PDA

View Full Version : Ventura 11/6 & 11/7

JP
11-07-2010, 11:07 PM
My buddy Steve and I spent the weekend in Ventura at his uncles house on Faria beach. What beautiful place!

We woke up early Saturday morning to chilly weather. Put on waders and started working the beach. There was so much salad in the water, that snags were the norm. We finally found a stretch of beach where the fish wanted to bite and the salad was minimal, and worked it hard until our hunger overcame us.

After lunch and a short nap, we were back at it. Then we decided to head into Ventura to Eric's Tackle for some additional intel. What a great little store. Eric mentioned a few places, and even showed us where they were on Google maps. Thanks dude! :)

We headed back up the road to check these new spots. Unfortunately we were running out of daylight, but managed a few fish before calling it for the night.

Back at the house Steve's aunt had dinner waiting, and we feasted like kings.

This morning was even colder than yesterday, but warmed up quicker. Fishing slower too, but we still managed to catch some decent numbers.

The two things I found interesting: First were the extreme tides, and how much the beach changed. What I thought were big troughs were actually small ripples in the sand. Secondly, these fish fought harder than the ones we catch in OC.

Our baits of choice were the Big Hammer Root-beer gold flake grub, GSW crack, and the 3/8 oz. Kastmaster. I tried the LC several different times, but had no takers.

Fish totals: Saturday 38 BSP to 14", 1 WSP, and 1 Rubber lip Perch (a new one for us). Sunday 13 BSP, and 1 WSP.

We had a great time and will be back for more. Sorry, I'm to tired to post pics.

murrieta angler
11-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Sounds like a good weekend to me.
I dream of the day when my kids are grown, educated and out on their own.
My wife and I will be living at the beach and I will fish whenever I want...:Big Grin:
Thanks for the report,

Robert
<><

Wingnut
11-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Very nice! That's some good fishing right there. :Big Grin: