PDA

View Full Version : What’s in a trout belly?

skunked again
11-19-2010, 09:20 AM
We were at Corona Lake on Weds. and caught a limit of trout. I was interested to see what a fat trout would eat at Corona Lake. After dissecting the fattest one, I found 3.5” paddle tail rubber bait, an orange power worm and a yellow power grub in ONE TROUT. Some of the others had a 1.5” shad in their belly. 4 out of the 10 had broken lines which looked from 2 to 12 lb test, and hooks of all sizes. Although the ones we caught bit everything from spoons, green powerbait, most ate night crawlers. I don’t think they are particular about anything they eat.

I am surprised to see such an active sustained shad population at Corona. This explains why the day before they were so aggressively eating silver or gold kastmasters. It’s a good thing these trout are mostly taken out since some end up with bellies full of plastic.

DockRat
11-20-2010, 06:38 AM
After dissecting the fattest one, I found 3.5” paddle tail rubber bait, an orange power worm and a yellow power grub in ONE TROUT. Some of the others had a 1.5” shad in their belly. 4 out of the 10 had broken lines which looked from 2 to 12 lb test, and hooks of all sizes. Although the ones we caught bit everything from spoons, green powerbait, most ate night crawlers.

I don’t think they are particular about anything they eat.

Plastic and Rubber is a problem.

Kinda funny how guys act with all the CPR Bass.
They make it sound so nice and eco friendly.
Help the fish populations, pick up trash, release the Bass Mr Green Eco Guy.

Then Dump 10 lbs of Non - Biodegradable Rubber in the lake throughout the year :Secret:
Only to be consumed by fish then eaten by people ???
Go figure ?
DR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7CMbky03jw

Sublime-Steve
11-20-2010, 06:44 AM
man.. thanks for the nip tuck episode... so what are you saying? keep everyfish u catch? lol ANYWAYS i caught a trout @ perris with cig butts in its belly... damn nicotine is addictive

skunked again
11-20-2010, 08:43 AM
DR

Interesting smallmouth dissection. I grew up on the gulf of Mexico and catching speckle trout out there was like catching trout here. At certain times of the year there were tons of worms in the flesh. Somewhat disturbing, but people would eat them anyway.

I wonder if a bass's eating habits are the same as a trout. Trout are man-made/hand feed. Lunch is served daily for them. Once they are stocked they seem to be everywhere. Probably starving looking for food everywhere, competing with all the other trout to eat. Bass on the other hand usually grow up in a body of water and are probably a lot more lake-smart, knowing where their food sources are with the changing season. My hunch is the bass eats less plastic unless someone is on the other side of the line making it more realistic. Maybe someone will chime in on most interesting things in a bass's belly.

skunked again
11-20-2010, 08:55 AM
"i caught a trout @ perris with cig butts in its belly... damn nicotine is addictive"

lol, I can see it now,new products and competition for Garlic products...... the cig butt fly, Eagle Claw nicotine spray on oils, Berkley nicotine powerworms.

Sublime-Steve
11-21-2010, 07:47 AM
LOL!!! oh no.. i hope there not reading this.. lol

madwire3
11-21-2010, 08:35 AM
had a couple trout the other day with cig butts in em,, one had 2 another had 1,, powerworm in another,next days catches..... 3 hooks in another "2 of em in the mouth still, 3rd in stomach", 1 had a small bluegill like 1 inch long, one other had a hook and about 2 feet of line in stomach along with a cig butt and a very white small rock...
the others in both limits just had powerbait or digested much in their stomachs

TUNAVIC
11-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I've found a few intresting things in fish stomachs also, most unique was while I was cleaning a sand bass S/W,
I saw something I thought was a cigar,upon closer inspection I took it and unrolled it and it turned out to be a back pocket of a pair of blue jeans or levis. Go figure.

DarkShadow
11-23-2010, 01:00 PM
How do you break off a no tail having trout using 12 pound test? That's my question.

DaBeav
11-23-2010, 03:26 PM
I have caught trout at corona, guasti, and prado. I have opened them up with about 4 different colors of power bait. I have opened them up and found 3 or four hooks and countless numbers of pebbles. i opened up a nice size trout once and found 5 rocks in its stomach. i pretty sure trout will eat anything that floats or sinks in the lake.

DaBeav
11-23-2010, 03:28 PM
@ dark shadow its because you get these people who dont know what they are doing and probably jut cut the line instead of actually catching the fish

JAG107
11-24-2010, 07:23 PM
The fish wraps you around a submerged tree branch and you yank real hard I'd guess.
I've caught loads of corona trout with many pebbles in their stomach. Most plastic I find is usually half a power worm.

DarkShadow
11-24-2010, 09:21 PM
.... and probably jut cut the line instead of actually catching the fish

That's like giving a stripper $20, and walking out before the lap dance.

DaBeav
11-25-2010, 04:31 PM
That's like giving a stripper $20, and walking out before the lap dance.

lol thats is true but i have seen people do it i think it is stupid but some people just have respect.

madwire3
11-25-2010, 06:24 PM
How do you break off a no tail having trout using 12 pound test? That's my question.

12 lb would be hard unless a snags involved or bad old line, ive seen it done on small cats my buddies have hooked up on... they really have no idea what they are doing so they think the line they have on is good forever..

for trout i run 4 and the line i found inside that one fish was smaller diam. then the 4 i use so could have been 2-4 lb... was a weedy lake so eat snap off on on of those sissy stocked trout