PDA

View Full Version : AV duct.....ohh what FUN.....

novel44
11-12-2010, 06:22 PM
I had a friend come over today and i was cleaning my gear when he arrived. He wanted to go hit the duct for a few minutes and see what it's all about. So off we go. Few casts here and there and nothing. He casts close to the other shore and gets snagged. After a few attempts to shake it off i decided to go over to the other side and clear it. I get there and i can see it's within reach. I take off one of my shoes thinking i'll just push it off with my foot. Anyone guess what happens next??
Foot slides and in the water I go. Instinctively I try to climb back up but it's too slippery. A little panic and a few more attempts to get back out failed. I than calm down a little and realize there is a ladder not too far. drifted down to the ladder and finally climbed up. Water was freezing. Friend had a change of cloths in the car so that was good. Fished for another 30 minutes and called it a night.

If anything I learned from this experience that might benefit anyone....

1) Dont try to un-snagg your lure with your foot no matter how close it is...
2) If you do end up in the water dont attempt to get back out from the same spot cuz it isn't going to happen.
3) Dont panic and let the water carry you to a ladder.
4) while drifting, dont bother latching on to the sides unless you like getting scrapes.
5) leave your phone and such in the car....lol

Anyways was a fun experience to share.....Ohh and to the group of guys that watched me swimming, THANKS A LOT FOR THE HELP!!! lol j/k hope you guys had a lough and some entertainment in case you didn't catch anything tonight....

yolo
11-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Duct baptism. Now you will be catching fish left and right. Out of curiosity, where did you go in? The water has been the swiftest the past week that I have ever seen it in 26 years of fishing it. next time use a stick or rod handle or something. A lure is not worth it. Glad to hear you are here to talk about it.

trail blazer
11-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Another one bites the dus,,DUCT,,,LOL

Been there Done that,,,,,,,,,,,

YOLOs right though,,,,,,,,,,Soon you will be striper slayin DUCT ADDICT.

TRAIL BLAZER

Marine_Michael
11-12-2010, 07:06 PM
So did you get your lure back? :Big Grin: Glad to hear you made it back out safely. It's running fast and strong right now, fall in in the wrong spot and you might not make it back out. I've seen small wirlpools, eddies, backflows and undercurrents. Be careful and like Yolo said a lure is not worth your life.

novel44
11-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Duct baptism. Now you will be catching fish left and right. Out of curiosity, where did you go in? The water has been the swiftest the past week that I have ever seen it in 26 years of fishing it. next time use a stick or rod handle or something. A lure is not worth it. Glad to hear you are here to talk about it.

I was about 30-50 feet from a bridge, was working my way up the current. was about 15-20 feet from a ladder where i feel in. It was at the Cheesboro inlet....

So did you get your lure back?

Yeah I got it back but after the fall in i could care less lol....and i know what you mean and do consider myself lucky. I've heared too many stories about people drowning. All of you are right too no lure rode fish is worth anyones life.

yolo
11-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I was about 30-50 feet from a bridge, was working my way up the current. was about 15-20 feet from a ladder where i feel in. It was at the Cheesboro inlet....

The duct is not real steep there and fairly wide but it was still too slippery to get out. The outlet of Chesboro is really steep. My buddy's dad went in at the outlet side many years ago. I don't think he has ever gone back. That outlet section is steep and narrow. At least you went in at one of the better parts if one was to go in :)

yolo
11-12-2010, 08:02 PM
It actually sounds like you went in where my buddy's dad went in but you might have the term inlet mixed up? Was it between the bridge and the gas pipe that crosses? If so, that is the steep side I was referring to and no wonder you couldn't climb up the side. I think you would have been able to climb out of the section before the inlet because the slope is really gradual there.

Marine_Michael
11-12-2010, 08:15 PM
What itme were you there. I was fishing that area @ 11:30 - noon today.

novel44
11-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Thats the spot Yolo. between the brtidge and the pipe. I went later in the day Marine was around 5:00pm.

yolo
11-13-2010, 05:15 AM
That's considered the outlet side and yeah that is one steep mother there. If you ever find traut lines there cut 'em up? Imagine getting hooked on one floating by. Removed one last week right in the middle with a plastic bag stuck on the hook spooking fish.

M@M
11-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Well at least you got your lure back. LOL.