PDA

View Full Version : 4.61lb Trout and 1lb 3oz Crappie on 11-13-10

TaperSteve
11-14-2010, 12:45 PM
I arrived @ the Vine around 9pm Friday to meet up with Thisfool to BBQ and camp the line. It was a beautiful, clear night with not a cloud in the sky. We fired up the grill and cooked some Texas hot links and steak. I'm a stargazer at heart so anytime i'm outside at night I can't help myself. I saw probably close to a dozen meteors before we decided to try and get a couple hours of sleep around 2am.

They opened the pedestrian gate shortly after 5am, the usual. They were handing out 2 jars per angler of Pautzke Dough Bait and a print out of the free W0N tournment rules. I said my good mornings to everyone I know and then headed back to my van to wait for the main gates to open at 6am.

We where the 2nd boat to launch once the gates opened so we were out on the water by 6:15am. We were trolling various colours of CD5's and I was dipping/soaking mine in Bite-On Garlic. Didnt take long for Thisfool to get his 1st fish. Within 5 minutes of getting his 1st fish one of his rods started dancing again. He brought in this very nice slab, 1lb 3oz on my Rapala scale.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/DSCF0002-1.jpg

Not long after that Thisfool nailed his 2nd trout of the day. So it was Thisfool with 3 fish and the captain of the boat (myself) with a big 0. We trolled over to the port-a-potties at the back of the lake in Sierra Cove. After we got done using the facilities we headed for open water towards Trout Island. On our way toward TI I nailed my 1st fish of the day, this 4lb+ steely.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/DSCF000444.jpg

We continued on and soon after Thisfool picked up his 3rd trout of the day, same size as his other 2, around 2lbs. It was getting close to 12pm and the scales were set to close at 1pm so VinePatrol was making his rounds giving everyone the heads up. Soon after I got my 2nd fish of the day this time again mid-lake. The fish jumped repeatedly out of the water. I could see it was a possible top 10 fish. With how much he was jumping I was just hoping he wouldn't come unbuttoned. Whoo hoo!!! We got the fish in the net and in the boat. We pulled our other lines in and headed for the scales. The fish ended up being 4.61lbs on the W0N scale. Here is a pick of my 7th place fish next to the winning 8lb+ fish.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/DSCF0007-2.jpg

So I didn't win the kayak...:Confused: The top 10 did win some cool gear though. After the awards ceremonies we decided to head back out and try to limit out. We where half way there and we had about 2 hours left to fish. Well we found a school of fish and it didn't take long for us to catch our last 5 fish, less than an hour. Here's a pic of my limit.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/DSCF0008-3.jpg

Here are a couple pics of our limits together. I'd like to point out. I've been using Bite-On Garlic for almost a year now and know how amazing the stuff works. I usually fish by myself. Having someone fishing on the boat with me this time around I really got to see some actual 1st hand results. We were both using the same CD5's. I was dipping/soaking all mine in Bite-ON before i'd let my line out. You can really see the difference between the size and quality of my limit on the right that was caught on the Bite-On. Wow!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/DSCF0009-2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/TaperSteve/DSCF0010.jpg

Hope to see you all @ the Vine soon!!!

TaperSteve

PS - My memory card on my camera went bad so I was only able to take 6 pics. Thisfool will be adding more pics to this thread soon...

El Capo
11-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Great post Steve, nice fish too. Congrats!

Thisfool
11-14-2010, 03:49 PM
yea man i was just to excited to get my lines backin the watter that i forgot to dip them in the bite on evey time.

as soon as i find my usb cable for my camra ill put the other pics up but im making my trout lunch right now ( dint wake up tell about 12 to day so thats why lunch is at almost 4)

troutdog
11-14-2010, 04:56 PM
You killed it out there Steve, you got it dailed in!

TD

MRB1185
11-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Nice work!

bman90278
11-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Great job and thanks for the report.

brian

Thisfool
11-14-2010, 05:07 PM
sorry guys i cant get the pics i took up my computer isnt reading my camera.

GdHkSet1
11-14-2010, 05:31 PM
That's an awesome report thanks for sharing and nice job on limiting out on some quality bows.!

Hitts0n
11-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Yeah man you guys killed it out there! Man I wish I had some of that watermelon salsa...lol
Congrats to both of you!

Rooster
11-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Great report and pics. Very well done

Trout Doctor
11-15-2010, 02:13 AM
That is a nice lookin' limit! Just got my BiteOn Garlic in the mail Saturday! I can only fish at night this month so I won't be able to try it at Irvine for a bit, but I can't wait!

Thisfool
11-15-2010, 02:25 AM
That is a nice lookin' limit! Just got my BiteOn Garlic in the mail Saturday! I can only fish at night this month so I won't be able to try it at Irvine for a bit, but I can't wait!

your going to love it man. i dint think about it at the time but the biggest fish i landed was on bite on and i had a nice sized one come off a few feet away from the boat and that one was on bite on also.

and really it is going to work even better at night since sent is going to be a bigger factor since sight is being lost.

MAVERICK27
11-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Great job Steve!!!! You have the trol dialed in for sure! Thisfool, cool seeing you out there again, its been a while!

Daryl
11-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Nice fish Steve! Congrats on the 7th place finish. It looks like Irvine is starting out right this year.

Fat Tony
11-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Great report looks like you guys KIlled it out their :Guns::BabbleFish:

Seņor.Chilax
11-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Way to go TrollerSteve, you got that place on lock. Thisfool, congrats on your limit. See you guys out there on Saturday!

Hometown
11-15-2010, 04:04 PM
congrats on placing there putting some nice fish in the lake this year.

Thisfool
11-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Way to go TrollerSteve, you got that place on lock. Thisfool, congrats on your limit. See you guys out there on Saturday!

thanks man it is my first time limiting out in freshwatter. yea see you out there man

TaperSteve
11-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah man you guys killed it out there! Man I wish I had some of that watermelon salsa...lol
Congrats to both of you!

Not sure if i'll bring any to the Turkey Bowl this Saturday. The watermelon salsa is more of a summer salsa but I may have another trick up my sleeve. See you Saturday!!!

Your gonna be "hooked" on the Bite-On once you start using it. The stuff is amazing!!! Please post some results...

See you Saturday!!!

Also thanx to El Capo, TD, MRB1185, bman90278, GdHkSet1, Rooster, MAVERICK27, Daryl, Fat Tony, and Hometown for all the kind words!

TS

Thisfool
11-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Great job Steve!!!! You have the trol dialed in for sure! Thisfool, cool seeing you out there again, its been a while!

yea man it was cool seeing you out there to. im going to be out there for the turky bowl hop to see you out there.