PDA

View Full Version : Vine Friday 08

hipnautic
11-14-2010, 02:23 PM
A big thank you to Marlon Meade, and friendly angler for the wonderful tips they gave my girlfriend and I on our first trout fishing trip

we had a ton of bites, but was not able to hook a single one using powerbait and small treble hooks. we would see and feel our rods tipping but were always too late to hook the fish in time...(needless to say, the fish ran off with the bait)

Can anyone provide any suggestions on better "hook setting" techniques perhaps? :Confused:

Thanks!

MRB1185
11-14-2010, 03:27 PM
How much bait are you using? Could be that you are just using too much and the hook is not able to get out of it. At the same time, sometimes the fish are not that aggressive and are really light on the bites.

Hope you have some good times to come. Use just enough bait to cover the hook and be sure it is enough for it to float.

See Chris Fish
11-14-2010, 03:36 PM
As mentioned, cover only the hook. Try shaping it into a "worm" shape.

If they're biting "lite", wait till they shallow the bait. Just hold the rod down and when they start to take it, then set the hook.

Since it was your first time, you may have been yanking it out of their mouths before they ate it.
You will get skunked when you fish. Change bait, lures, colors, etc. Things change on a daily, if not hourly, basis.

Oh, and welcome to the board.

hipnautic
11-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the advise guys... It is very much appreciated!

when i was at the lake, i was thinking that maybe I should have left some more slack on the line, or perhaps used a bobber for a visual clue? Do you think those two elements would have been beneficial?

We probably had like 20 or so bites without being able to set the hook on any of the trout so I am thinking that your suggestions of using less bait may have been the key.

Thanks!

MRB1185
11-14-2010, 10:12 PM
When I fish from shore I put a bobber on my rod with slack off one of my guides. So the bobber hangs down between two rod guides, when a trout takes the bait the bobber shoots up and I know for sure to get off my ***** and set the hook.

I cant find any pics of this on google, so if you want I can rig one up and snap a pic if that helps.

hipnautic
11-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Sure, a pic would help, if you have time of course, thanks!....also are there any rod holders that you suggest would be good for shore fishing?

MRB1185
11-14-2010, 10:35 PM
I just use standard spiral rod holders, I also have these other ones (right in the pic). But I stick to those spirals almost 100% of the time and my buddy uses the others almost 100% of the time. So I guess its personal preference, they all work.

Also I put a swivel on the bobber so it rides the line without any catching.

Thisfool
11-15-2010, 02:04 AM
when you say you wernt able to set the hook. do you mean you your rood would jiggle and by the time you got to it and you set the hook you would miss or do you mean the rod would bend over and when you set the hook you had no fish?

if the rod only jiggled the fish probably just picked up the bait tasted it and spit it that's what you felt or seen. if it was just the tip jiggling a bit then you need to wait a bit longer to set the hook. at this point you defiantly want to go and pick up your rod and get ready. you will want to wait tell you feel a hit and that is exactly what it will feel like a hit. then to set the hook go from the 9 o-clock position to the 12 o-**** position in a nice long medium speed sweep if you do it to fast you could brake your line.

if the pole bent over and you set the hook and no fish on you might have had to much bait on the hook. i really don't know what ells aside from the hooks having no point it could of been if this is what happened to you.

what ever set up you had was working great 20 nibbles is great they defiantly liked what you were throwing out there but they just dint commit to it. what sized weight were you using if the weight was to heavy they may have picked up your bait felt the weight and spit your bait out.

you got to think how does power bait work. think about it this way your a trout you see the bright green, pink, orange, or yellow thing a few feet away so you swim on over and man it smells great so you taste it but wait something inst right it feels really heavy F this im spitting it out. Now a night crawler on the other hand i know exactly what that is im eating this thing quick before any one ells takes it.

in my experience most the time the fish commit to a night-crawler right away with out hesitation. power bait works great to attract the fish and get them to pick it up but sometimes and IMHO more often then a night-crawler they don't commit. try using an inflated night crawler also.

they way i set up my bait and wait poles is the same or pb and nc. i spool up with 2lb test i slide on 1/8 slider sinker, then i slide on a Carolina keeper then tie on my hook. for a nc i like a #12-#10 bait holder hook and cut the worm in half.. i use 2lb test as my main line and use a Carolina keeper mainly for 3 reasons. #1 every knot is a weak point in your line and possible brake point. so if i have a heavier line as main line and then use a 2lb test leader i now have at least 2 weak spots on my leader. #2 using the Carolina keeper i can adjust my leader length with out having to retie anything. this is very important sometimes you need to find the perfect length to get a bite. #3 i feel this saves me money. because i don't have to cut my line to change leader length and if my line does break it always breaks at the knot it saves me a foot or two every fishing trip.

Thisfool
11-15-2010, 02:12 AM
oh p.s hope to see you at one of our up coming events

Trout Doctor
11-15-2010, 02:29 AM
When I fish from shore I put a bobber on my rod with slack off one of my guides. So the bobber hangs down between two rod guides, when a trout takes the bait the bobber shoots up and I know for sure to get off my ***** and set the hook.

I cant find any pics of this on google, so if you want I can rig one up and snap a pic if that helps.

I happen to have one of what I think you're talking about. I snap a pic of my setup whenever I go fishing if my brother is at work, so I can send him the pic just to piss him off. :Big Grin:

http://imgf.tw/223928269.jpg

I don't know if you can see it, but the bobber is clipped to they eye of a swivel, with the clip end of the swivel hooked over the line, but left open. That way when I set the hook the bobber goes flying, which I find amusing. Also, that gets it out of the way so I don't have to worry about it if I have a fish on.

12 o-**** position

I shouldn't find that as funny as I do.

Thisfool
11-15-2010, 02:36 AM
I shouldn't find that as funny as I do.

lol cut me a break its 2 am and im still recovering from saturdays outing.

Trout Doctor
11-15-2010, 02:48 AM
lol cut me a break its 2 am and im still recovering from saturdays outing.

Hahaha!

It's a great post though. I'm going to try your PB and nightcrawler setup. I've been doing just one or the other, and they've been tapping the PB like crazy but never taking it... I'm going fishing Tuesday night I think so we'll see if it works!

Thisfool
11-15-2010, 03:13 AM
try to pick up some dip if you can it will make a big diffrance at night.

Trout Doctor
11-15-2010, 06:09 AM
try to pick up some dip if you can it will make a big diffrance at night.

I literally just got a shipment of some BiteOn garlic that I'm excited to try out... plus I just had a great idea of my own for a homemade dip, that had nothing to do with a pm I just got. Nothing at all.

hipnautic
11-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions. I would love to join your events..can you direct me to where on the site i can go to to view upcoming events!

Back to the Vine, I was holding the rod a few times at a horizontal to downward position in an attempt to set the hook faster, and i would feel a light jerk on the line, at which I then tried setting the hook to no avail. At that point I would reel my line in, and my powerbait was gone.

Thank you so much for the pictures guys, i will give that bobber setup a try!

MAVERICK27
11-15-2010, 10:27 AM
All I have to say is CIRCLE HOOKS!!! circle hooks circle hooks LOL. especially if a big one bites....CIRCLE HOOKS