PDA

View Full Version : Charter Trip Tips

Damen
07-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Hey Guys,

Can anyone tell me what the average crew tip total should be from a charter-master who charters a tuna boat for either a 1 or 1.5 day trip????

I have chartered the same boat for the last 7 years and always wonder if I tip them enough. Is there a normal percentage? These guys always do a great job.

JapanRon
07-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Hi Damen,

I have no idea as lots of details are left out that would play into things .... if ya wanted to get technical.

One thought ....... You've been able to charter the boat for 7 years. If they felt you were really shafting them .... you probably wouldn't be booking the boat again.

sorry not to be of help,

JapanRon

ghetto dad
07-27-2007, 08:43 PM
I agree with ron.......it depends on alot of things........ive seen crew tips of 0 :evil: :evil: :evil: up to $500 on the boats that i have worked on, now remember, that is ON TOP of fish cleaning (fish cleaning is NOT a tip)...hope that helps a bit......if you are giving them 50-100 EACH, that is a good tip ($100 each is better, 2 capts, 2 decks, and on some boats, the galley cook is included in the deck tip)...so id say anywhere from $250-$500 is cool....

Damen
07-28-2007, 04:06 PM
OK, I am in the right range then. I tip $120 per crewmember on the 1.5 trips and $100 per on the 1 day trips.

DavidE
07-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Just did my first time as chartermaster for an overnighter. I tipped the two deck hands and galley cook a total of about $210 and am hooking the captain up with some fabrication work at cost. Everyone was real happy and say they're looking forward to seeing us next year.

The jackpot was $220 and the winner walked with $40, galley tab and fish cleaning paid for and gave the rest to the crew. Pretty generous IMO.

BTW the galley did close to $400 so they did good on that alone!!