PDA

View Full Version : 11/9 trip - trick trout?

hooks
11-09-2010, 09:17 PM
The gates opened with a temp. of 39 degrees.
Launched and headed back to Sierra Cove to start the day. I got several bites on shrimp but not much else. I decided to try trolling. After reeling my poles in and starting the motor, I began to pull the back anchor. I heard this splashing just over the side the boat. One pole had some power bait dangling about 5 inches out the water. There was a 10 pound trout sticking it's head out of the water, trying to grab the power bait.
I was shocked having never seen anything like this before. The fish swam back and forth in the shadow of the boat for 5 minutes checking out the bait but not taking it.
I started trolling. The lake was pretty crowded for a Tuesday. After about 4 laps around the lake, I had 5 big trout in the basket (a 5 pounder, a 6 pounder ,and 2 4s and a 2!).
All were caught trolling 20 and 25 pound test using fire tiger and gold crocodile lures.
I didn't see hardly anyone getting bait fish today but trolling was great if you had the right jig.
You could just smell the fish in the lake.
Look forward to returning soon.
tight lines...
:Cool:

phishin phool
11-09-2010, 10:01 PM
The gates opened with a temp. of 39 degrees.
Launched and headed back to Sierra Cove to start the day. I got several bites on shrimp but not much else. I decided to try trolling. After reeling my poles in and starting the motor, I began to pull the back anchor. I heard this splashing just over the side the boat. One pole had some power bait dangling about 5 inches out the water. There was a 10 pound trout sticking it's head out of the water, trying to grab the power bait.
I was shocked having never seen anything like this before. The fish swam back and forth in the shadow of the boat for 5 minutes checking out the bait but not taking it.
I started trolling. The lake was pretty crowded for a Tuesday. After about 4 laps around the lake, I had 5 big trout in the basket (a 5 pounder, a 6 pounder ,and 2 4s and a 2!).
All were caught trolling 20 and 25 pound test using fire tiger and gold crocodile lures.
I didn't see hardly anyone getting bait fish today but trolling was great if you had the right jig.
You could just smell the fish in the lake.
Look forward to returning soon.
tight lines...
:Cool:

??????????

LunkerBill
11-09-2010, 10:20 PM
He a feeshing phool
??????????

sidified
11-10-2010, 12:33 AM
That's a real head scratcher why a 10 pounder would show all that interest in your bait but never inhale it....I dunno, next time maybe try putting the bait IN the water...LOL

El Capo
11-10-2010, 03:14 AM
Great report, I think I will start trolling with a lift pole.

hooks
11-10-2010, 07:44 AM
That's a real head scratcher why a 10 pounder would show all that interest in your bait but never inhale it....I dunno, next time maybe try putting the bait IN the water...LOL
Yeah, I've been trout fishing for 40 years and have NEVER seen anything like it. The fish showed no fear at all. I probably could of reached out and grabbed him.

Fishthewhaler
11-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Thats some heavy gear for trout, don't ya think? I always trolled the light stuff out there, I bet you don't lose many jigs!

hooks
11-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Thats some heavy gear for trout, don't ya think? I always trolled the light stuff out there, I bet you don't lose many jigs!
Yep, but the trout don't care. And I don't lose many jigs. If you manage to hook anything over 10 pounds, You'll wish you had heavier line. I run the poles in free spool with clickers on. The drag is set way below line strength. The fish don't pop the hooks or break the line that way.
Keep trolling that 4 to 6 pound test, more bruisers for me ! :Big Grin:

MAVERICK27
11-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I use heavier line as well. BUT if its mono and you go with 20, your lures will be at a much higher depth than with say 10lb....I.E. mono floats....Food for thought.

Great day out there Hooks!!

The day I got my nice fish, the monsters were swimming by my boat as well. They would swim over to baits, but not eat when they were close to the boat.

dondadda
11-10-2010, 03:57 PM
"I heard this splashing just over the side the boat. One pole had some power bait dangling about 5 inches out the water. There was a 10 pound trout sticking it's head out of the water, trying to grab the power bait.
I was shocked having never seen anything like this before. The fish swam back and forth in the shadow of the boat for 5 minutes checking out the bait but not taking it."

Could this be due to how the trout was raised on the farm? I thought I once read that these big trout are raised in separate pens, hence why they are not shy for handouts. Maybe Irvine could section out some of the lake for a trout petting zoo??!! Hopefully vine patrols will be on the lookout for snaggers. I've seen big fish like this get snagged. :(

Looking forward to taking my kids out this year. You can't beat Irvine for the overall trout/outdoor exp. especially being so close to urbanized areas.

Don

hooks
11-10-2010, 05:31 PM
:BabbleFish::BabbleFish::BabbleFish::Fishing Catch:
Cya on the water.
PS; Don, you're right. The Vine is by far the best "local fishing hole" around (been a local for about 30 years now). And the gang there is pretty cool too .

Marley
11-10-2010, 08:25 PM
The lines you paint to read between are as wide as an interstate. Pass the salt, please.

Thisfool
11-10-2010, 08:52 PM
in another post you talked about using nothing less then 6lb test for bait fishing, perhaps that big un showed all that interest and dint take the bait due to your heavier line maybe it was giving him second thoughts about it.

but any way congrats on the big limit

hooks
11-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Marley, what's that suppose to mean?
Thisfool, you maybe right but I've caught 100s of fish on six, so this having to use ultra light line stuff still doesn't hold any water for me.

El Capo
11-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Come on hooks, we know you are good, just not very sporting.LOL

hooks
11-11-2010, 09:52 AM
:BabbleFish::BabbleFish::Smash:
:Pillow Fight: ( I love these things)
It's all good. To each his own.
Tight lines (even if they're 2-4 pound test!)