PDA

View Full Version : Irvine Troll

Freshness21
11-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Super excited to finally get out to the Vine on Saturday. Finally got a couple buddies to come out so I can rent a boat and not have to fight for a shore spot. Hopefully we don't get too wet with the rain coming in.

I don't have much experience trolling with lures. When you guys are using your Rapalas and Shiners, are you using any additional weight? Like split shot, or just toss the lure and keep your speed down until you feel the hit?

I appreciate any help and look forward to seeing you all out on the lake!

See Chris Fish
11-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Flatlining works just fine at the Vine. Tie the lure dircetly onto the line. If I need to go deep, I use a trolling weight. The split shot weights will twist your line. You'll know when a fish hits. Good luck, post a report when you're done.

Freshness21
11-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks Chris. I do hope to have a good report after the weekend. I also found a pretty good article about trolling online if anyone else has any questions on the subject, check it out.

http://crankbaitcentral.com/CrankbaitABCs/Flat-Line-Trolling.html

TaperSteve
11-18-2010, 10:15 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/Phishing%20Photoshop/fishermantroll2.jpg

TS

trollmiester
11-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Looks just like me lol lol happy thanxgiving.

hooks
11-19-2010, 09:42 AM
I've been gettin' um' with 1/4 krocodile metallic perch (firetiger) and gold 1/4 krocodiles.
I've tried running lead core and trolling with trolling weights. Almost all my fish were caught on the surface though. The biggest obstacle to trolling the Vine on the weekend is all the people. With the 80% chance of rain, it doesn't look good though. Truth be told, I've done some of my best fishing in the rain.
:Singing In Rain:
tight lines....

TaperSteve
11-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Looks just like me lol lol happy thanxgiving.

I bet you fish naked under your wader too just like the Irvine Troll.....:ROFL:

TS

Freshness21
11-19-2010, 01:50 PM
I've been gettin' um' with 1/4 krocodile metallic perch (firetiger) and gold 1/4 krocodiles.
I've tried running lead core and trolling with trolling weights. Almost all my fish were caught on the surface though. The biggest obstacle to trolling the Vine on the weekend is all the people. With the 80% chance of rain, it doesn't look good though. Truth be told, I've done some of my best fishing in the rain.
:Singing In Rain:
tight lines....

Ya looks like the weather is going to be terrible. Everybody better stay home (more fish for me) :Wink::Cold Fishing:

DHarris
11-27-2010, 01:26 PM
I've had my best luck trolling rapala cd5 in firetiger and pink cultivas at just above idle. I've never used lead core but would like to learn.

Thisfool
11-27-2010, 03:09 PM
I've had my best luck trolling rapala cd5 in firetiger and pink cultivas at just above idle. I've never used lead core but would like to learn.

i think you already hit the lake but ill pas down this advice anyway. i was told this by a great troller. he told me sometimes the Irvine rentals idle speed is a little to fast and toss a bucket over the side it will bring you down to a better speed.

the two times i hit the troll just about any color Rapala did the trick i also got a nice sized one on a black rooster tail with two split shots crimped on about 3 feet up from the lure

DHarris
11-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Irvine rentals idle speed is a little to fast and toss a bucket over the side it will bring you down to a better speed.

the two times i hit the troll just about any color Rapala did the trick i also got a nice sized one on a black rooster tail with two split shots crimped on about 3 feet up from the lure

Interesting, thanks for the tip! I'll have to try that. I think my gf is going to buy me a portable FF for my bday so that should help me lock in on the proper depths.

I'm from NY and while I used to get big trout in the reservoirs on live shiners I also used to do well with lures in the streams. When i wasn't fly fishing I was using rooster tails. Good to know they can be used here as well, I have a ton of them!

DHarris
12-13-2010, 04:12 PM
While I think I've pretty much got it down, I assume there's always rom for improvement. As far as letting lines out, I usually just wing it. Is there a rules of thumb or norm for amount of line to let out on the toll?

Also, is there any credence to bigger lures, bigger fish? Or is it best just to stay within the size range that typical works and hope for a big hit?

does anyone have any experience with DIY down-riggers or anything of that nature?

Thanks

TaperSteve
12-13-2010, 04:42 PM
I looked up the specs for my reels so I know about how much my line retrieval is around 24" per turn. I put my reel in reverse and lower the lure to the water and start counting down how far I want to let my lure out. A rule of thumb most trollers like to put their line back about 75'-125'. I usually put mine back about 100' so I reel backwards 50 times then turn the reverse off and put it in the rod holder. Once you get used to doing it I like to go about 25 turns then ill do 1-2 turns every 5 secs or so and it gives your lure that injured shad effect. Ive been slammed many times doing that and its pretty awesome. Using this method is alot better then just winging it out there or opening up your bail and letting out about how much line you think is good. You can also experment with how many turns the fish are biting at that day. If its slow maybe only let out your lure 40 turns (80') or 60 turns (125")

Bigger lures can mean bigger fish because the smaller fish cant take a bigger lure as easy but a big fish will bite a CD03, CD05, or CD07 on the troll for example. The biggest trout caught so far this season at the Vine hit a CD03, the smaller of the three. Ive had the most success with the CD05's but again it all depends what the fish are biting that day so if one thing isnt working dont hesitate to mix it up and try something different. Having all 3 sizes in your tackle box is def the way to go.

Hope that helps!

TS

DHarris
12-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks!

I was usually attempting to get my line back about 100'. You're technique is very interesting and a great idea, I'll be sure to give it a shot.