PDA

View Full Version : New boat… First timer testing ocean waters.

Ingrowntoenail
07-28-2007, 10:22 AM
I recently purchased a new boat in the month of May. (I always wanted one) It’s a 2007 Yamaha SR210 with twin engines and 220 horse power with jet pump propulsion and the hull with deep-v and extended swim platform on the stern It’s 21 feet in length and it seats 9 people in total.
I’ve taken this boat out 3 times to near-by lakes to put in some hours to break-it in. Now during those times I have gotten to know more about my Yamaha boat in freshwaters…. I’ve become more confident in maneuvering this baby… but would love to take it in saltwater and fish at the same time.
I have question for the experts. I’d love to hear/read any suggestions, comments, tips or opinions from any one. I’d greatly appreciate your input. Here are some of my questions;
1. I s this boat “seaworthy� and safe for cruising and fishing in ocean waters?
2. What necessary /must equipment should I have when I go out in the water?
3. Is there a speed limit in ocean waters?
4. How far/deep can one go with-out getting lost without the use of those expensive gps?
5. How early and how late can one stay in the water?
6. Can one anchor anywhere in the water when fishing? Does the anchor need to touch bottom? Do you need to display any type of flag when anchoring?
7. Is there a good fishing spot near “Marina Del Rey�? How far/deep?
8. What is the typical bait to use on your typical fish for beginners?
9. Is there a limit and type of fish you can catch?
10. Is there a “washing station� to rinse your boat after at the marinas?

I’m sorry if these sound stupid or pathetic questions….. I’m a fast leaner to new things and your input would greatly help me.
A million thanx,
Ingrowntoenail

Nessie Hunter
07-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Here are some of my questions;

1. I s this boat “seaworthy� and safe for cruising and fishing in ocean waters?
2. What necessary /must equipment should I have when I go out in the water?
3. Is there a speed limit in ocean waters?
4. How far/deep can one go with-out getting lost without the use of those expensive gps?
5. How early and how late can one stay in the water?
6. Can one anchor anywhere in the water when fishing? Does the anchor need to touch bottom? Do you need to display any type of flag when anchoring?
7. Is there a good fishing spot near “Marina Del Rey�? How far/deep?
8. What is the typical bait to use on your typical fish for beginners?
9. Is there a limit and type of fish you can catch?
10. Is there a “washing station� to rinse your boat after at the marinas?

1. Yes it is sea worthy. Many use the 18' and do well..

Yours is Marine ready.....

· The SR210 is powered by two high-performance, 110 horsepower, four-cylinder, 1052cc Yamaha marine engines. Electronic fuel injection feeds each of these powerplants, providing excellent throttle response throughout the total RPM range.

· The SR210 twin 155mm hyper-flow jet pump propulsion system with three-blade stainless steel impeller is designed to maximize water flow for high performance. The twin pump configuration provides excellent hook-up and smooth acceleration.
· Pumps are Manufactured with YDC30: A combination of zinc and copper alloys, developed by Yamaha marine engineers, that offers excellent corrosion protection.

2. A GPS is almost mandatory if you go beyond site of land.. Also in Fog and dark conditions it will get you to where you are going.....

A marine band radio, hand or mounted. May save your life or a long swim...

A trolling mtr if you want to fish the wall or other structure, (rigs, Islands etc)...

3. There is a speed limit posted on Buoys in the bays (mostly no wake 5 mph).. Learn Marine navigation. Red Green etc what side do you pass on?? Green...

Open ocean, how fast can you go?? Unless you have a lot of stock in Exxon Mobile, you will probably run at best MPG speed.. Or what wave conditions will allow...

4. Sight of land...... Catalina????.. If you know the land marks well enough, and have great fuel capacity for getting lost...

5. 24/7 if equipped with lights..

6. Anchor, only shallow, flats/shoe is 300 ft deep++, Trolling mtr or drift, go back drift again over a good bite....

Anchor at night, white light needs to be visible..... You wont do a lot of anchoring in deep water, bays and harbors mostly.. A few shallow fishing spots near land....

7. "Marina Del Rey" ..... Cant help you there........

8. Typical bait. If you have a live well or bait tank, Live is best, Squid, Anchovies, Sardines..
Next best = frozen, same order...
Plastic swim baits, jigs and irons work wonders also...

9, LIMITS, YES and they change by season, also SIZE of fish.. You will have to know as captain of the boat.. It will save you a ton of headaches and fines.. DFG & Coast Guard WILL board your boat on the water & at ramps and check.....

10. Most marinas and launch ramps have freshwater wash stations.....

Best bet is to Buddy Boat with others and learn the locations and what to watch for. You will have to know how to read the swell & wind charts BEFORE You go out..

Dont be a statistic.. learn before you go out.............

We have a lot of great Personal Boaters on here, Im sure they will give you some great advice..........

This is just some of the stuff I have picked up, being out with others.. (hope its all correct). :oops: :oops: :oops:

Good luck and STAY SAFE...

Fisherman57
07-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Wow Frank........ some GREAT advice there and valuable tips!
VERY COOL RESPONSE!

In addition to Nessie's outstanding response.......... I would
also like to suggest theses sites as tools to expand upon what Frank has mentioned.

http://nws.cgaux.org/index.html

http://www.safetyseal.net/

Ingrowntoenail
07-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Thank-you very much for your response. Although I have further lil questions regarding your responses to my questions that i'm not clear with. Please forgive my ignorance :oops:

I don't plan venturing far out.... never to loosing site of land.
You mention "trolling mtr" what is that?(sorry) Wall?

Anchoring...."flats/shoe 300 ft +++"?? again forgive my ignorance!
Trolling mtr or drift.... drift again over over a good site?? Also "reading the swell" and "wind charts"??
Thanx

Nessie Hunter
07-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Thank-you very much for your response. Although I have further lil questions regarding your responses to my questions that i'm not clear with. Please forgive my ignorance :oops:

I don't plan venturing far out.... never to loosing site of land.
You mention "trolling mtr" what is that?(sorry) Wall?

Anchoring...."flats/shoe 300 ft +++"?? again forgive my ignorance!
Trolling mtr or drift.... drift again over over a good site?? Also "reading the swell" and "wind charts"??
Thanx

:D :D Sorry.... :oops: :oops:

Trolling Motor, you see them on front of bass boats. Many off shore boats use them for fishing, to stay in one position or move around a little. They are electric mtrs that drop down when you need them...

The deeper water is to deep to anchor, many fishing spots are 150 to 300 ft deep or more... You will see the sport boats (cattle boats) out on those spots frequently.. They have enough anchor to drop in those areas, you probably wont..........

But you can just drift over the spot/area, then go back up wind and drift through again.....

Wind and swell charts are on line web sites that give current and forcasted weather, wind speed and direction. Also Size of waves (swells) and time between or Duration of swell..

An 8 ft wave is bad, but if it is 60 seconds between them, it is just a good roll, but if its 10 sec between them, your going to sink!!!!! They are close enough together that they will hit both sides of boat at once, moving or stationary.........

Wind over 12 knots will white cap the waves and create some good wind waves along with the swells, Choppy & messy, you get WET...

There are weather buoys all over in the ocean, they record wind, speed and direction. Swell height and duration, air & water surface temps.... That is where all that info comes from.. Up to the minute and mapped on many sites and easy to understand... (by some one other then me).:D :D

Here is one site off Google that was first that I saw......
http://magicseaweed.com/California-Sout ... Charts/17/ (http://magicseaweed.com/California-South-MSW-Surf-Charts/17/)

look around and find one you can navigate and understand, look for the conditions that suite you, along with forecast for time you plan to be out....

DO NOT go if it even looks slightly rough... Safety is a priority out there. You cant dial 911.. Coast Guard may be an hour away, if you have a marine radio.....

Be safe, dont take any chances.. You will have more fun and enjoy it better....

I am sure many of the PB (private boaters) will chime in here and give you some sites to read up on swell & wind conditions..

With luck, some might even offer to buddy boat with you to show you the ropes........

SAFETY FIRST... Then catch some BIG FISH and have some fun...

:thumb:

olefrog
07-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Having fished all of the Pacific coast I think your navagation is the most important.
Even if you can see land it can sock in real quick.
I would get a real good GPS and learn how to use it.
My last one was a map sounder ,it displayed the chart and your position at all times plus the bottom.
As a back up I still had a loran C unit
If worse comes to worse use a potrable radio as a ADF.
Can be done but trickey.

Just my two bits worth
ta ta ole frog

Ingrowntoenail
07-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Nessie Hunter

Thank you for your time and patience :D
You seem very knowlegable..... smart guy.
Also thanx to Fisherman57 & olefrog :thumb:

gman90706
07-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Congrats on the new boat ...

Word of advice from someone who's spent a ton of $$ the past couple years fixing things all due to Saltwater ....

Don't SKIMP on the freshwater washdown. Saltwater is much different than freshwater for taking care of your boat. Take your time and clean everything thoroughly after being in that salt. Especially on the motor and trailer.

That saltwater is BRUTAL! On the trailer I've replaced the tongue assembly, safety chains, brake drum assemblies, brake lines, wheel crank, hand winch, more... On the boat - two starters (I/O got water in the bilge), two bilge pumps (floats went bad), gimbal bearing and a bunch of other stuff. (Not to mention the TRUCK ... rear discs corroded up, hitch rusted big time, etc...)

Bottom line, don't underestimate the damage saltwater will do to your new boat, trailer, vehicle... and if you're going any distance after putting it back on the trailer, use the washdown stations @ the ramp (I'm only ~10 mi away so depending on the ramp traffic sometimes just take 'er home for a good cleaning).

If it's seawater cooled, definitely use SaltAway (or other brands) of the desalter stuff to flush the motor.

Keep the rig in good shape and you'll spend less time fixing everything and more time learning the fun stuff (navigation, fishing spots, etc....)

Enjoy!

paintnfish
07-29-2007, 04:29 PM
NOAA, marine weather (805) 988-6610 1-5-1

JapanRon
07-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Hey Nessie Hunter,

Nice Guy! ........ Enjoyed your considerable effort.

Was a lot of that learned from tubing last Summer? :P :roll: :wink:

Seriously ...... thanks,

JapanRon

Nessie Hunter
07-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Hey Nessie Hunter,

Nice Guy! ........ Enjoyed your considerable effort.

Was a lot of that learned from tubing last Summer? :P :roll: :wink:

Seriously ...... thanks,

JapanRon

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ron, Almost all of that was picked up from being such a boat Ho..... :oops: :oops:

Bruce Watson, Ahhvtech, fishtaco, Hazmat, Equalizerplugs, Fishnmofo, and many others who have lots of experience and time on the sea...

And of course reading all your fine reports...... :thumb: :thumb:

I had 3 boats, last one sat in the driveway for 1 1/2 yrs till I sold it.. When I have the money, dont have the time....

Now I dont have any money, so I have plenty of time (to ho on O/P boats)..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SanDimasLMB
07-29-2007, 06:31 PM
To learn about bouy's, saftey precautions, your boat, and anythin in between, I highly recommend this site. It has everything for a novice boater in cluding all the dangers posed to boaters.

Just pick California for the state and start reading and using the interactive learning tools. On the "It's Simple" tab, there's a link to the free boat saftey course.

http://www.boat-ed.com/

Ingrowntoenail
07-29-2007, 09:11 PM
I appreciate your time guys!
Great website will read as much as possible.
Thanx

pukahd
07-30-2007, 10:37 PM
make sure to buy the largest bilge pump that will fit in your bilge area.

I have a 22' boat with 2 pumps, 1000 aux with a 3500 gph back up pump.
Both with float switches. One wave over the bow and you are toast without a larger pump.....

Ingrowntoenail
07-31-2007, 05:11 PM
[quote="gman90706"]Congrats on the new boat ...

If it's seawater cooled, definitely use SaltAway (or other brands) of the desalter stuff to flush the motor.

?.... sure the engines are water cooled!...... and if I put it in saltwater...saltwater will cooled the inside of the motors. You are sying to use saltaway to flush? How you add the cleanser? I flush engines with the water hose.
Thank-you

olfishergal
07-31-2007, 05:27 PM
So, when r u taking me out with you?

Ingrowntoenail
07-31-2007, 06:40 PM
LOL......This Saturday hopefully weather is novice permitting. Just trying to learn as much as possible.

gman90706
07-31-2007, 09:46 PM
Congrats on the new boat ...
?.... sure the engines are water cooled!...... and if I put it in saltwater...saltwater will cooled the inside of the motors. You are sying to use saltaway to flush? How you add the cleanser? I flush engines with the water hose.
Thank-you
Some engines are freshwater cooled (or closed cooling system like your car) - others are cooled by sea water, raw water, whatever you want to call it. Yours apparently doesn't seem to be a closed system and therefore in saltwater, the saltwater is actually passing through your engine's internal parts to cool it.

The salt deposits will build up over time and speed up corrosion on your engine's cooling system. The SaltAway stuff (bunch of different brands out there) is a special cleanser that eats up the harmfull stuff in saltwater. You use it in conjunction with flushing your motor.

There is a separate attachment you put inline with your hose when flushing and it dispenses the cleanser... this thing: http://www.saltawayproducts.com/MixerPage.htm

Hope that explains it better...