PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Beach Pier July 27th, 2007 Pic inside.

smokehound
07-28-2007, 02:02 AM
Hey guys, wanted to let you know that the bonito are hitting the pier now in full force.

I had a great day! Hundreds of macks everywhere, nice large fat ones, too.

Kept a bunch of keeper macs, two small bonito, a yellowfin croaker, and a lizardfish, which was released.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/smokehound/marcuscatch.jpg

Try this pier tomorrow. You should nail some bonito at the pier around late afternoon-evening.

The fish were boiling like crazy. Ive never seen this much action here before..

EDIT:: After baking the bonito, ive come to the conclusion that they are much better eating when caught small.

MAN that was tasty! Ive baked large bonito too, and those are fantastic, but wow. They sure do taste better when small!

zZaNg
07-28-2007, 04:21 AM
great job, and thanks for letting us know about the bonitas.

boxl0bster
07-28-2007, 01:08 PM
oops double...

boxl0bster
07-28-2007, 01:09 PM
cool thanks for the headsup man what baits/set up did you use? how long did you fish for?

smokehound
07-28-2007, 03:21 PM
all were caught on a sabiki.

The croaker hit the sabiki without bait, and all the rest were hitting fresh mackerel chunks.

Sabiki hook size was eight.

The large mackerel seem to prefer fresh sardines. Which were also extremely common there. The largest sardine that struck there was about 13 inches long, or so. Im tellin you guys, you gotta go here! There are freaking fish everywhere right now.

Something tells me i should have stayed till the pier closed.. I might have caught some nice spotfins there.. a few corbina too..

SanDimasLMB
07-28-2007, 04:40 PM
About time the bonies showed up with all the warm water around. I'm probably gonna go today, I live 5 minutes away :twisted: I need some bonies for dinner.

boxl0bster
07-28-2007, 07:07 PM
cool thanks! think ill have to stop by sometime during the week. :)

CoffeaRobusta
07-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Are you eating the macs too? What do you do with them? saw a guy at seal beach pier get hit with some macs and bonitos using a sabiki. He thought the bonies were macs and just cut 'em up for bait. I was right next to him with a sabiki and all i got were top smelt. My hook size was small though....like 12.

CoffeaRobusta
07-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Are you eating the macs too? What do you do with them? saw a guy at seal beach pier get hit with some macs and bonitos using a sabiki. He thought the bonies were macs and just cut 'em up for bait. I was right next to him with a sabiki and all i got were top smelt. My hook size was small though....like 12.

SanDimasLMB
07-29-2007, 06:18 PM

I personally don't eat the macks. I take them home and freeze them to use as future bait, or use them for bait on the spot.

As for the bonito, they're delicious

Baseballer44
07-29-2007, 06:23 PM
I thought (with the only info coming from my dad) that Bonitos were just like larger macks. How do you guys cook the bonies?

Baseballer44
07-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Stupid dbl post....

SanDimasLMB
07-29-2007, 06:25 PM
I thought (with the only info coming from my dad) that Bonitos were just like larger macks. How do you guys cook the bonies?

Eat them rare with some ponzu or soy sauce, or just bake them, fry them, grill them, broil them, etc. The possibilities are enless. I prefer sashimi though, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. **DROOL**