PDA

View Full Version : Scaling fish with your fingers..

smokehound
07-28-2007, 03:57 AM
Am i the only one that does it?

I totally scaled my croaker in like a minute using just my finger..

Im never using a gimmick to do that again.

zZaNg
07-28-2007, 04:31 AM
lol alot of people scale fish with their fingers.

SanDimasLMB
07-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Am i the only one that does it?

I totally scaled my croaker in like a minute using just my finger..

Im never using a gimmick to do that again.

Just run your knife at like a 50 to 45 degree angle at the fish going the opposite way. Works like a charm.

PS. you may want to scale fish outside when you use this technique. Scales will be flying around :lol: Seriously though.

n1ckxlam
07-29-2007, 11:49 AM
It aint wierd if it works for you. But keep in mind croaker scales are easy to remove compared to other kinds of fish. you dont wanna sit there tryin to scale a sculpin or bass with your fingers, by the third one ur gonna just end up wanting to fillet them.

a knife works good, but if you are a stickler about keeping your fillet knife sharp, i really do not suggest it. the knife is usually too flimsy and it will dull the knife; i guarantee you you will cut through the skin at least once (if your knife is indeed sharp)

Used to do a lot of rockfishing up north. My tool of choice is a stiff, blunt, metal butterknife. could plow through my friends 5 limits of rockfish in no time (relatively speaking).

dont need a gimmick, just need mammas butta knife

Nick

SanDimasLMB
07-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Another way of getting the scales off are fillet the fish, then put the fillet skin down, then about 1/2 inch up from where the fillet ends/starts cut down to the skin. Then while similtaniously pulling the skin, keep your knife at an angle of about 45 degree's and run your knife back and forth.

victor101
07-29-2007, 08:29 PM
i scale them with my teeth