PDA

View Full Version : The 'Vine; my escape from a cancer fight

Troutmanic
11-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi Everyone!
It has been a looooooong time since I checked in on FNN and the other Trout fanatics. After 3 wonderful winters of learning to get on the Trout at Irvine...thanks to so many of the guys and gals from FNN, I was eagerly looking forward to another exciting winter. Unfortunately, on August 17, a call from my doctor telling me that I had Cancer changed all those plans. Or, at least, I thought, it would. After three surgeries and enough tests, labs, scans, etc., to choke five 80 lb 'Vine cats, the chemo therapy started a regimen of treatments that will finish with six weeks of combination chemo and radiation. With luck, I will finish all these treatments near the end of this upcoming February.

But, I never let go of my dream and desire to have my Irvine Lake fishing back. During the healing period after my first heavy-duty chemo cycle, I convinced my wife to drive me out to the Lake; just to be there to see the tackle shop and my friends on the work crew, the smells, the lake loaded with opening weekend fishing fanatics. Unfortunately, the chemo makes my skin way sensitive to sunlight so actual fishing was out of the question. That trip set the hook, though. I was coming back, freaking cancer or no cancer. My definition of being alive has included and will AGAIN this year include fishing with the Irvine Lake trout fishing fanatics.

I kept my promise to myself and made it back to Irvine on November 10th. I really did not give a darn that I could only fish for 2-3 hours before I had to get out of the sun. My whole focus was getting in the gate lineup about 4A to feel that anticipation excitement, getting into the tackle shop to say Hi to the staff friends, order up a bacon burrito and coffee, grab some nightcrawlers and get back in the truck until the gate opened at 6A. It was fantastic! My body condition was pretty embarrassing and awefully fragile so when the gate opening, I headed for a spot half way between Trout Island and the Flats knowing there would be very few people wanting to compete for a shore spot in that area. The very last thing in the world I wanted was for someone see me like that and maybe feel sorry for me. For sure I did not want to distract from anyone else’s fishing fun! It was quiet, beautiful, and incredibly stimulating baiting up to get those first two casts out there. I quickly realized the ol’ Chemo Brain had messed me up; I forgot to bring rod holders and a chair! lolol Of course, those things were a total non-issue.

A nice 4+ lb Trout was mine by 7A and a smaller but also good Trout joined that one at 7:30A. I was one VERY happy 'Vine fisherman. The sun did finally tell me to head to the cleaning table and head home. When I did depart, I was smiling ear to ear. I had a picture or two in my camera thanks to Nick and Whitney. I also had a determination to go back to the cancer fight and then get my rear-end back to Irvine as soon as the ol’ body does some healing from the second round of chemo.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_VtUsFJtz2iA/TN3sjDlo0yI/AAAAAAAAACw/1aJIoxiSeKc/s640/fishingtackleshop

We are lucky to have Irvine Lake so close and staffed with such great people. I will never ever ever take the 'Vine for granted again. I hope you do not either, my friends!

Take care and good luck….Ya Gotta Believe! / Dennis Motschenbacher / Trout-manic

PS: I started a blog so my friends could keep track of me until I am well enough to get back amongst them and once again and make their lives a bit more miserable.
http://k7bvcancer.blogspot.com/

hooks
11-17-2010, 10:22 PM
:Applause::Applause::Applause: :Big Smile:

phishin phool
11-17-2010, 10:23 PM
great report fisherman, will pray for your speedy recovery so you can go slay them again soon at the vine.

Troutman65
11-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Dennis, I am glad you got out and fished . Nice trout . Keeping you in my prayers .

Rac
11-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Excellent Report-Thanks for sharing. Way to Fight Back and Fish!!

TaperSteve
11-18-2010, 06:19 AM
Thanx for posting! I hope to see you out @ the Vine many more times in the future. Heres to a speedy recovery.

TS

See Chris Fish
11-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Great report. I'm praying for a quick recovery. It can be done. My mom did. See you out there soon. Hoping for cloudy days for you.

ScottD
11-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Great job Dennnis. I know you are hard at work kicking that Cancer's butt. You have the will and determination to not let it get you down.

Personally, i work with Dennis and have known him now for several years both at work and as a fishing buddy. I was thrilled to hear that he got out to the Vine.
Nice work on those trout buddy. I think that was just what the doctors order!! Atleast the ones we talk too!!! :)
I know you still have quite the battle left, but you are going to get there. I know it! We all have you in our prayers and i cant wait to get out to the Vine with you again soon!!

ScottD.

Señor.Chilax
11-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Irvine Lake really has that tranquility we all need once in awhile to forget about all the BS in our lives. Thanks for sharing, hope to see more of your reports in the future. My prayers are with you.

CASTAWAY
11-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Very good report. Sorry to hear of the cancer. Hope you have a speedy recovery so you could come back out to the vine with all the trout fanatics....:Cool:

sumojo
11-18-2010, 10:33 AM
I dont know you but i hope for your recovery . I think that it's great that you got out and got some fishing in.
it sure does make a person feel good to enjoy a good fishing sesion. those are some good looking fish.

Boltfan#1
11-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Very glad to hear that you were able to get out and do do some fishing, Hope that you have a speedy recovery and you will be in my prayers.

MAVERICK27
11-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Dennis,
What a heart-felt report man!! Thank you for sharing the details of your struggle and your life. I think this deserves the report of the month. We need to bring that back and get you a free gate pass to Irvine.

I, for one applaud you and would offer you a spot on my boat to fish our beloved Irvine anytime you want. Your battle deserves a reward. I think your positive mental attitude has and will continue to cure you at a rapid rate!! Let me know if there is anything you need from this extended family here on FNN!

fishinone
11-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Thank you for the report Dennis. Catching those nice fish is a great way to relax and re-focus for awhile.

These new treatments are so much more affective than what we're used to. I've seen many excellent outcomes recently.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

CL SmooV
11-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Remember, you have cancer, cancer doesnt have you.

Prayers are with you...

5150fishn
11-18-2010, 01:32 PM
I am glad you were able to get out and enjoy a day at the Vine. You will beat this and will have many more days of the Vine tranquility. Nice report and my thoughts are with you.

Psych22
11-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Great report, and good luck with the cancer

Hometown
11-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the exellent report I will pray for a speedy recovery for you so you can get back out doing what we all LOVE FISHING.

Marley
11-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Nice post. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Trout Doctor
11-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Great report, best of luck!

smokehound
11-21-2010, 11:59 AM
You should seriously look into medical cannabis.

Especially during that chemo! Here's a rundown- Apoptosis-- programmed cell death.

Smoking/eating cannabis stimulates Apoptosis, which destroys cancerous cells before they get a chance to take hold. this is of major use to you.

Plus it will help you with that chemo.. stimulate that appetite!

I'm glad to hear you're having a good time. The biggest weapon you have is a positive attitude in this time!

PONTOON
11-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Troutmanic,

First of all thank you for the report! I must also say that I admire your courage and your positive attitude toward kicking cancers butt! My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Keep on fighting!

Wingnut
11-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Your courage is commendable and inspiring... continue to fight the good fight. :Big Grin:

TroutOnly
11-21-2010, 05:18 PM
TROUTMANIC I WILL PRAY FOR YOU,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,

troutdog
11-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Dennis thank you for sharing all the details of your successful outing at the lake, that kicker fish looks like a fatty!

I also wanted to extend a regards to you from Timster, he saw your post and wanted me to be sure and let you know he is praying for your speedy recovery....as I am as well. You have a great attitude and obviously a zest for life, keep fighting and smiling Dennis!

TD