PDA

View Full Version : Canal skunk 11/10

Geraldlim
11-12-2010, 08:52 PM
I went back to the next morning to the same spot I got the stripers. The water was a foot lower and the flow slower. Did not get a single bite on bait or lures. I guess the fish like hanging around the bottom of the drops when there is a lot of water flowing? Or maybe they just move around randomly.

Tight lines,
Gerald

VietReefer
11-12-2010, 11:07 PM
They're fast moving predators and they move around chasing baitfishes all the time. The canal is pretty small and I don't really see any structure that they would hide or hang around in. They tend to move upstream to feed when the water level is higher and flow is stronger. All the stripers I caught in the canal were caught before sunrise when it was still dark, except 1 occasion about 30 mins after sunrise. I think one problem with the canal is the depth is not that deep, maybe around 5ft, some part 7ft, and it's so narrow so they can see you more easily when there's more light. Most of the time I caught them within a couple first casts then the bite shut off within 5-10 minutes. I guess they must have seen me, spooked, and move away downstream.
BTW, are you writing this report from China??

yolo
11-13-2010, 05:25 AM
They definitely move around. You can go to one spot and get fish and then even just hours later nothing and maybe nothing for days there. I guarantee your odds are better moving too and locating the fish then waiting around at one spot.

Geraldlim
11-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Yes I am in China right now.
Re: moving around - I can walk along the canal casting as I go, or I can get in the car and move from 1 drop/siphon or bridge to the next structure. What do you think?

yolo
11-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Either or or both.