PDA

View Full Version : The Loop & B-port this past Weekend

Big Country
11-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Went up Wednesday to fish the end of the season. Hit Owens below the monument for a couple of fish and it was warm that entire afternoon. Fished Convict in the evening, but no luck from the shore.

Thursday morning headed to headquarters at Interlaken and gave Gull and Silver a good go for a few stockers, but nothing worth taking a pic of. I had a nice one come up right at the foot of the concrete dock at Gull chasing my cd9 and it was real nice, but just like a chick at Havasu, it simply flashed me and went on its way.

Friday was an epic day on Rush. We were 8 guys deep and we all c&r'd at least 15 fish each. Typical baits from salmon eggs to lures all worked. Watched my bro get broke off twice at the diversion dam (ha ha ha) and I had one of those little salmon egg hooks straightened out on me by a nice 2 or 3 lber. Most were in the 15" range and provided us with a great time.

Saturday headed up to B-port. Nothing in the morning on Res, so we did a quick tour of upper and lower twin and Little Virginia for a little bit of stocker action at each location. On the south side of the bridge between upper and lower, we saw a huge hen all beat to hell from spawning but she was easily a 15+ lb fish. Biggest one I've seen there in a few years. We got back to the Res around 4 pm and started chucking the secret baits their way. I was rewarded with a nice 4 lbs brown give or take a couple of ozs. We gave it hell in the wind and occassional rain until about 6:30 and then called it a night.

Sunday morning we took off, but it looked like the region was gonna get a nice dusting of snow. I've got buddies camped at the Res all week and I'm sure they will do better, especially the next couple of days when the pressure is low. They had already gotten a 8 lber when they got there Friday afternoon, but it was a rainbow, not a brown.

Here's a few pics of me and my bro and I have a couple of more on another camera that I'll get around to downloading at some point.

Piss on Myspace
11-08-2010, 09:14 PM
got to love this time......that hen must have been a trip to see...nice browns mang and thanks for the pics

TROUT MASTERS
11-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Nice browns,thanks for the pic's and report.

Big Country
11-09-2010, 04:14 PM
the hen was amazing...biggest fish I've ever seen there and was way bigger than the 14 lber I saw pulled out of lower a few years back, WAY BIGGER! She was really tore up to from the spawn which made us all wonder how big the male had to be in order to tear her up like that. We repeated tried to get a pic of her, but the reflection in the water, etc, just made it so you couldn't see it. We had a little tape measure there and doing the "thumb to eye" routine, put her at about 30 to 32 inches long. She was th only one in the channel too which was a big disappointment.

FSHNLIC
11-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Gotta luv them brownies.......... just a hunch, but I gotta feeling a good portion of the browns started the spawn at the end of Sept and first couple weeks of October in a lot of areas........

bstolton
11-09-2010, 09:05 PM
nice fish. was up at little virginia myself on saturday, good fishing and weather.

TroutOnly
11-10-2010, 08:56 AM
man i love those browns , i wished i could have fished grant at the close............t/o,,,,,,,,

Trout-Slayer77
11-11-2010, 11:15 AM
thanks for the post !! nice brownies, and that giant hen sounds amazing !! hopefully one day luck will be in my favor and ill land a trophy beast out of twin.

numbnuts
11-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Bad *** browns big country....love this time of year. Cant wait for the flows to drop at the Lower O, always some nice browns in there for sure.

Beancounter
11-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Sounds like you guys had a great time.
That's one beauty of a brown BC!
Thanks for sharing your trip to God's country.

flytyingreloader
11-21-2010, 08:11 AM
I hit Silver Lake on the Loop on 11/13. Dropped the boat in and trolled--drifted--baited/waited--and yo-yo'ed for 7 hours, very little love. Beautiful day, though--and a number of nice weekend folks fishing in the chilly air and doing better than I did--on shore and floating. Good on 'em! A pair of tubers were CLEANING UP on slow-trolled Buggers of some sort using fly tackle. They were working my usual haunts that parallel the highway about 75-125 yards out.

Water was cold, 43 degrees all day at the surface. Thermocline was ~15 feet down, few fish at that line. LOTS of fish on the meter, huddled in large groups right on the bottom in 40-50 feet of water. Probably near warm springs, acting like beer drinkers at a campfire. I dropped 'crawlers on their heads for a while, zero interest.......then tried yo-yo'ing like a subcompact yellowtail prospector with spoons and spinners. I got the trout fin-ger for these efforts.

The trout I did get came late in the day on a trolled 1/4 oz. Dardevle in yellow/red "5-of-diamonds" pattern. Talk about Old School lures. Ah, well--season is over, time to concentrate on chukar hunting for Thanksgiving dinner.