PDA

View Full Version : Lake Isabella 11\13-14 Cats, New PB for Tim

Mojave River Angler
11-15-2010, 11:56 AM
The late season bite for cats was still on over at Lake Isabella. We got there late friday night and set up the boat for early morning departure. Hit the water a good half hour before sun up. Fished mostly between Stine Cove and Paradise Cove. Water temp was cool to the touch...not like 3 weeks ago. Weather was perfect. Ice on everthing in the morning but nice in the mid day. No wind...glassy lake all weekend...rare for location. We threw down crawlers and sardines. After an hour of nothing at all we starting thinking that the water temp might have changed things up a bit. Then the action picked up and we picked up a small cat. Then around mid morning the ultra-light rig goes off and Tim (9) grabs it up. I can see he has something substantial so we coach him a little and then get the net. When he gets it to the surface we all get pretty excited because it is a beautiful, fat bellied channel cat. We go on to score a few more nominal fish in the 2 lb range. Then Tim gets another on the light gear...this time a fighter...turns out to be a little smaller than his other, but still a nice fish. We scored 10 or 12 for the Day and about 20 for the weekend. We took Tim and his "trophy" fish over to James Market in Kernville and they had the butcher weigh his fish and took his picture.

Tim's big fish for the weekned...7.3 lbs and 4.8 lbs. (Dads PB is only 4.5 lbs)

I got to watch it all play out right in front of me.

BTW, I talked to some guys at the market who spent the day on the river hunting the trout. They didn't seem to have much luck on Saturday. Anybody else get to spend some time up there. Seems like the trout fishing should pick up pretty good with the weather getting cooler.

Mojave River Angler

Bassnman Mike
11-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Great job on the cats! Congrats to Tim for his PB.

KID-FISH
11-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Nice cats...good job on finding them. Must have been nice to not have any wind, rare indeed.

KF