PDA

View Full Version : 11.6 Pounder on 11/6...Report

MAVERICK27
11-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Well, fellow FNN, Team 57 family……As many of you know, I have gone mostly to the dark side and become a die-hard Bass Hunter. However, I never forget my roots fishing trout as a kid on the Kern River and Lake Isabella. It will always be a part of the outdoor lifestyle for me and many of us.

That being said, I had decided to target my beloved green monsters, with a back-up plan to play with the sizable trout I had been hearing about so far. I wanted to let the weather and bass activity (or lack of) decide how long I hunt before I switch gears. So, here is the result.

First person I see at the gate was Daniella AKA Vineline. What a pleasant way to start a Saturday! Thanks for asking about the family and wishing me luck. Water temp upon launching at 0715 hours was about 64 degrees. Condition was stained and murky with about 3-4 feet visibility depending on location. There was very little wind but really picked up throughout the day.

I started in the back of the flats and metered a TON of shad activity, but the bass seemed to be sparse up shallow. I picked off one 2 lb’r on plastics and missed one. Time now was around 9 am. Switched baits to deeper cranks and such to target 15 feet of water and jumped on the trolling motor. I had a small one come unbuttoned and a 4 Lb’r follow and bite at my bait but came immediately detached. Oh well! I changed spots to Sierra Cove to fish the Tooleys. I saw a couple of MONSTER trout swimming for foliage in the shallows. After several baits and techniques and only small bass followers, I tossed small plastics for trout and hung a nice 4 lb’r. Great average fish size! Nice fight on light tackle too.

Well, off to the West Shore I go and tossed a few cranks and spinners all the way to Boat Dock Cove for nada! I noticed the wind blowing in the direction of the Lagoon at about 10mph and some water coming out of the pipes. I figured there had to be bait there! There was a ton and crashing. Only to find out, after casting a few hundred times with various shad colored baits, that it was mostly small birds chasing the shad under water. A few dead shad came to the surface, so I was able to match that bait exactly! I was tossing with my light spinning rod when I saw what that it was most likely trout chasing bait as well.

After seeing a crash, I went to cast my Phenix Elixir spinning rod with a crank on it, but I had a loop in the reel. I figured I’d do the next best thing and cast my baitcaster to the scene. The crank was the exact bait as the spinning rod, but had been marinating in Bite On Garlic!! The bass rod was not my first choice, since it was spooled with 10lb mono and was a 7’ Phenix Ultra MBX Classic bass rod! Necessity over preference sometimes. Nothing on the cast to the crash site, so I fan casted the area and then it happened!!! My rod just absolutely STOPPED! I thought it may be hung up, but a sudden head and shoulder tug sent the 7 footer FULL bendo! I thought it had to be a huge fish to do that, so I set the hook with authority.
Once I got the fish to the surface, I noticed it was an above average trout. Holding my rod with one hand, I had to get my net untangled and out of my bow storage box. Luckily, the fish headed for deeper water in the meantime. As soon as I brought it up again, I saw the beast….and he saw the net! With my drag nearly all the way buttoned down, he STILL peeled some line, so I was forced to hand feed about ten feet of line to the Titan for fear of breaking the 10 lb test!! After two short pumps, the fish came back up and found himself in the net! The fish actually bent the rim of the net! Granted it was my smaller cheap net. The jaw on this fish looked like a hook and he was colored like a brown!
Well, I have worked hard and spent a lot of time on the water…especially at my home lake Irvine. So, I think Christmas just came early for me this year! I’d like to thank the team at Bite On Attractants for the quality product, to the guys at Phenix Rods for supporting my passion with the incredible rods that bested the beast and made it appear easy, and the Staff at Irvine lake for providing the Anglers with such quality adversaries to hunt! Enjoy the photos and enjoy our beloved sport for what it does for us and our familes! Thanks for reading.

Here is the picture that Jimmy took for Irvine Lake’s Site. Gotta love the blood drop caught in mid-air!

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/Big%20Trout/IrvineBeast.jpg
I guess this guy was thirsty after the battle!

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/Big%20Trout/trouteatingcan.jpg

This cutting board is fairly big. Fish went 26 Inches long and 18 Inches girth!

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/Big%20Trout/CuttingBoard.jpg

Here’s a shot of the hook jaw

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/Big%20Trout/Trouthead.jpg

Bite On garlic Attractant, a HUGE advantage that day!

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/Big%20Trout/BiteonTrout2.jpg

Phenix Rods a Giterdun tool for sure!

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/Big%20Trout/Phenixtrout.jpg

Perspective Pic

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/Big%20Trout/BiteonTrout.jpg

MRB1185
11-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Man, landing one of those will make your entire season! Good job and congrats.

Trout Nine
11-08-2010, 01:55 PM
WTG MAVERICK!
Good report & Nice looking fish keep up the good work!

MAVERICK27
11-08-2010, 01:56 PM
MRB- Thanks! Yeah, now I can relax the rest of the season with a smile :)

Trout Nine- Gracias! Hope we see ya at the Vine again this season!

troutdog
11-08-2010, 01:58 PM
AWESOME fish Mav, a DD right of the gate...does it get any better?

I noticed the mid-air blood drop as well, great picture!

TD

Sublime-Steve
11-08-2010, 02:01 PM
what color was the meat on that bad boy?

fishinone
11-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Nice catch.

Thank you for the report, I enjoyed reading it.

Rooster
11-08-2010, 02:05 PM
That a kid,, Your a great rep for some great products. Congrats Chris, You deserve everything that comes to you my brother :Thumbs Up:

MAVERICK27
11-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks TD, that's a real compliment from you. You have a hot stick Brother. This is YOUR season

Sublime-Steve- It was very very light pink. The steaks filets were thicker than an ocean fish! Haven't eaten it yet..

MAVERICK27
11-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Fishinone- Thanks man. I read good things from you as well.

Rooster- You are awesome Bro! I'm trying. If nothing else, I make alot of effort!!!

Troutman65
11-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Mav, Thanks for posting up the report. I enjoyed reding it . Congrats on that monster trout. .:Cool::Envious:

MAVERICK27
11-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Patrick!! Great to see ya on here. Miss seein your smiling face on the water. Thanks for the kind words.

Ifishtoolittle
11-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Man forget about spinners and 2lb I need to get me a baitcaster and 10pm mono specifically for trout! Nice work Maverick!

El Capo
11-08-2010, 03:04 PM
I love it! What a hog!

MAVERICK27
11-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Ifishtoolittle- Haha, wouldn't it be great if we could run bass gear and hook big trout all day? That would be a sick day!!

El Capo- Thanks man! It was cool meeting you at the Phenix booth at the Sportfishing Show in Costa Mesa too!!

El Capo
11-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Ifishtoolittle- Haha, wouldn't it be great if we could run bass gear and hook big trout all day? That would be a sick day!!

El Capo- Thanks man! It was cool meeting you at the Phenix booth at the Sportfishing Show in Costa Mesa too!!

I want to get into some of those bass with you one of these days too when there is an opening.

MAVERICK27
11-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Absolutely! With the weather change and things this weekend, it was a little slow. Let me know and we'll go get some together.

BigBass777
11-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Wow! Great catch! That fish was in a shad feeding frenzy when ya found it. Perfect timing. The hooked jaw on that fish is cool. Your next challenge to to catch a bigger one now!

the killa fish taco
11-08-2010, 03:52 PM
WAY TO GO CHRIS!!!!! You have set the bar on the opening weekend....

MAVERICK27
11-08-2010, 03:56 PM
BigBass777- Yeah for sure! Right place, right time I guess. Wow, what would I do if I caught a bigger one this year? .....Play the LOTTERY!!! Haha

The killa fish taco- Thanks Aaron!! i'm sure you'll pass me up soon Bud! probably tubing with a mini jig ;)

Hometown
11-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Nice job on the DD trout its sounds like there stocking a reallly nice grade of fish.

MAVERICK27
11-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Yo Hometown! Yes Sir!, that seems to be the consensus of the folks that fished this weekend. It certainly is for me :)

the killa fish taco
11-08-2010, 04:38 PM
The killa fish taco- Thanks Aaron!! i'm sure you'll pass me up soon Bud! probably tubing with a mini jig ;)

yeah seriously, i need to get my lazy *** up and get back on the tube..... maye this thursday ;)

CALFISHER4EVR
11-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Congrats on that brute!!! What a way to start the trout season. Your smile says it all. I am going to have to try that fish sauce I see everyone is using in their pics

bones
11-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Great play by play report there Chris ! That is one toad for sure!
You really had me going there so good I felt like I was fighting the fish with ya!
Maybe you were just in a daze at the time but the Irvine lake staff put you down for sticking her on the troll dude.
I've heard of a small difference in story but geeeeze....... Your buddies at Irvine don't share in your glory!
Is it possible there were TWO fish ?

Straight from the Irvine Report update for the week....

The catch of the weekend was Chris "Maverick" Mason of Irvine with a huge 11.o6 caught on the troll.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i323/Irvine_Lake/P1030079.jpg

TopwaterTony
11-08-2010, 06:55 PM
WoW Mav ... that's a nice fish for sure! Good job!

hooks
11-08-2010, 07:26 PM
NICE FISH !!!!!!
Congrats. on the monster ! Thanks for proving my point that you don't have to troll with 4 or 6 to catch fish (I use 18 -20!!!).
I'll be there in the morn .....
tight lines...

RiversideTrout77
11-08-2010, 07:29 PM
wow thats one hell of a hog. I definetly need to get my *** out to irvine this season. Thanks for the report and pics.

Miguel
RT77

Sublime-Steve
11-08-2010, 09:03 PM
when's dinner :-)

VinePatrol
11-08-2010, 10:02 PM
yea nice one Maverick! :Cool:

Hitts0n
11-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Thats what im talking about and im glad I seen it in pers0n !!

I hope 2 see you in 2 weeks my brotha! Anf congrats once again !

HittZ

fish ful
11-09-2010, 09:43 AM
good fish chris. but that's not a bass.....but i'm sure it put a smile on your face for a couple days. Love the report too. great details. bummer i wasn't on the boat...i could of been "net boy" again for you.

Hit me up if you go out and need someone to net those monsters for ya.

MAVERICK27
11-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Hey guys, thanks again for the kind words. This family definitely makes ya feel good. Its those times that get ya through the tough days on the water!!

Bones- good catch! Not many people toss cranks for trout, so when you hear of a catch on one, most assume it was trolling. I definitely casted a total of probably 60-80 times with different baits in that small area. I was parked there for a little over an hour.

Hooks- I agree with you with the trolling heavy line. I troll 6-10 myself, but this was not a troll fish. Same principle though. You do not need light line to get a reaction bite on a bait that is moving fast. I would say that slower presentations like mini jigs etc and also clear water would need very light line as trout are generally known to be line shy.

Fishful- Net boy? Hell you have caught your share of good fish on the back of my boat Preston!!! Let's get out there. Saturday? text me

Señor.Chilax
11-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Nice double digit to start the trout season. I saw that thing in person and it was huge, congrats Mav.

TaperSteve
11-09-2010, 10:30 AM
What a beautiful looking bow!!! :Bug Eyes:

I love how that hook jaw looks, just like a brown.

Way to go Mav! :Thumbs Up:

TS

MAVERICK27
11-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Mr. Chilax- Cool seeing you at the Vine. You had a couple solid fish too! Thanks for the props!

Steve- Thansk man, I thought it was a very different looking fish. Might make a cool mount.

DaBasser
11-09-2010, 01:42 PM
What a nice catch. When I read the 11.6 lber heading, I thought you had caught a huge bass. lol
What a surprise when it turned out to be a monster trout. You just made me more regretful for not being able to make the trip with you. ha ha.

Psycho_fish'r
11-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Great report! Amazing fish! Great job!

MAVERICK27
11-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Hitts- Awesome seeni you Bro. Hopefully I can make it to the Turkey Bowl for the THIRD year. Thanks for putting that together!!

DaBasser- I thought for sure you would have gotten a hold of me to fish Saturday. and....don't I wish it was an 11lb bass? LOL

Psycho- Thanks for the compliment!