks and hooked far out –the fish instantly came to the surface and started flopping – turned out to be a giant silver sausage (smelt), oh well, it was fun. Walked to sandy bottom and again hooked far out behind breaking waves- this one was a solid heavy fish and when it came to surface I saw the fins and the back of a medium size (2.5-3 ft) leopard shark. It made a strong sideways swing and broke off with the LC (I should have left the drag looser, I thought I’d work the fish in just fine, but..). Got to Eric’s Tackle and bought some new line and a Jackal for next time. As I was leaving the beach a couple divers came in and went to the reef in search of clear water , it was getting dark but they had flash lights, they didn’t have any spearing gear so perhaps were just exploring. Another guy was fly-fishing in the same area , I believe for perch but I didn’t see how he did. Overall a nice refreshing run before the rain

Wingnut
11-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Not a bad session at all. No fishing for me this weekend... rain. :mad: Here comes the dismal season for the surf. :Neutral: That's okay, time to get busy ramping up for work during the Holidays. I'm gonna try to pop out there from time to time in the next couple of months. :Wink:
Too bad about the lost LC. If you're talking about the Jackal "Smash Minnow" series, that's a nice lure. Thanks for the report. :Cool:

loungingtoad
11-21-2010, 01:45 AM
thanks for the local report. I also explored the low tide.... just north of you. couple taps and a nice 11-12" bsp on the 3" bh swimmie.

murrieta angler
11-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the Central report.
To bad about the LC, but at least you gave it some good use.
Thanks for the report again,
Robert
<><

efishent
11-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Ye, the runoff and wind will keep that Jackal Squad Minnow out of action for a while. I like that lure for good shape, greater in-store selection of colors than LCs and nice hooks. It runs deeper snagging more stuff on the way (some of which is hopefully fish). Central Coast, well, if you ask SB folks they say it ends there, in SLO anything south – is SoCAl, etc. Hopefully it will calm down and we’ll all get chances to log few more trips on that old 2010 license.

jerryG
11-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Nice to make it out before the storm. As the fish react to the change in pressure the bite often will improve before an approaching storm rolls in as long as the weather isn't too rough. Sorry to hear about your lost LC. I would be interested in hearing how that Jackal Smash Bait works out for you. I'm willing to bet if you could have continued fishing a little longer you would have continued catching fish. The divers were probably exterminators. The law says they must use their hands to catch their bugs. Thanks for the report.