PDA

View Full Version : Kern River 11.7.10...

HunterAndy
11-11-2010, 05:36 PM
My buddies and I went to Kern river on a last minute trip. Headed out Sat afternoon camped at Fairview over night. fish all day from 7am until 5pm sunday. I will tell you this, we fished every single spot from Headquarters all the way up beyond Fairview campground. I dont know what all these reports are talking about saying "excellent fishing" all over Kern. We tried everything; crickets, night crawlers, salmon eggs, power bait. I only got 2 fish the whole day and my 2 buddies caught a fish a piece at the end of the trip. This was the worst ive ever seen at Kern. Flows were very low too. Some parts you could walk across the river with a good pair of waterproof boots.

We tried all water levels from top water aka fly-lining to getting caught in the rocks at the bottom. Ide have to say this though. All the fish were wild and it was worth it. The trip alone; getting away from LA, was enough for me.

Unless we did something wrong, some one please tell me what the hell we DIDNT do and how the reports say excellent fishing?

Im so dumbfounded by this trip. Kern has never let me down. But then again, you win some, you lose some. A friend once told me..."Getting skunked only means one thing. You fish enough to get skunked."

troutkilla420
11-11-2010, 09:16 PM
thats why they call it fishing and not catching buddy!

HunterAndy
11-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Thank you captain obvious! lmao...Ya its ok. I enjoy the thrill of just going out and being away from every thing more then the actual fish catching part...Thats why this last minute trip was awesome!

Fishin Magician
11-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Wow, How things can change so quickly. I started getting the same reports from everyone all at once. I checked further and found out the last stocking was in near halloween 2 weeks ago. Next stocking is scheduled for the week of the 21st. I'll check further and find out why and how often they plan to stock. With the river this low it's easy to fish it out quickly if enough people don't practice catch and release. I'm playing paintball this morning but will check with my guests later to see how they did.

BIGBASS MB
11-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Fishing will slow down a bit from Nov-Mar... but the Kern will allways be one of the best trout fishing in CA...
I,m glad you guys had a good time up there
better luck next time
Mike B

HunterAndy
11-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks a lot guys! Ya its the fact of going out and having fun with friends and family. Catching fish is just a bonus!!