PDA

View Full Version : The AV Duct….Fourth times a Charm.

kpn
11-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Yesterday, while I prepared dinner for the family. I got a call from John (FamerJohn), He said the condition & flow at the duct is pretty bad (Thanks John & Z), and told me NOT to go to the duct tonight.
I told him I don’t plan to fish tonight either.
I got skunk the last 3 trips out, and don’t want another one:Wink:.
After dinner, my friend Hai texted me and want to hit the duct….I said the flow is not good for tonight, but I love to try anyway “we had to be there to check the flow and adjust our attack plan” I said. I don’t know how bad the flow is, if I staying home and will not know how to fish when it happens again.
Call my other buddy Mikey to come along.
We got to the first spot, the flow was pretty bad, and we stay for 30 min….Nothing….It very hard to keep the lure in the strike jones.

Second spot…..same story…………….Nothing!

Third spot, Hai got hit, but it doesn’t stick and he also lost a lure on the bottom too.
Fourth spot………..Nothing!

At the fifth spot, after casting for about 5 min. I got hit……………set the hook, but it doesn’t stick…..........Bummer!

Another 5 more casts I got hit again and set the hook, this time I’m on! It’s major drag peeler and suddenly I feel light…….In the back of my mind I think…..”Oh Sh*t! I lost the fish”. I reel in real fast and fell the weight of the fish, he just ran up stream at me. I was lucky to use the Curado E7 :LOL:. Love that reel!
He took more drag and doesn’t want to come in, just stay in the strong and fast current.
Lucky me I just spool with 60 lbs braid and 25lbs flouro leader (after learning many break off from Yolo and friends).
After about 7 to 10 min he started to move up current and inside, Hai net the fish for me (thanks bro). He tape out at 33.5 inches (you guys can guess the weight). It's a DD :Wink:.

We went to the Sixth and last spot.....Nothing.......So we call it quit @ 2.00 am.
Weather ranging from 39 to 51 degree.

Thanks Hai for the invite and Mikey to come along ;). We had a great time.

Here are some pictures.
Pictures were taken in front of my house @ 3.10am (I did not reset the time in the camera).

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/Fisherman7/IMG_0104.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/Fisherman7/IMG_0106.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/Fisherman7/IMG_0109.jpg

Khanh aka KPN.

koifish
11-10-2010, 09:18 AM
That is a big pig. congrat to you.

cutbait
11-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Im guessing 4 lbs easy. Just wish u had mikey hold him up for a real size comparison!…

Hahaha. Congrats. I broke a rod last night and had one tangle me up in the "structure"

fishinone
11-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Very nice fish there Khanh.

My guess is 14 lb.

Did you weigh it?

MonsterGuppy
11-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Nice paint job on the lure-looks just like a giant striper jk :) nice fish!

VietReefer
11-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Great job fishing the unfishable anh Khanh.
That sucka is going nowhere with the 60lb braid hehe

stg68
11-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Very nice, Khanh !!!

kpn
11-10-2010, 12:01 PM
That is a big pig. congrat to you.

Thanks bro.

Im guessing 4 lbs easy. Just wish u had mikey hold him up for a real size comparison!…

Hahaha. Congrats. I broke a rod last night and had one tangle me up in the "structure"

Mike aka Carpbait,
You miss JUST a little.........Hahaha......I know because of my size......Hahaha.......Just miss by over 10 lbs.
We were thinking about to make that run, but just want to learn to fish the hard condition the duct has to give.
Did you break a rod on the hook set?......The famous Feelthesteel hook set? :Wink:.

Thanks Buddy.

Very nice fish there Khanh.

My guess is 14 lb.

Did you weigh it?

Thanks Ron.
It more than 14 lbs. I'll let you guys know later :Big Grin:.

Nice paint job on the lure-looks just like a giant striper jk :) nice fish!

I've painted a big lure before, but not that big......The biggest lure I've made was over 22" long
Thanks.

Great job fishing the unfishable anh Khanh.
That sucka is going nowhere with the 60lb braid hehe

VietReefer,
There are structures where we fish and my friend broke his 50 lbs braid before on structure, so I have to beef up :Wink:.
You should pull one pig one out of the canal one day bro.
Thanks.

Thanks for the props guys.

Khanh.

kpn
11-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Very nice, Khanh !!!

Thanks Steve.
Did you give the duct a try lately? Just hit & miss for me.
I saw you do good in the Lagoon.
My first fish in four try ;-) .

Khanh.

stg68
11-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks Steve.
Did you give the duct a try lately? Just hit & miss for me.
I saw you do good in the Lagoon.
My first fish in four try ;-) .

Khanh.

yes, but not a lot this year. Got 2 only this year from Duct.
Spend most of the time at Goon, green stripers ..........:EyePop::EyePop::EyePop:

yolo
11-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Yeah! The average is really going to go up for the AV this season. Nice going out there. It is almost at the point of ice on the guides and reel. If it's so good now, I can't imagine how big they will be when they really start feeding and fattening up for the winter.

There have been a good amount of 30" to 34" fish this fall. Much more than in recent memory.

What's in the gut?

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Great Job Khanh....

Saweeet Feesh !

Mikey told me you guys were going, I was hoping someone would tangle with a beastie : )

Congrats on the nice fat peeg : )

way ta roll : )

SaaaaaaWeeeeeT !

Gary

breeze71
11-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Nice job Khanh!

That's a fish I would definitely run someone over for if they were standing behind my truck! Ha ha!

TroutOnly
11-10-2010, 03:08 PM
PIG STRIPEY KILLIN BY KPN HIMSELF,,,,,,,,,,,,,GREAT KILL KAHN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,

HaiTheMeister
11-10-2010, 03:27 PM
well deserved brotha! I gotta shake the skunk off my back...I am now with 3 skunks.
Congrats!

kpn
11-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Yeah! The average is really going to go up for the AV this season. Nice going out there. It is almost at the point of ice on the guides and reel. If it's so good now, I can't imagine how big they will be when they really start feeding and fattening up for the winter.

There have been a good amount of 30" to 34" fish this fall. Much more than in recent memory.

What's in the gut?

I'm already gear up for the cold season and also gear up for the PIG one.......OH YEAH! 60 lbs braid :Wink:.

There are 4 perch in its gut.

Thanks Yolo.

Great Job Khanh....

Saweeet Feesh !

Mikey told me you guys were going, I was hoping someone would tangle with a beastie : )

Congrats on the nice fat peeg : )

way ta roll : )

SaaaaaaWeeeeeT !

Gary

You're still missing in action since your Texas trip. We should go out tear em up like last year.....You, Hiro & I.

Thanks Buddy.

Nice job Khanh!

That's a fish I would definitely run someone over for if they were standing behind my truck! Ha ha!

Hahaha..........That's funny buddy. Fun memories!
You, Gary and I should go up there and kill some bro.
Thanks buddy.

PIG STRIPEY KILLIN BY KPN HIMSELF,,,,,,,,,,,,,GREAT KILL KAHN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks Bob.
You kill more than your share of Pig stripey too....Now my turn :LOL:.
I still remember last November at Pyramid, we kill the schoolies on top water.

well deserved brotha! I gotta shake the skunk off my back...I am now with 3 skunks.
Congrats!

Don't worry bro.....like me, fourth time will be a charm for you.
Thanks bro.

Thanks you guys for the props.

Khanh.

yolo
11-10-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm already gear up for the cold season and also gear up for the PIG one.......OH YEAH! 60 lbs braid :Wink:.

There are 4 perch in its gut.

Thanks Yolo.

4 perch, sweet. Remember what I wrote you in my text about that spot and the perch being there thick all week.

I think I will forgo the shorts this winter and at least wear some long pants. I'm getting old and cold all of a sudden.

Geraldlim
11-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Congrats on a great catch!

I got a call from John (FamerJohn), He said the condition & flow at the duct is pretty bad

When you say the condition and flow is bad, do you mean the flow is too fast or too slow? i.e. is it better when the flow is strong or weak? Do they congregate under the drops when flow is high, and disperse throughout the duct when flow is low, or vice versa?

Gerald

yolo
11-11-2010, 05:43 AM
Flow was high and the key was with the most volume I have seen or recall seeing. The way the water behaved was totally different than the norm and it made for a different fishing experience.

M@M
11-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Wow ! Now that is a nice striper Khanh.:EyePop:I love the tails on the DD'S. Congrats on an AWESOME FISH..........Reports like this
give me hope.:Smile: I'm ready to catch something!!

SDDave
11-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Nice fish Khanh, Soon will get up on some of those models on the upper, I ended up hitting the Lagoon after I saw you this afternoon, My elbow is really hurting after the shot, I did make a couple casts on my lamaglass 807 with the 300 Curado and 25 mono, the bait swims realy nice and walks with very little effort.
fished till closing, missed 2 bites on the ice jig, donated it later, fish were there on the bait balls just little gun shy.

kpn
11-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Congrats on a great catch!

When you say the condition and flow is bad, do you mean the flow is too fast or too slow? i.e. is it better when the flow is strong or weak? Do they congregate under the drops when flow is high, and disperse throughout the duct when flow is low, or vice versa?

Gerald

Gerald,
The bad flow is when they move high volume of water at that time. I fished the duct 3 years now (this Dec to be exact) and been fishing in no flow, slow flow, and medium flow, but not fast flow like this time. That's why I want to fish the high flow and see the striper around in the flow. It was hard to keep the lure in the strike jone.
I changed the attack and experiment some thing new and was rewarded.
Thanks for the props.

Khanh.

kpn
11-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Wow ! Now that is a nice striper Khanh.:EyePop:I love the tails on the DD'S. Congrats on an AWESOME FISH..........Reports like this
give me hope.:Smile: I'm ready to catch something!!

Mike,
If I remember correctly, you have 2 DD under your belt. I know someone fish the duct quite some time and can't even get one. Keep put in your time, you'll get reward.
Thanks.

Khanh.

kpn
11-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Nice fish Khanh, Soon will get up on some of those models on the upper, I ended up hitting the Lagoon after I saw you this afternoon, My elbow is really hurting after the shot, I did make a couple casts on my lamaglass 807 with the 300 Curado and 25 mono, the bait swims realy nice and walks with very little effort.
fished till closing, missed 2 bites on the ice jig, donated it later, fish were there on the bait balls just little gun shy.

I talked to you when I on my way home home the Hospital, took my kids there to get physical exam and allergy shot. I love to see the pic of that lure with a nice fish on.
We'll get on em this trout season.
Thanks.

Khanh.