PDA

View Full Version : 2 Big Duct DD Mothas

yolo
11-08-2010, 04:47 PM
On the way home from work I decided to stop at the duct. Hit first spot and nothing there. Walking back to truck and I see farmerjohn parked and ready to fish. We chat for awhile and he decides to not fish it since I didn't have any luck. We both go to another spot and after 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour, nothing there. We decide to head home and call it a day. He goes east and I head back home to the west.

My striper senses are telling me to make one more stop. I fight it as I am driving cause it's cold and windy but I give in to the intuition and turn off the highway to the spot. First cast nothing. Second, third, fourth and finally on the fifth I am working it mid water and I get a slam and drive home the hook and it is on. This sucker is a good one. I am battling it for 5+ minutes it does not want to wear out and I am under and past the buoys with it. Line is not rubbing so I am not too concerned. I am concerned that I can't make much progress on it. It finally turns and I am slowly winching it back to as it goes diagonal and heads for the other side of the duct with a backflow. It is in there hard and won't budge out of it. I have to try to hog it out of there and I get it to move and the mid swift current makes him surface. As I thought it was a big one. Easily 20+. It dives down and is heading in the fast mid current back under the buoys but before it gets there I tried to hog it back and turn it and it broke off my 15lb line on my spinning reel and took my yolo tickler lure. I am totally bummed at this point.

I tie a yolo tickler on my Curado with 12lb test. Luckily since I was at work today I was able to purchase some more as I only got one to try that I caught Saturday's fish on and lost today's monster on. Anyway, second cast and I get slammed again. I bury the hook and it is on. I can feel it's another good one. We repeat the same battle scenario and I work it for what felt like an eternity but more like 10 minutes and I finally land it. Grab it with my trusty gripper and slam it on the dirt. It is a very and I mean very fat 34" fish. I would say it's an easy 18 to 19 pounds. I am totally exhausted at this point. Arm pump is turning my arms to mush. The adrenaline pumping my blood gives me a headache, plus the wind in my face didn't help. I work it for 10 more minutes but nothing else bites. I figure I would call it a day.

If Khanh was holding the fish it might have been bigger than him? :Wink:

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2011-8-10/Duct11-8-10.jpg

cutbait
11-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Thats a FAT sucka!!!!

Striper looks big too...

Nice work Yalo:Cool:

fishinone
11-08-2010, 05:08 PM
That's a nice one Yolo.

I hope John got one on his way home too.

yolo
11-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I called him on my way home saying he's not going to believe what just happened to me. He too made one stop after we parted ways but didn't get anything.

kpn
11-08-2010, 05:36 PM
If Khanh was holding the fish it might have been bigger than him? :Wink:

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2011-8-10/Duct11-8-10.jpg

Hahahahaha .............That's very funny! Any DD will looks big on me :LOL:. And I don't mind to hold one either :Wink:.

Congrats on a job well done Yolo.
I got skunk in the last 3 times out, hopefully the fourth one is a charm :Wink:.

Khanh.

trail blazer
11-08-2010, 06:10 PM
WTG YOLO,,,,,,,,,,,,Yhats a goodan for sure

TRAIL BLAZER

yolo
11-08-2010, 06:16 PM
I got a couple of skunks at night too. I'm not going at night until things change. All my catches the past month+ have been in the daytime and at all times of the day. I would rather sleep at night.

Well to my surprise the fish had an empty stomach. It was all meat and thick meat. Even the belly meat was super thick. It was a female. She had a nice sized egg sack already. I knew the females can't resist the yolo tickler. :LOL:

She swallowed the tickler whole. Had her hooked in the upper throat.

CL SmooV
11-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Dang! Nice fish Yolo. Again.

FarmerJohn
11-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Out Standing Yolo,
That's a Porky alright. It figures it was in the spot I told you was the first spot I fished when I started ducting, and all I've found there was that Jurasic Carp!! Man I would love to have seen the one that broke you off!:Shocked::Thumbs Up: The only thing I got mad about when you called me was that did not go there after I left. Beleave it or not it crossed my mind but I guess I have'nt put enough time in yet to have Strippy Sences that tingle.:Envious: But there is one thing I've got my share of at the duct, :Skunk: the old SKUNKASARUS :Farmer::LOL:. It's all fun. And there is always tomarrow. So you call me or I'll call you and we'll try to give em hell again. "Nice Porky" FamerJohn

troutdog
11-09-2010, 01:09 AM
NIIIICE!!! That must have been quite the back to back rush....wtg on the duct lineside!

TD

fishinone
11-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Hahahahaha .............That's very funny! Any DD will looks big on me :LOL:. And I don't mind to hold one either :Wink:.

Congrats on a job well done Yolo.
I got skunk in the last 3 times out, hopefully the fourth one is a charm :Wink:.

Khanh.

That's a good idea Khanh. Next time I get a big fish, can I get you to hold it for a picture?:LOL:

HaiTheMeister
11-09-2010, 11:47 AM
WOW! what a nice looking fish! Congrats on another success Yolo!

yolo
11-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks all. Went this morning and got a 15" but a fatty 15". I almost thought I was in Bako :) Update on the flow. It is wide open flow again but the water level is really high and they seem to be pumping big time. The current is ripping like I have not seen before. It just seems to be more mass and speed to the water. The yolo tickler was not even fishable today. I don't recall the water behaving like this before. Can't explain it but even at a gate it was coming through like a freight train. The backflow was down about 60 yards from its normal position. Got the fish in open water. Just an fyi. I don't know how long this new flow pattern will last but the zones I have been catching them in the past several weeks and the technique I have been using is no longer valid. Bait fish everywhere. In a 1/4 mile walk I saw bait almost every inch of the waters edge in small schools.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2011-9-10/duct11-9-10.jpg

yolo
11-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Update on the fish that broke off yesterday. This morning I noticed that the eye from the tip is gone from that rod. It's probably fair to say that the back and forth fight could have made a weak spot on the line and when the fish ran and I was trying to muscle it back my line broke at a weak spot from the rubbing back and forth. Oh well that's fishing.

Marine_Michael
11-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Get off the computer and go build that rod rack for the truck ... so it's ready for our next outing.

yolo
11-09-2010, 05:05 PM
That's why I like 2 piece rods. They come apart and can be stored easier instead of always knocking the tip of a one piece into everything trying to get it in and out of a vehicle.

Yes I will be building some sort of rod holder for the mini truck bed.

M@M
11-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Now that is a great looking fish!!! WTG............sounds like there's alot more life in the water, there in the Palmdale area. I plan on giving it a try real soon.Again, congrats and thanks for the report.

brycek1984
11-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Dang, I am very emotionally erect looking at that fish.

yolo
11-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Now that is a great looking fish!!! WTG............sounds like there's alot more life in the water, there in the Palmdale area. I plan on giving it a try real soon.Again, congrats and thanks for the report.

Let me know when you can make it M@M.

Dang, I am very emotionally erect looking at that fish.

TMI

M@M
11-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Z, was just reading your post on Hook up.LOL. I got the same when I posted my 2nd DD there last Feb.:LOL: I will definitely let you know when I hit Palmdale, I need to see how it's done.

horgaszapacban
11-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Nice job, Yolo! Would you please leave some fish in the duct for us, too?:-)

yolo
11-10-2010, 05:52 AM
Z, was just reading your post on Hook up.LOL. I got the same when I posted my 2nd DD there last Feb.:LOL: I will definitely let you know when I hit Palmdale, I need to see how it's done.
Sounds good.

Nice job, Yolo! Would you please leave some fish in the duct for us, too?:-)

I release most of them :Big Grin:

kpn
11-10-2010, 07:40 AM
That's a good idea Khanh. Next time I get a big fish, can I get you to hold it for a picture?:LOL:

Ron,
It would be my honor to hold your big fish bro :Wink:.
Now the problem is......Go Get One......so I'll hold it for you :LOL:.

Khanh.

PS: Sorry Yolo for the thread jack.

kpn
11-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Thanks all. Went this morning and got a 15" but a fatty 15". I almost thought I was in Bako :) Update on the flow. It is wide open flow again but the water level is really high and they seem to be pumping big time. The current is ripping like I have not seen before. It just seems to be more mass and speed to the water. The yolo tickler was not even fishable today. I don't recall the water behaving like this before. Can't explain it but even at a gate it was coming through like a freight train. The backflow was down about 60 yards from its normal position. Got the fish in open water. Just an fyi. I don't know how long this new flow pattern will last but the zones I have been catching them in the past several weeks and the technique I have been using is no longer valid. Bait fish everywhere. In a 1/4 mile walk I saw bait almost every inch of the waters edge in small schools.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2011-9-10/duct11-9-10.jpg

Yolo,
I bet you, if I hold that fish, it will looks like a DD :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:.

Khanh.

TroutOnly
11-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Nice pig yolo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,