PDA

View Full Version : Sierras nov 5-7

bstolton
11-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Left Bishop around 6 am and drove up to Virginia lakes, the gate was locked and the resort was closed. Walked down to little Virginia and followed the trail around to the backside of the lake. The weather was great, cold but no clouds and the sun was out. Setup one pole with an inflated NC and then setup another with a white power worm. The fishing was WFO, caught 25 fish all released except 2. Most were on the white PW and a few on red and pink. The biggest was on a NC at around 2lbs which I kept and another smaller fish that was gut hooked. All where nice rainbows except 1 brookie. My buddy also caught over 20 fish and kept 4 nice ones. In the 4-5 yrs I have been fishing this was my best day ever. We left around 12:30 and headed down to Toms place and had lunch, it was just starting to rain. We decided to drive up to Rock creek lake and give it a try even with the weather starting to turn. By the time we got to the lake and setup we where starting to get a few snow flurries. We both got bites right away on the NC but no takers. Then it started snowing pretty good and we never got another bite. After about an hour we decided to call it a day and head back to Bishop.
Sunday we got up early and headed up to lake Sabrina. We took the trail by the café to the inlet. This was my first time fishing Sabrina, my buddy had fished the lake before, but not from shore. Fishing was definitely slower here. It was almost 2 hours before I caught a fish and my buddy already had a couple on a stringer. I ended up catching 5 and keeping 3. Three on NC and 1 on an orange PW and 1 on a gold Thomas buoyant. My buddy caught 8 and kept his limit on NC and lures. We left around 11 am just as it was starting to rain.
All in all a pretty great weekend of fall fishing in the sierras
Bill

TROUT MASTERS
11-10-2010, 06:32 AM
Nice pic's,sound like you guys had a good time in god's country.
Thanks for the report...
Trout masters..

billy b
11-10-2010, 08:22 AM
What does "the gate was locked" mean. I'm thinking of going up for only my second time and I'm not familiar with the place completely as yet.

How many PW's did you try before you got to white. I have too many of them and probably not enough patience to try all of them. Should I give them about 5-10 minutes each ... and then try another? Are you split-shotting them?

Thanks for a great report ... interesting pictures. The one of the person sitting in the red with a chair looks about as inviting as it can be.

Thanks Bill

bill

bstolton
11-10-2010, 06:42 PM
The road splits before you get to big virginia, if you turn to the left it takes you to little virginia and the store. There is a gate there across the road so we had to park on the side of the road and walk down. The road to big virginia was open. I had just bought the white ones and couldn`t wait to try them, lucky choice. I usually start with orange and if no bites start changing colors. 2lb test with a #8 mosquito hook and small splitshot about 2-3 ft up. That was my buddy in his snow suit all warm and comfy.

Bill

billy b
11-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Bill -

Thanks for the help. I plan to hit Bport and maybe upper V ... I know it's not as good ... but I need to have easy walking access. At Big V I can pull almost up to the lake's edge ... and you were saying that is possible helps a lot

bstolton
11-11-2010, 07:13 PM
billy b
good luck and let us know how you do.

Bill

WAVEMHOME
11-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Nice report and pic's!

I think I recognize that cleaning station...Mountain View?

CL SmooV
11-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Sure is God's country!

I was havin' a tough night til I seen those pics.

Nice!

bstolton
11-17-2010, 07:57 PM
I think I recognize that cleaning station...Mountain View?

Yes. Good motel for fisherman, cheap, clean and on Line st.