PDA

View Full Version : Duct Detour

yolo
11-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Woke up this morning ready to go to work cause I had a meeting this morning. Open up my email and see that the customer wants to change it to early afternoon. Opportunity knocks I guess cause I took the long way to work and the duct trail.

I hit the first spot and nothing. Hit the second spot and first cast I get a hit and hook up and it doesn't feel right. I land it and it is a catfish that got belly hooked. Hit third spot and nothing. Hit fourth spot and nothing (this is the spot that has me skunked for 26 years for a striper). Hit fifth spot and there is someone there (who I just saw is Double A from his post). He walked up a ways and I slowly made my way up. After just a few casts I get hit twice on the same cast. Keep casting there and nothing. I keep working it up flow and nothing. Double A heads back and I tell him to try where I was because I had a double hit. I start to make my way back as he has kept going down flow now. I work the area again and I get a hit and set the hook and it is on for a few seconds but it gets off. Double A is now walking back towards me and mentions that he saw me hook set and my pole bend but it's gone. We part ways and say goodbye. I hit a sixth spot and after a few casts hook up again and it feels weird again. Land it and it is another catfish. This time it was side hooked. Twice in a matter of hours???

Hit the final spot cause I have to leave enough time to get to my 1:00pm appointment in the SF Valley. I am walking for a bit and casting my yolo tickler and nothing. I get to the front side of a gate and am throwing it in there. About the sixth cast, I hook up and it runs for the gate. This was definitely a striper. The water was funneling into the narrow gate and moving quick. It splashes as I get it to the top right under the gates cement. It is turned and is heading for the buoys. I muscle it back and bring it in to the edge. It is between a complete barbed wire enclosure and the water level is too high to get around it to go grab it and release it. I don't want to drag it up the cement and get it tangled in the barbed wire because I was going to release it and didn't want to unnecessarily injur it. I grab my phone from the holster to try to snap a quick pic. It is belly up in the small backflow. I am fumbling to take a pic and I get one click off and as soon as I do it flops and turns and my 6" yolo tickler with 2.5oz lead head slings out of his upper lip and off he swims. It looked like a 20" fish. Nothing big but a striper none the less.

Threw for a few more minutes but nothing else and I had to take off and get to my appointment.

Drove by Quail and no water was coming in or going out. Pyramid was so full that I didn't see any shoreline. Just mountains running into the water.

Sorry for the bad pic but it's all I could get off in a hurry. I assure you it is a striper in that pic.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2011-18-10/Duct11-18-10.jpg

HaiTheMeister
11-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Nice detour Yolo! It's a privilege to live close to the duct. :-)

yolo
11-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Privilege but I went about as far as you can get today on the detour.

Double A
11-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Hey Yolo, that was me.

I wasn't sure who you were either.

It was good to meet you. Next time I'll definately know.

Good job on the end of the detour stripey.

yolo
11-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks man. Did you ever get that one that was messing with me to ever bite again after I left.

rock&reel
11-18-2010, 07:21 PM
hey guys new to this site can you tell me where to fish at the duct im really want to know where to head beacuse im living at oxnard thank you guys
:EyePop:

yolo
11-18-2010, 07:27 PM
That's a haul from Oxnard. Is there some road that crosses over to Taft from there? Maybe that road from Ojai would be the shortest route?

Double A
11-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks man. Did you ever get that one that was messing with me to ever bite again after I left.

no biters. just that one follower.

i thought the next cast was gonna be the one, but it was just another cast.

rock&reel
11-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Easy way for me i will take 126 to / 5 to/ 119/

yolo
11-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Forgot about the 126. Yeah that can work too.

lakes805
11-18-2010, 08:20 PM
i live in santa paula, i go pretty much every other day. i pretty much go palmdale , lancaster, or up the 5 to 138 up that way or sometimes hit the lakes around that area?