PDA

View Full Version : Corona Nov 14, 2010

skunked again
11-15-2010, 09:23 AM
I took the wife out on her birthday fishing. We arrived around 7:15 am ish and to my surprise there were only 6-8 boats on the water, on a Sunday.

I had luck casting lures last time I was here so I figured Corona was the place to take her. As long as she gets a bite or two and the excitement is there she will cast all day.
Her goal was to catch fish on lures so she started out with a gold kastmaster.

The first 2 trout came on green power mice. She caught the next on a kastmaster. After trying all kinds of methods, most of our fish came in on a water filled clear float/nightcrawler. I made sure she out fished me today so handed most of the baited bites to her. Fish were shallow and most caught in 5’ or less with others to 10’ deep. Water temp was 60 degrees.

By noon, there were so many boats on the water, quite a few boats could cast into their neighbor’s boat. Four guys in a rented boat pulled up 20 feet away, right on top of the fish. They could have parked to my side and I would not have cared. I was sure they would not understand my Spanish so after some Spanlish and non-violent body language, they picked up anchor.

We caught a fish every 40 min. and had caught 9 by 1:30 pm. The wife wanted to catch her final fish on a kastmaster and got her wish. She was ecstatic since casting lures is her favorite way to fish. We were lucky enough not to lose any fish today. We did not hold out for our limit. Wind gusts seemed like 30 + mph and would pull the anchor free so we opted leave early while we were ahead.

Our dog was trying to take away our spotlight in pics below. Most fish were 2+ lbs. The orange filets are beautiful. We deboned the fish and prepped them for stuffing…. now we just have to find a stuffing recipe.

I’d like to say thanks for all the tips and techniques on this site. Because I am not from they have really shortened my learning curve.

Good luck fishing and thanks for reading.

CASTAWAY
11-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Good report. And Happy B-lated birthday to your wife. I like how you fillet the fish.:Cool: